Subject: Making a Guide, but on what? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, everyone! While we're all waiting for the newest episode of BattleGUIDES and BattleTIPS to come out, I was wondering if you guys would like some written guides for anything!

This is, of course, outside the realm of character guides because the videos will feature that.

Are there any mechanics, basics, or other aspects of the game that you want to learn more about?

If so, post them here! I might make a guide for it!

Note: This is mainly for the new Battlers who have trouble grasping certain concepts regarding the game and feel like they need a written guide to help, is all!

Now, if there's nothing to discuss, then that's good too! ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I think positioning would be a good guide. It would highlight the importance of planning ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps a series of guides on how the various Bases (which is to say, Almighty, EX, Beta) interact with each other, and how to get the most out of each would be good.

As mentioned above, a guide on Positioning would also be really good for helping players get into the game and understanding what's going on.

Finally, maybe a look at the various play modes and how they change the way the game is played out - for example, how does your planning change when you play 2v1 or 3v1 with either the EX or Almighty bases; how does your strategy change with Strikers, Tag Team, or both in play; how does the strategy for the DungeonQuest compare to that of the base game, etc. Really, there's quite a lot of material (that last one particularly) to write on, and it's all things that can quite drastically change the way the game is played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:
Perhaps a series of guides on how the various Bases (which is to say, Almighty, EX, Beta) interact with each other, and how to get the most out of each would be good.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1089294/base-case-a-guide-to...

Ahead of you there!

Magius wrote:
As mentioned above, a guide on Positioning would also be really good for helping players get into the game and understanding what's going on.

I think that this is something worth talking about.

Magius wrote:
Finally, maybe a look at the various play modes and how they change the way the game is played out - for example, how does your planning change when you play 2v1 or 3v1 with either the EX or Almighty bases; how does your strategy change with Strikers, Tag Team, or both in play; how does the strategy for the DungeonQuest compare to that of the base game, etc. Really, there's quite a lot of material (that last one particularly) to write on, and it's all things that can quite drastically change the way the game is played.

The key problem I have in tackling this topic is that it needs to play upon the basics that the single-player mode has. This includes the Base Pentagon, Range, Positioning and so on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mnmkami wrote:
Magius wrote:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1089294/base-case-a-guide-to...

Ahead of you there!

Yeah, I saw that (great writeup by the way). I was thinking more of how the Beta, EX, and Almighty base sets change up the ideas from the base set - how they're more powerful, what they do differently, and how you would counter them when using the standard bases.

Definitely looking forward to seeing more guides from you (and I'll definitely print them out and hand them to a friend who is having trouble grasping some of the ideas in the game - despite landing a 7 point hit that ended up giving the win to him and another friend when we played 2v1 last night).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose for the positioning guide, you could look at the 7 space track and detail the advantages and disadvantages for each position. For example, how the end spaces allow you to prevent an opponents dash, but may leave you out of range if the opponent retreats away to the other end.

Or that holding the centre space allows you to attack any opponent within range 3, making Shit a sure thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:
Yeah, I saw that (great writeup by the way). I was thinking more of how the Beta, EX, and Almighty base sets change up the ideas from the base set - how they're more powerful, what they do differently, and how you would counter them when using the standard bases.

I do have a problem with dealing with EX, Almighty, and Beta bases. You see, these are variants and not meant for "competitive" play (though, some might argue that the Beta Bases have their own competitive merit). The thing is that these deviate highly from what is deemed "standard play." I think writing a guide about it will be useful later on, but not now when most of the newbies are still having trouble Grasping the standard.

Rook96 wrote:
I suppose for the positioning guide, you could look at the 7 space track and detail the advantages and disadvantages for each position. For example, how the end spaces allow you to prevent an opponents dash, but may leave you out of range if the opponent retreats away to the other end.

Or that holding the centre space allows you to attack any opponent within range 3, making Shit a sure thing.

I'll probably just go through every single possible board positioning possible. That's 42 possible combinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chavez
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Weren't we supposed to get an episode about Special Actions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShroudedInMyth wrote:
Weren't we supposed to get an episode about Special Actions?

It'll be an episode! Not a written guide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.