Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interociter wrote:
sirjonsnow wrote:
I just noticed from the pic that you also had an "illegal" setup.

I think that was the least of their problems!

That was the cherry on top xD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Smith
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the suggestions for prep here.

I don't think everybody needs to read the rulebook. One teacher with sufficient experience should suffice. The more experienced players in the mix, the smoother the play, of course.

I also ask players to have a good idea what race they'd like to play, first.

We are down to about 1.2-1.5 hrs a player these days. We did a 4 player game in 6 hrs with some sufficient breaks. My game groups tries to get started early so we're not going deep into the night playing, though something like that may be in order, for old time's sake .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And this has been glossed over, but plopping in expansion(s) for Twilight Imperium on the first play, when the owner was not very on top of the rules of even the base game? Holy crap man, that's just...that's crazy, man.

Yes, TI:3 is an even better game with some elements of the first expansion mixed in. But you've gotta learn to crawl before you can learn to walk. Just the base game--getting the basics of it, I mean--is enough steak to chew on for any game group taking the plunge for the first time.

You do have a wonderful attitude here, the willingness to play again and recognizing the elements that led to the disastrous experience in the first place. It isn't the game's fault, for sure. It is a beast and takes some dedication and at least one player who has taken the time to read and understand the rules fully. If all are stumbling through that first play, you're riding a space train that either will never end or will crash into a planet with a blindingly glorious explosion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I played TI3, the guys that played with me had tons of experience and told me to learn the game BEFORE playing with them. Luckily I had a copy of the game I had recently bought, so I read the rulebook, setup a practice 3player game, and also read the very well made walktrough suggested by some posters above.

When I played the 3 player game with my 2 gaming buddies, it was just awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
In April 2019 I've found out that I have autism... after living with this for nearly 48 years prior! Still the same geek that you know but viewing / feeling things differently than others. Please have some patience with me :)
badge
Ïa! Ïa! Cthulhu fthagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fthagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin518 wrote:
The first time I played TI3, the guys that played with me had tons of experience and told me to learn the game BEFORE playing with them. Luckily I had a copy of the game I had recently bought, so I read the rulebook, setup a practice 3player game, and also read the very well made walktrough suggested by some posters above.

When I played the 3 player game with my 2 gaming buddies, it was just awesome.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.