Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Mesnar
United States
Valencia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know this game may not get as big as say dominion but I feel they could squeeze one more exp! Was wondering if there is any talk of one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm not an insider or anything, but I'd have to say that's not likely. It is a great little game, but it's not that popular, plus if they were gonna do another one they probably wouldn't have waited this long to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, the game and its first expansion feels like one complete game that was broken up in two to make the 'barrier to entry' lower for the base set. Thing is, it felt that way before the first expansion was released or even announced.

So even if it never gets another release, it's a nice (finally) complete package with multiple scenarios and ways to play. That puts it in a good spot in my book even if another expansion never gets released.

(And that's a good thing--nothing is worse than a game that keeps getting expansions that make it worse--oh, hello Battlestar Galactica!)

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m Vlad
Romania
flag msg tools
mb
They could launch series of POD expansions with Scenarios because you do not shuffle them into your deck, and the cards would not have that linen finish as the base game or oath and anvil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
All I want is a heros expansion: I want to put a Battlemage Jaes or Red Scorpion into my deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like FFG missed the boat a bit on Rune Age. The market was hungry for another new deck-building design when it came out, and there was a lot of anticipation. However, the small card pool significantly dampened the initial excitement and I think the opportunity passed. The expansion brought the game to the point where it needed to be on release but by that point interest in the game and even a little in the genre itself had waned.

I still wonder what Rune Age could have been had the base set and expansion been rolled out as one large box product at a slightly higher MSRP, I feel like the game could have seen a lot more success.

I'm sure FFG has at least considered a 2nd expansion and there is no doubt that the design space is there, but I don't think the sales of the game are sufficient to warrant it sadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:
I feel like FFG missed the boat a bit on Rune Age. The market was hungry for another new deck-building design when it came out, and there was a lot of anticipation. However, the small card pool significantly dampened the initial excitement and I think the opportunity passed. The expansion brought the game to the point where it needed to be on release but by that point interest in the game and even a little in the genre itself had waned.

I still wonder what Rune Age could have been had the base set and expansion been rolled out as one large box product at a slightly higher MSRP, I feel like the game could have seen a lot more success.

I'm sure FFG has at least considered a 2nd expansion and there is no doubt that the design space is there, but I don't think the sales of the game are sufficient to warrant it sadly.

This is a good point. After Rune Age came out, we got flooded by Lord of the Rings, Marvel, and DC deck-builders. I think part of releasing expansions is getting the word out about the game to those who haven't bought the base set yet. With Rune Age, it seems unlikely new people will be brought in because they probably already have their favorite deck-builder now.

On the flip side, the base game of Rune Age is much, much cheaper than some of those other deck builders. I would imagine that it's the kind of game someone might just pick up on a whim. Well, that's what happened with me. But the only place I've ever seen this game in stock is online or at my local Target. I've never seen it in a game store before. I wonder if that is affecting its sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to be a fly on the wall at some of the FFG meetings where these large decisions are made. Clearly FFG targeted that lower price point for Rune Age with a particular business strategy in mind, I just do not think it worked out for them in this case.

I can still remember how much excitement there was as the initial details were teased out prior to release, and then the huge wave of disappointment when the total number of cards was announced.

I've seen it in stock at Target too so they clearly scored a decent coup in sales there, but I feel like the larger gaming community moved on rather quickly and didn't bother re-visiting the game when the expansion came out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.