Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Silberklinge Warlord
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One question is not clear to me.

If I lay a tile with a boat next to a sea area with fishes but there is no fisherman in it and I can not od don't want to place any, do I still have to harvest this area and place a boat ontop of one of the fish-icons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos F.
Spain
Valladolid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After Fish are awarded due to the placement of a Fishing Boat, the player covers one group of Fish in the corresponding Sea Region.

So, if you do not obtain any fish you do not have to cover any group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. and you need to have a fisherman already present in the sea to score: can't add one with the boat tile and score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brownsill
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:
Exactly. and you need to have a fisherman already present in the sea to score: can't add one with the boat tile and score.

Have to disagree with you there. Page 6 of the rules in the box near the top of the page specifically shows an example of exactly that being done. The tile with the boat is placed, the players adds his meeple and collects the fish in the sea area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silberklinge Warlord
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:

Sorry but this is possible.

But nevertheless this wasn't my question. Cause the German rules are not clear about that. So i'm not convinced yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hann_Boe
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
need a little clarity here...
bottom page4 & top page5 english rules.
it shows an example of a sea area with a red meeple already placed.

Then active player places a tile with a fishing boat. this triggers and "evaluation". The red player is awarded 5 fish. a boat is placed on a fish group.

but what about the red meeple? does it get set back to the owner? or does it stay on the board?

i realise on top of page 6 an example of a tile with a boat is placed with a meeple into a sea without any other meeples present. This example states the area is then evaluated and fish are awarded.

thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time a sea region is evaluated, a scoring meeple is returned to its owner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy barnes
United States
spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
Are you sure? My understanding is meeple is only returned if sea region is finished. Boats trigger evaluation and cover of one group of fish, meeple stays on board. Rules state that meeples can not be returned on unfinished areas and wares evaluated. First game I played myself and another both ended up with fisherman on same region and neither wanted to place a boat tile on the area for fear that the next player would simply take over that area. This is why I believe fisherman stay until area is finished or can be taken off on a turn when not placing or scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Colaneri
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
www.balenaludens.it
badge
Visit us! http://www.balenaludens.it Reviews, articles, GAMES!
mbmbmbmbmb
jer1bil wrote:
Are you sure? My understanding is meeple is only returned if sea region is finished. Boats trigger evaluation and cover of one group of fish, meeple stays on board. Rules state that meeples can not be returned on unfinished areas and wares evaluated. First game I played myself and another both ended up with fisherman on same region and neither wanted to place a boat tile on the area for fear that the next player would simply take over that area. This is why I believe fisherman stay until area is finished or can be taken off on a turn when not placing or scoring.

Rules are really unclear about this, and I observed the same risk your are speaking about. Maybe it's legal to place the boat, score the points, remove the meeple and REPOSITION the meeple on the boat tile just placed... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy barnes
United States
spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
If I'm understanding correctly repositioning meeple should not matter because it would still be in the same region. The way I have been playing seems fair and fish are still prob toughest to get because its so hard to finish a region off and have meeple returned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BartP wrote:
Every time a sea region is evaluated, a scoring meeple is returned to its owner.

That is correct. The german rules are very clear about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hann_Boe
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JR68 wrote:
BartP wrote:

That is correct. The german rules are very clear about that.

I agree as well. if a fishing evaluation occures -- ie a tile (with a boat) is placed in an area of the water where there are fishers already -- these fishers collect their fish and are returned to their owners.
then a boat token is placed to cover a high value fish icon in the area that fishing occured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy barnes
United States
spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
Hmmm seems strange to me but if thats what the rules say. I think I will continue to use my house rules then. Just don't like having a meeple stuck on a large sea region with many fish and another players meeple. Whoever lays the boat tile gets screwed because the next person to draw can easily jump back onto water and keep the rest for themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hann_Boe
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jer1bil wrote:
Hmmm seems strange to me but if thats what the rules say. I think I will continue to use my house rules then. Just don't like having a meeple stuck on a large sea region with many fish and another players meeple. Whoever lays the boat tile gets screwed because the next person to draw can easily jump back onto water and keep the rest for themselves.

but the fishing ground will greatly diminish and shrink until if yields little due to the mechanic of the largest fish get covered each time it is evaluated (resourced)...so a water area with 10 fish > 8 fish > 6 fish...this i think seems to work well IMHO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy barnes
United States
spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
I hear you but I don't see much benefit in placing a boat with say 8 fish on an area I share if that player then immediately places his returned meeple back on that same area for 6 more easy fish that will now not be shared. Seems like a slight flaw but it has happened like that twice when only played maybe six games so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hann_Boe
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jer1bil wrote:
I hear you but I don't see much benefit in placing a boat with say 8 fish on an area I share if that player then immediately places his returned meeple back on that same area for 6 more easy fish that will now not be shared. Seems like a slight flaw but it has happened like that twice when only played maybe six games so far.

true true.

Are you usually playing with the same person? or do you play it with a bunch of different people?
I suspect if you are playing with the same person all the time...this may work into being a functional strategy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy barnes
United States
spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
Same two others. Who knows once I play it more maybe things will change in the way I play it. Still a new game for me. Was just strange having that scenario play out like that. Also I tend to make sure I always try to get the biggest farm in winter edition I have been playing so maybe that tendency works against me in this one. Just curious what your favorite carcassonne is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Colaneri
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
www.balenaludens.it
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, if I understand correctly when I place a boat
1) I take the fish
2) I remove the fisher
3) I place the boat counter on fish

Can I place a new meeple on the new tile? And when?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Place a tile.
2. Decide whether you want to place a meeple on it.
3. See if you triggered scoring of a sea region (sea area is enclosed or the tile you put down contains a boat).
4. If you did and you have a meeple in that sea area (possibly the one you placed in point 2): take the sum of all visible fish symbols in that sea area. All players whose meeples are there do the same (unless one player has majority)
5. Remove all scoring meeples.
6. Place the counter on the fish symbol with the greatest number of fish in it ("2 fish", if not then "1 fish").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Colaneri
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
www.balenaludens.it
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you; but this would allow to place a boat tile AND a meeple/fisher in the same turn... Are you sure it's allowed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'm sure. It's even portrayed in an example in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Colaneri
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
www.balenaludens.it
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you are right but in the rulebook this isn't portrayed. The meeple is already there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 6 of the rulebook. It's there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hann_Boe
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BartP wrote:
1. Place a tile.
2. Decide whether you want to place a meeple on it.
3. See if you triggered scoring of a sea region (sea area is enclosed or the tile you put down contains a boat).
4. If you did and you have a meeple in that sea area (possibly the one you placed in point 2): take the sum of all visible fish symbols in that sea area. All players whose meeples are there do the same (unless one player has majority)
5. Remove all scoring meeples.
6. Place the counter on the fish symbol with the greatest number of fish in it ("2 fish", if not then "1 fish").

at step 2, this is assuming there are NO meeples already in the sea region. according to standard carc rules, if a feature is already occupied you cannot place a meeple in the feature.

otherwise i like your summary! thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hann_Boe
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CptWasp wrote:
Sorry, if I understand correctly when I place a boat
1) I take the fish
2) I remove the fisher
3) I place the boat counter on fish

Can I place a new meeple on the new tile? And when?

when you place the tile with a boat pictured on it and the sea region was previously unoccupied, you can place a meeple fisher. the placement of the tile with boat will trigger an "evaluation" --> resulting in possible scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.