Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Coin Age» Forums » General

Subject: Chance to vote for Coin Age for one of the MOST ANTICIPATED GAMES OF 2014 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Schreiber
United States
Waynesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Tolerance for ambiguity is the first step in maturity.
mbmbmbmbmb
What a fun Kickstarter campaign on all levels; the campaign did really well, the game packs an elegant punch, the price was right, the designer is a funny guy, the company is on a roll, and the backers were a really positive and active group in the comments. It's just ended and I must say it's almost a shame it's over because it was a short campaign that was really nice to check in on daily.

Well, here's one last way to keep promoting the game through the end of the year:

I'm really looking forward to Coin Age and if you too want to express your enthusiasm for the game here on BGG, there's a Geeklist for the Most Anticipated Games of 2014. The Top 20 nominations by the end of the year will advance to a final round of voting. I'd like to get this little game up with the big boys on this Geeklist.

Express your interest here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/165250/item/2969104#it...

Since mentioning the voting in the Kickstarter comments early today, the game has jumped almost 50 places on the list with just 12 additional votes. That kind of progress will be impossible to maintain on so few votes of course, but it will be fun to see if we can get Adam's game up into the Top 20. It's worth a try and it's a way to stay connected as we ride out 2013.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Re: Chance to vote for Coin Age for MOST ANTICIPATED GAME OF 2014
This did seem like a neat little game - quick, simple, cheap and easily portable - with some interesting abstract choices.

That being said, I think it would be odd if this was one of the Most Anticipated Games of 2014.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:
This did seem like a neat little game - quick, simple, cheap and easily portable - with some interesting abstract choices.

That being said, I think it would be odd if this was one of the Most Anticipated Games of 2014.

Yah, but like I said in the nomination listing, I'm excited about what the game represents as much as the game. The business model, the elegance, the lack of an army of minis, the low price.
All that aside, he'll yes I'm excited about the game. I'm excited to play it and I'm excited to give my extra copies away to non gamer friends to spread the love.
Genuinely anticipating this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schreiber
United States
Waynesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:

Aaron, the current stage of the voting on that Geeklist is a nomination stage where anyone can vote on what games they are looking forward to for 2014. I have personally voted for quite a few different games that I am excited about ... and would expect everyone to vote for multiple games at this stage of the process. I want to know what everyone is excited about and therefore perhaps the subject of my thread "Most Anticipated Game of 2014" is better represented by the plural "Most Anticipated Games of 2014." Since the title of that Geeklist uses Games as a plural, I will make that edit to the title of this thread after I finish this response.

Acknowledging that the thread could have a more approprioate title aside, I must say that Coin Age represents some new ideas in portability and how Kickstarter can be used and is a game open to all ages and the whole family -- so I feel like it's ideally suited for excitement and enthusiasm. Actually, if you look at the BGG hotnesst right now, it has been Coin Age at the top of that list for over a week. And given that the game is one of the absolute very few games on the hotness that has not yet had a full commercial release, my guess is the community supports that idea fully. The evidence suggests it belongs.

I understand that on BGG the weight and complexity of a game are often linked with the overall respect and perceived merit of a design ... I conceded that point. But in a pragmatic yes/no way, am I excited about Coin Age? Yes. Does it have a potential huge audience that crosses niches within our hobby? Yes. Is it a novel concept that I would like to see more of? Yes.

My saying I am excited for Coin Age does not in anyway say I'm not also excited about Rob Daviau's new Legacy game, SeaFall. That game will get gangbusters of attention and I voted for that game as well. But to suggest Coin Age doesn't belong as one of the most anticipated games of 2014 is like saying Love Letter doesn't belong on a list with Terra Mystica as one of the biggest successes of 2013. The umbrella for our hobby is a big one. Mass Appeal vs. Perceived Artistic Merit are hard to untangle, but a simple "Are you excited?" is pretty open ended and I wouldn't be shocked to see Coin Age at the top of such a list.

To be fair, you never said it wasn't worthy of excitement, you just shared that it might be weird to see it as the MOST anticipated single game. I understand that totally and have changed the thread title to be more inclusive of all games.

Is Coin Age my Most Anticipated Game of 2014? No. I designed/inspired some cards for another game that's shaping up really well and will be released in April, so that's what I'm most excited about personally. Is Coin Age one of my most anticipated games of 2014? Absolutely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Finished nominations inside the top twenty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schreiber
United States
Waynesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The top 50 nominations went on to the final voting which finished up yesterday. Coin Age finished at lucky number 13 in the Top Twenty Most Anticipated Games of 2014!

Congratulations!

Now we need to make sure Coin Age gets nominated for a BGG Golden Geek award for best print-and-play of 2013:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1105285/2013-golden-geek...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.