Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Eminent Domain since we more house a little while ago. On receiving the expansion the other day my middle daughter and I decided to give it a try.

Now here's the thing, on opening the core box I found exactly enough cards and bits to play two player but no more. What I can't understand is why I would have taken the rest of the cards and bits out and left just enough for two and where I would have put them I've absolutely no idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't the expansion come with enough extra cards to support a fifth player? So at least you'll be able to support three players until you find the other cards.

Actually, IIRC you always have the same number of role cards in the game, there's just "deeper" role draw piles with fewer players. So what cards and bits are missing?

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
Doesn't the expansion come with enough extra cards to support a fifth player? So at least you'll be able to support three players until you find the other cards.

Actually, IIRC you always have the same number of role cards in the game, there's just "deeper" role draw piles with fewer players. So what cards and bits are missing?

-Dave

Actually it might just be me being stupid I got the rules out and checked through all the components and they seem to be all in the right amounts.

The reason I thought I was missing some is that we where playing the game using the setup ref guide from the expansion. This guide seems odd to me, it says 12 produce/trade cards for 2 players and 16 for 3. There are only 16 of these cards so if I put all 16 for 3 players in the role pile there will be none to dish out to players. For 2 players if I put 12 in the pile there are enough for two each in the starting deck. If the rules are stating that you only start with 12 total for 2 players then dish out 2 each you have 8 left in the role pile, so have we been playing this wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't have the expansion yet so I can't speak to the rules in that, but IIRC in the base game you set out all of the role cards, period, and then pull what you need to construct the starting decks.

It sounds like maybe Seth revised the rules a bit for the expansion... there were some player counts where there was no value for N (N depleted role piles triggering the end game) that made everybody happy so maybe he adjusted the size of the role card draw decks as well.

Okay... yeah, there are only 16 produce/trade cards in the base game. So you set all 16 out, and then each player draws two of them for their starting hand. It's not clear to me whether he changed that for the expansion (only put 12 out, and draw 4 for the two starting hands, or still put all 16 out, and draw 4 for the two starting hands).

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the base game you simply take all of the cads and set them in the stacks, then create starting decks by taking cards from the stacks.

The expansion works the same way, but instead of putting ALL the cards out, you put a specific number based on player count.

For those interested: The reason for this is that I think the game drags on a tiny bit longer than it should with 2 players, but not long enough to make for setup hassle in the base game. In the expansion I added a 5th player, and that requires more cards. So now that I am already having a variable setup, I took the opportunity to reduce the cards in the piles for a 2 player game as well.

Now the game won't drag on for 2 players (people who liked the game length can feel free to play with all the cards even if they only have 2 players).

In other news, I'm glad to hear copies are reaching backers in UK and Quebec! IT's unusual, because often times the overseas backers end up having to wait longer for their kickstarter games. I hope this bodes well for US backers getting their games in the next week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
In the base game you simply take all of the cads and set them in the stacks, then create starting decks by taking cards from the stacks.

The expansion works the same way, but instead of putting ALL the cards out, you put a specific number based on player count.

For those interested: The reason for this is that I think the game drags on a tiny bit longer than it should with 2 players, but not long enough to make for setup hassle in the base game. In the expansion I added a 5th player, and that requires more cards. So now that I am already having a variable setup, I took the opportunity to reduce the cards in the piles for a 2 player game as well.

Now the game won't drag on for 2 players (people who liked the game length can feel free to play with all the cards even if they only have 2 players).

In other news, I'm glad to hear copies are reaching backers in UK and Quebec! IT's unusual, because often times the overseas backers end up having to wait longer for their kickstarter games. I hope this bodes well for US backers getting their games in the next week!

Thanks for the response Seth, it makes sense now. I'll stop being stupidblushand get back to playing the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:

I think the update from yesterday said they won't ship until the new year...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.