Subject: A terrific cliffhanger of a game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scipio O.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My setup as Allies reflected a plan - soon to be disrupted - to drive down the center.

8am: The Allies advance. In the south, Dokhtorov seeks to take advantage of the French decision to start with a unit blocking Kienmeyer.

9am: Action in the south escalates and Kienmeyer joins Dokhtorov after an independent brigade launches an early attack at Legrand, finding (and reducing) a guard cavalry, at significant cost to itself. (Note: the revealed French units represent Allied intelligence-gathering as the battle develops.)

10am: An unexpected early battle erupts on the foot of the Pratzen Heights, with Langeron launching an expensive sacrificial assault that leaves a weak St. Hilaire on the approach. Lichtenstein, who had moved to support Kienmeyer & Dokhtorov, is barely able to race back by road to hold the heights because Legrand has been reduced to a single block corps - but Legrand leads a powerful guard unit that threatens the hill from its southern flank.

11am: St. Hilaire, Langeron & Lichtenstein all step back from the early AM clash as the Allies return to their original plan. Bagration & Constantine advance and Prebyshevsky, Kollowrath are ready. But Kienmeyer & Dokhtorov continue to press, feeling that a weakened French right wing is near collapse.

1pm: The Allies have pushed the French back in the usual manner. They are well positioned to press forward and the time is late enough that French reinforcements will have trouble reaching the distant star locales. Yet Dokhtorov has managed to get himself entangled in Sokolnitz; he feels he's so CLOSE to getting a star and/or forcing the French reinforcements.

2pm closeup: Dokhtorov pays a disastrous price as the French pull him every which way and then bring on Davout to deal the crushing blow. Kienmeyer can only watch as 6 morale points get rounded up - small solace that it takes the French guards to pull off the surrender. Allied morale is now around 4.

3pm: Kienmeyer's isolated infantry corps races to get away, giving up a precious morale point at a time in retreat rather than get surrounded. The remainder of the Allied army digs in and even with just 2 morale looks pretty safe... until a French cavalry flanking attack exposes the Allied guards (at 4pm). But the cav are eliminated, and exposure of the Allied guards cannot drop morale below 1. Where it now sits.

4pm before / after. It takes an odd -- and surprisingly "gamey" -- set of moves by Allied cavalry (racing up onto 2 approaches) and single-block corps to race enough units back and keep the straggling, 1-strength infantry from giving up the final morale point through the French 4pm turn.

No morale is lost, and the Allies eke out the win. Dokhtorov is taken to the toolshed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re: Just one morale is still a win
Excellent session report and excellent game, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. Indeed no two games are alike! Scipio, as the Allied, would you say that Kienmayer's Nightmare was justified?

The victory is well-deserved because the French expended their reserves in foreign soil yet failed to annihilate the enemy forces. Vienna will probably be retaken (Davout left it open) and Austria will stay in the war, timid Prussia will probably join it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the session report. Like no game I've played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew, so close! What a thriller. Did you have any fingernails left afterwards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

Stephen, I love this game. I lack the skill to write a session report and you did a very good one.

This is my first game as the French and its aggressive stance developed a surprise outcome to me.

The idea to press forward to Pratzen Heights is very interesting since I believe the French should stay on defensive in early morning.

Even when Dokhtorov could secure a star, I think the strong presence of French cavalry in the south was able to cut their LOC. But what fun it is for a marginal victory? I called out the reinforcement to deal a blow to the Allied army and aimed for a decisive victory. My cardinal mistake was that I never thought of Kienmeyer corps would try to retreat before combat. I was too confident that the cavalry attacked out of proper order such that Kienmeyer lost only one morale point by breaking out. In retrospect, if the cavalry could attack from the east first and another from west afterward, the Kienmeyer corps would lose at least 2 strength point and 2 morale accordingly. With the drop of morale by committing the Allied Guard, the last morale point could be easily acquired by getting rid of the surrounded lone Allied cavalry near Sokolnitz.

I learnt a very good lesson. Don't be over-confient and lost your focus. A mistake in NT would cause you the game. Overall, NT is a good game that is worth playing over and over again.

Well done, Stephen!! I look forward to our next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's about as successful of an aggressive French gambit as I've seen. Well done. Oh so, close!

Thanks for posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scipio O.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe, you have been a quick study and a great opponent. I had to change the title of the post because... having a fun, tense game is worth much more than winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

Thanks for your compliment. I always think that games have to be fun before everything else. If a strategy guarantees a victory but is dull to implement, I will just dismiss it.

Happy gaming!! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.