Subject: 6 player variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Fairfax
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any idea how this would play if we tried to shoehorn a sixth player into it? Perhaps borrowing tokens from other games?
I don't own it yet, and I've only watched a review so I dont know the rules. It sounds fantastic for the group I'm targeting, but we are a group of 3 couples. Hence the need for a sixth.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
constantly thinking on variants to create and implement
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Tokaido but I dont realy needed to add a sixth player... But I have Takenoko too (same author) that is designed for four players but it works fine with five... So, I think adding the new player tokens would work well in the other game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fairfax
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have acquired the game and read the rules. There are exactly 25 meal cards. But for 6 people and 5 inns, that's 30 potential meals. I suppose I could just say, "no one has to eat at the starting inn". Then I'll have enough meal cards for everyone to eat a meal at every inn (provided they had the cash). Or we could just let people go hungry. Or we could let people eat each other. But I don't think that's in the spirit of the game.

Let's suppose I were to add meal cards. What to add is not immediately obvious. The current breakdown is as follows:
1 coin: 3 sets of 3 = 9
2 coin: 5 sets of 2 = 10
3 coin: 6 uniques

Total 25

Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
constantly thinking on variants to create and implement
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy, some forums have variants for Inns. For example, draw a card number unless the current players, the last player can not buy anything...

Do not worry about the spirit of the game, just think of how important it is to block the other players convenient places, so...

Finally, it is very likely that with six players missing money, so not everyone can buy meals at the inns, making the game more strategic...

Not really necessary to add components to the game, remember that the six players will have less access to basic resources. But I do recommend have the encounters card expansion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fairfax
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn't think about missing money. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks for your replies and your thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, what is the best suggestion here for sixth players without adding new cards/money etc? You don't eat at the first inn, so the meals should be enough even with 6 players (4 stops x 6 players = 24 meal cards needed should every player eat at every inn. Even if an additional meal is available at all times, it should work right?

Edit: Satsuki (and possibly Eriku) might affect the number of meals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just house rule that every stop has two spots for travelers and possibly ban the use of Satsuki and Eriku if you feel it is necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter is having a Birthday party tomorrow where Boardgames will be part of the plan. Her favorite game at the moment is Tokaido and there will be 6 girls there (age 10). Thank you all for the help listed above to expand this game to 6.

Here is the summary of what I plan to do. (I only have the base game)

1) Use Panda mini from Takenoko for the 6th player token.
2) Find something small to keep score for the 6th player.
3) Put all 10 characters out and have the girls roll to see who picks first. First pick will be last to leave the starting spot...Last pick will get first move.
4) Play gastronomy where only 6 food will be drawn at each inn.
5) When food runs out...it is gone. So last one to the inn on the last day may be going hungry. 1 food card could be drawn via the friend spaces...but if two are drawn, someone is going hungry.
6) All spaces will have 2 spots for players.
7) Have some small post it notes near by, if on the off chance all 6 start painting the same picture.
8) Not concerned about running out of coins. Will have pennies on hand if that happens.

Am I missing anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RangerRob24 wrote:

[/b]My daughter is having a Birthday party tomorrow[/b] where Boardgames will be part of the plan. Her favorite game at the moment is Tokaido and there will be 6 girls there (age 10). Thank you all for the help listed above to expand this game to 6.

Here is the summary of what I plan to do. (I only have the base game)

1) Use Panda mini from Takenoko for the 6th player token.
2) Find something small to keep score for the 6th player.
3) Put all 10 characters out and have the girls roll to see who picks first. First pick will be last to leave the starting spot...Last pick will get first move.
4) Play gastronomy where only 6 food will be drawn at each inn.
5) When food runs out...it is gone. So last one to the inn on the last day may be going hungry. 1 food card could be drawn via the friend spaces...but if two are drawn, someone is going hungry.
6) All spaces will have 2 spots for players.
7) Have some small post it notes near by, if on the off chance all 6 start painting the same picture.
8) Not concerned about running out of coins. Will have pennies on hand if that happens.

Am I missing anything?

@ Ranger Rob 24 ~

I do realize that the daughter's birthday party was a year and a half ago (~lol~), but I was wondering if you remember how it went and if you have any PRO & CON comments to add as an analysis or review of your eight points mentioned above that included a SIXTH PLAYER. I just received my Kickstarter edition yesterday (after a two year wait) and have been researching rules clarifications (FAQ's), reviews, strategies, and variants prior to putting it on a table top this week.

On another BGG thread someone mentioned a "Friendship Amulet available at the Temple" which allows the owner to share spots along the road's path with whomever is already occupying it. I am thinking of incorporating this mechanic as a general House Rule for six players in that: Every location on the pathway essentially has an extra spot to be occupied. I hope that this will alleviate congestion, prevent blocking, and allow for a more family-friendly, enjoyable journey by all of the participants.

Regarding other issues:
#1. Tokens - No problem. Any similarly sized game pawn or meeple would be suitable.
#2. I will probably replace the teeny-tiny scoring markers with appropriately colored glass beads or poker chips.
#3. Characters - I now have 35 cards and figurines to choose from.
#4 & 5. Gastronomy - Excellent ideas. When the food runs out it is GONE. This would put more emphasis on *NOT* arriving at the Inns last. However, I might eventually pickup a second copy, standard edition, of the basic game in order to add additional Food Cards and Encounter Cards - maybe one of each or simply doubling the size of the decks for more randomness.
#6. All spaces have [at least] two spots for players - see my comments above about the 'Friendship Amulet.'
#7. Panoramic Cards - Either "when they're gone they're gone" OR might purchase a second copy of the game (possible a cheap used one if it can be found) in order to provide a sixth set of the three vistas.
#8. Extra coins - Yes, pennies would work fine. The Collector's edition did provide 50 metal ones, but me in a moment of OCD madness went ahead and ordered via another Kickstarter, sets of Feudal Japanese, metal, gaming coins in 1, 5 and 10 (copper, silver, gold) denominations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jax L
msg tools
can use the metal die and tokens from the Collectors Accessory edition pack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.