David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now had a chance to play just over half of the battles in the new Austrian expansion and I must say that I love it. Apart from Memoir 44 I have all of your Commands and Colors products and I really enjoy playing them. However, in the Napoleonic system I think the Austrians come the closest to the base game in offering a strong and challenging opponent to the French.

I wasn't happy about the removal of the quick reference card but it pains me to say that even though I made my own I have learnt to live without it. So you were right about that. I would have liked to see a better variety of French units used at times but my knowledge of the battles is not detailed and so perhaps the Young and Old Guard were not present at these battles.

I love the national character that you give us in Napoleonics armies (not really found in Ancients apart from the Spartans).

I can't wait for the Prussians to arrive (something of the Wellington in me, perhaps). I see GMT plan second quarter delivery but that probably means the third quarter; any way you can move them along a bit as they have over 900 copies chalked up on GMT500.

I would also love more info on the Grand Battles and Marshals and Generals expansions if you could see your way clear to provide it.

In short I love your games and want more.
Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 With David

David: I used to battle once a week for several years with a British gentleman on Vassal. The main advantage over the american contacts was the TIME ZONE. We used a regular day & hour rendez-vous for that and we both Wellington / Napoleon enjoyed it a lot. This gentleman can't play anymore with me but if you are tempted even for some few battles ... I'm "GG" on vassal, I use Skype and I'm ready to show you why The "Red Coats" were right not to cross the channel before 1815 ...

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice post that I mostly agree with.

I do feel a difference in cca between the Romans, Greeks, etc though. It is not limited to the Spartans.

The series does a remarkable job giving a good feel of whatever period, without remarkable complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve, you are of course right and I am happy to stand corrected. When I think about it the differences are there in the Ancients armies but perhaps more subtle than in Napoleonics. The Barbarians have their many chariots but no heavy infantry and the Romans develop over time with their Marian and Julian rule changes. I'm sure that there are other differences that I have forgotten.

Very best regards
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guillaume

I have only ever played solo games and would love to play another player. I have never used Vassal and will look into using it because it would be great to play a game with a real opponent. I may well be in touch in the New Year.

Have a great Christmas
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Groves wrote:
Guillaume

I have only ever played solo games and would love to play another player.

David, where in the UK do you live? I live in Bedfordshire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Martin

I live in Essex not too far from Southend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be in London in early Feb for a work trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I work in Waterloo, London. I don't think we would have time to fit a quick game in though, do you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.