Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henning D.
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought the game, read the rules and played some. However I came accross the following rule questions for which I'd like to ask for clarification.

1.) Can the special power of Dwarf score the 2 bonus points of Niohoggr?
Rules for Dwarf say: "When you place this tile, sum the values of all adjacent tiles and score half of that sum rounded down." and rules for Niohoggr say: "When you score a line with one or more Niohoggr tiles in it, you score two extra bonus points per Niohoggr in the line./i]". So will the Dwarf's special ability also score the two bonus points? For example:

Fenrir, Niohoggr
Raven

Now I place Dwarf like that:

Fenrir, Niohoggr
Raven, Dwarf

Does Dwarf score (4+7)/2 rounded down = 5 points or (4+7+2)/2 rounded down = 6 points?

2.) Can the Dwarf score twice?
The Dwarf is also a tile with a value. So can he score via his value, too? If yes, is it possible that he scores in two ways and sums up the points, like 1.) via his special power and 2. via his value? For example:

Loki
Odin

Now I place Dwarf below Odin like this:

Loki
Odin
Dwarf

Do I score 4 + 3 = 7 points for special power plus the line domination score or only 4 points for his special power?

3.) Can Sea Serpent get the 2 bonus points from Niohoggr?
Rules say: "[i]When you score a line with one or more Niohoggr tiles in it, you score two extra points per Niohoggr in the line.
" and "You still score two extra points if Loki is next to a Niohoggr.". So can Sea Serpent also score the 2 bonus points? For example:

Niohoggr
Loki
Hel

Now when I place Sea Serpent below Hel do I get 4 or 6 points? (Notice the line is separated via Hel)

4.) Does Raven take away zero-tokens?
Rules say: "Whenever a Loki tile is placed on the board, put a zero token over the value of all adjacent tiles (excluding other Loki tiles)." and for Freya: "If a boosted tile is covered up by a Dragon, Raven or Hel tile, the booster token is returned to the supply.". Because the zero tokens and non-zero token look similar and in order to make this 100% clear: If Raven covers a tile that is adjacent to Loki and has a zero token on it, will this zero token be returned to the supply leaving the tile with its normal value, meaning it's value is not zero any more? For example:

Loki
Thor_with_zero_token

Now Raven is first placed on Thor then below Thor. Now, is the value of Thor 7 or still zero?

5.) Niohoggr +2 bonus for placing Niohoggr?
The rules for Niohoggr say you get +2 point for scoring any line with Niohoggr in it. Does that include when you initially place Niohoggr, assuming it scores? Or does the Niohoggr have to already exist in the line?

6.) Two extra points for *Skadi* placed on top of Niohoggr?
Rules say: "If you cover up a Niohoggr with a Dragon or Raven tile, you score the two extra only if you score the line.". What about Skadi? Does it also score the two extra points when placed on top of a Niohoggr and while it scores a line? I have my assumptions but want to clarify this 100%, thanks.

7.) Can Raven be placed normally?
Rules say: "You can place the Raven on top of another tile, following the same placement rules as the Dragon.". Since it is not defined explicitly: beside placing the Raven on top of another tile, may I also place it the 'normal' way, meaning *not* on top of another tile but next to another tile?

8.) Does Lightning Bolt score a > 1 long line with width = 1?
Rules say:
"The Lightning Bolt scores the shortest of the two lines it is in (lightning always takes the shortest path to the ground) even if this tile does not have the highest value in that line. The shortest possible line is two tiles.".
So imagine the Lightning Bolt tile is placed on top of a tile that is within a long line of width 1. For example the Lightning Bolt shall be placed on top of the Troll here:

Troll
Skadi
Thor
Dragon

Does the Bolt score 4 points or no points? Because the rules could be understood in two ways:

a) The shortest of the two lines that contain the Troll is 1 (vertical line has length 4 whereas the horizontal line has length 1). Since the "shortest possible line is two tiles", the shorter line of 1 in this case does not score. Or ...

b) Look at the horizontal and vertical lines the target tile is in and among them check those that have a length of two or more. Score an amount of points as high as the number of tiles in the shortest of those lines.

9.) Does Jotunn bump booster tokens?
Rules for Freya say: "The booster token remains on top of its tile for the rest of the game, with some exceptions: (...)". To make this 100% clear: If Jotunn bumps a tile that has booster tokens on it, will the booster tokens be bumped together with the bumped tile or will the booster tokens stay at the position and only the tile will be bumped? Example:

Thor(+1)
Odin

Now Jotunn pushes Thor down the line. Will the +1 token be

a) on top of Thor like this:

Jotunn
Odin
Thor(+1)

or b) on top of Jotunn like this:

Jotunn(+1)
Odin
Thor

10.) Two extra points for Niohoggr placed adjacent to only Hel?
Rules for Hel say: "You may place a tile adjacent to only a Hel tile. This will start a new line of one and scores 1 point.". While rules for Niohoggr say: "When you score a line with one or more Niohoggr tiles in it, you score two extra bonus points per Niohoggr in the line.". So, if I place my Niohoggr adjacent to only a Hel tile:

Hel
Niohoggr

...will I score 1 point or 1+2=3 points?

