Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery» Forums » Variants

Subject: Improve Intrigue phase. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Justiz

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just received this game as a gift and I love it. After 3 plays i feel the intrigue phase is a little weak. I believe the fact that an unlimited amount of cards can be played per turn is lame. There is no strategy involved. Has no one come up with any variants to improve this portion of the game? Why not have scheme cards cost money to play instead of influence? Or maybe have the combination of both money and influence to play cards? The money would only be paid upon a successful scheme. This would bring a new element towards resource management in the game. This is just an idea, does anyone else have any suggestions on how to improve this portion of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I wouldn't want the intrigue phase to be much stronger, as that would make the other phases weaker by default. The game is not about intrigue only, any more than it is about combat only (which has been 'tweaked' no end on these forums).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also feel no need to add more restrictions to intrigue. The influence and hand limits are enough to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing all your intrigue cards on one turn will leave you vulnerable the next. So, no, I think the intrigue phase is really good as it is now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus isn't there a limit on how many cards you can have in hand anyways?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlphaRalpha wrote:
I believe the fact that an unlimited amount of cards can be played per turn is lame. There is no strategy involved.

Just because you can play as many cards as you want doesn't mean it's the best thing to do to play them all. Some cards you'll decide are best left unplayed for a later use and others you just simply don't play right away because you don't have enough influence (or support) or because is pretty pointless using them at that exact moment. And sure, in that case you can sell the cards for money, but you have to decide if that's the best course of action or if it's better to hold to them. It seems to me that, contrary to your belief, there is strategy involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
I find the intrigue phase to lack... intrigue. There is not plotting of schemeing like in the show. It's just a hand management mini game, and a pretty unexciting one at that. I've pondered how to plkake the phase more interesting and interactive, but it'd require a revision of the game methinks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I usually think it has lots of intrigue!!

Player A: Hey B, help me do a scheme to screw C
Player B: Nah, I'm good
Player A: Really? oh well.. C, will you help me mess up with B?
Player C: Sure!!
Player B: Oh, but A if you do that, then I will be forced to do this to you
Player D: Ohoh, I think I might be getting screwed soon

Or showing someone a really powerful scheme, and ask them for help peeling off guards frm the current leader, so he will be more vulnerable to the next scheme

etc, etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Roberts
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We have played this a few times now and quite enjoy it. I have felt the intrigue phase needs something extra. What I have thought we should be doing is have a five minute or so break at the beginning of the intrigue phase to discuss plans with other players while not at the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Maliński
Poland
Gliwice
flag msg tools
Aranea PzLehr wrote:
We have played this a few times now and quite enjoy it. I have felt the intrigue phase needs something extra. What I have thought we should be doing is have a five minute or so break at the beginning of the intrigue phase to discuss plans with other players while not at the table.

I have recently posted a possible twist to the Intrigue Phase: "A new idea of Intrigue Cards drawing mechanic". I'll hope it brings some improvement. Any remarks are welcomed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.