11.) Does Lightning Bolt score two extra points for a line containing Niohoggr?
Rules for Niohoggr say: "When you score a line with one or more Niohoggr tiles in it, you score two extra bonus points per Niohoggr in the line.". And rules for Lightning Bolt say: "The Lightning Bolt scores the shortest of the two lines it is in even if this tile does not have the highest value in that line." and "A Lightning Bolt scores 2 extra points if placed on top of a Niohoggr tile.". What about placing Lightning Bolt not *on top* of Niohoggr: In case there are Niohoggr tiles in the shorter of the two lines that the Lightning Bolt scores, will I score 2 extra points per Niohoggr? Example:

Thor
Niohoggr
Niohoggr
Odin, Thor, Thor, Thor, Thor

Now if I place Lightning Bolt on top of Odin, Will I score 4+2+2=8 points?

12.) Second placement of Raven mandatory?
Rules for Raven say: "You may place the Raven twice in the same turn.". Does this mean that a player does not *need to do* the second placement of his Raven meaning that he may resign from doing the second placement? I ask because maybe the player wants the first to be the final placement and don't want to place his Raven at a *different* second location.

13.) Raven after Hermod: second placement in same line as Hermod?
Rules for Hermod say: "After placing Hermod, you may immediately place another tile in the same line as Hermod is placed.". Since Raven may be placed twice: When I have played Hermod, then first placed Raven in the same line as Hermod, do I need to place it secondly also in the same line as Hermod or may I choose the second placement freely?

14.) What value has a Fenrir next to Loki with regard to a Dwarfs score?
Rules for Dwarf say:
"When you place this tile sum the values of all adjacent tiles and score half of that sum rounded down." and

"Keep in mind that the actual value of a Fenrir tile in a line is the sum of all Fenrir tiles in that line (see rules base game). And tiles next to a Loki tile have a value of '0'.".

Additionally in the official FAQ is says:
"The value of a Fenrir tile is the sum of its face value plus the face value of all other Fenrir tiles in the line. However, if a Fenrir tile is placed next to a Loki tile, its face value is changed to zero. Therefore, when a Fenrir tile is placed next to a Loki tile, its value is simply the sum of all other Fenrir tiles in the line. Since this Fenrir tile only ties previously placed Fenrir tiles, this Fenrir tile does not dominate the line and does not score".

So what does that mean for a Dwarf that I place next to Fenrir which is next to a Loki while there are several additional Fenrir in the line? What does the Fenrir contribute to the score of the Dwarf? For example:

Fenrir
Fenrir
Fenrir, Loki

Now I place a Dwarf like that:

Fenrir
Fenrir
Fenrir, Loki
Dwarf

Does the Dwarf
a) score zero points meaning that the Fenrir above the Dwarf contributes to the Dwarfs score with a value of "0"? Or does it
b) score 4 points = 0.5 * (4 points for the top Fenrir) + (4 points for the middle Fenrir) + (0 points for the Fenrir next to Loki)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Caputo
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The Dwarf does not get the extra points for the Niohoggr. The Niohoggr +2 points is only for scoring a line with a Niohoggr in it. The Dwarf does not score lines.

2) The Dwarf only scores 1 way: sum up adjacent tile values and round down. The Dwarf never scores lines.

3) Yes, when the Sea Serpent scores, it is considered a "line", so yes, in your example, the Sea Serpent would get the two extra points.

4) Really good question. When a Raven tile is placed on top of a tile, any *boosted* tokens are removed, but zero tokens remain. The reason is because as long as Loki is adjacent to a tile, that tile's value remains zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to add some questions, and it seems helpful to other to keep them in 1 place, so here we go:

5) The rules for Niohoggr say you get +2 point for scoring any line with Niohoggr in it. Does that include when you initially place Niohoggr, assuming it scores? Or does the Niohoggr have to already exist in the line?

6) Concerning the removing of booster tokens with the Raven: Do you only remove booster tokens if the Raven "ends" on top of a tile with boosters, or if it covers it at all? For example, could you cover one tile, and then a different one, and thus remove 2 booster tiles by placing a single Raven?
Edit: Found the answer to this one here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1056843/freyaraven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Caputo
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
5. Yes, the Niohoggr can score the extra 2 points when it is initially placed assuming it scores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning D.
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broccoli wrote:
I'd like to add some questions, and it seems helpful to other to keep them in 1 place

I agree. I've added you question as number 5 to "index" above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Caputo
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
6. Skadi is not placed on top of a tile. It swaps with another tile, so, no, it would not get the bonus 2 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Caputo
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
7. Yes, of course, you can play a Raven normally (not on top of another tile) as well as playing it on top of another tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Caputo
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
8. The answer is (b). Thank you for asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Caputo
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
9. When Jotunn bumps a tile with a booster token, the booster token stays with the bumped tile.

10. 3 points total. 1 point for the line and 2 extra bonus points for the Niohoggr.

11. Yes, you get the Niohoggr bonus points for scoring the line with a Lightning Bolt. That's also why the rules say the player can choose which line to score if the Lightning Bolt is placed in two lines of equal length. One of the lines might actually be worth more points than the other if there are Niohoggr tiles in it. For Yucata, I would expect the game should assume the player would want to score more points in that case.

12. The second placement of the Raven is not mandatory. The player may not want to move the Raven for strategic reasons as you say, or there may not be another good scoring position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Caputo
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
13. You may place freely on the Raven's second placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Caputo
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
14. (b) While the face value of that Fenrir tile is zero, it still has a final strength of 8 due to the other Fenrir tiles in the line, so the Dwarf would score 4 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls