BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Card Prototypes and Description rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Here are some of the cards that I will test with after I make sure the main mechanics of the game are set.

What essentially drives the combat system is a unit will die if the Attack minus Defense is equal to or greater than the health. Simple.

As you can see, the attack of the unit is in red and the defense of the unit is in blue.

AT: IN(1)LA(0)AI(0)SE(0)BU(0)
DE: IN(1)LA(0)AI(1)SE(1)BU(0)

There are 5 types of units: Infantry, Land, Air, Sea, and Buildings

Each unit has a certain attack and defense towards each kind of unit(some Stats. are not done yet)

For example, the Infantry unit has 1 attack towards Infantry but zero attack towards anything else.

Each unit also has a variety of different characteristics
Mobility=> top right: ex. MO: 2
Health=> top left big number
Unit Name=> next to health
Type of Unit=> unit name color
Unit Cost: next to red triangle
Field of View (where the unit can attack)=> orange triangles
Abilities=> bellow black line

These cards also have resource value and action type and they are on the bottom- these are used to buy buildings move units and many other things

Comment, Critique, Criticize

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn Hommes
Netherlands
Dordrecht
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it works fine for testing, but I think many players wouldn't look further when they saw a string of letters on a card. If you want to attract players, I believe you're better off finding icons for what you want to say and use (icon) 1/0 to show your info (first number is attack, second is defense.

The people who buy this sort of game really enjoy graphics, so it would make sense to give them some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
anonymousmagic wrote:
I suppose it works fine for testing, but I think many players wouldn't look further when they saw a string of letters on a card. If you want to attract players, I believe you're better off finding icons for what you want to say and use (icon) 1/0 to show your info (first number is attack, second is defense.

The people who buy this sort of game really enjoy graphics, so it would make sense to give them some.

As well as this I want to be able to read the relevant information without staring at the card, ie a quick glance. Icons down the side would definitely help with the relevant stats next to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiří Petruželka
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'd also advise not to put text directly above picture without underlaying it with some background (visible mostly on the jeep card) and not to use dark text-shadow for dark text.

As for mechanics - would there be a way to thematically describe using infantry card for purchasing/constructing a building? I wouldn't probably ask in case of fictional game, but this one looks realistic. It wouldn't be that bad if there's no answer, but would be nice if there's one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kotzur-Yang
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the value is zero for any given field, is there any real reason to show it? Seems like it would be lot simpler to +1 vs. Infantry rather than AT: IN(1)LA(0)AI(0)SE(0)BU(0)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Iachini
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to jump into this thread to say that my head basically exploded with all of the complexity on this card, but then I saw that the others on this thread seemed to have no problem with that part.

I'm guessing this is the kind of thing that's normal in war games, and I have basically no experience with those. So, my input probably isn't very helpful.

But, if you want perspective for more of a Euro-game type of designer, I would ask if maybe you could dramatically simplify your game. All these stats on a single card seems insanely over-complicated.

If this is normal for a war game, though, then carry on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For right now it's going to be modern theme but once I've solidified the mechanics I will start working on the theme. My idea is future warfare but more of a rugged feel.

As far as complexity, I am thinking of introducing other factions so different areas of characterization is needed. Although I have dumbed this game down a lot I tend over complicate things so I value your concern. I will keep working.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Essentially your deck is composed of resources, you decide where they go, either towards building buildings, research, or training a unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaosAndAlchemy wrote:
I was going to jump into this thread to say that my head basically exploded with all of the complexity on this card, but then I saw that the others on this thread seemed to have no problem with that part.

I'm guessing this is the kind of thing that's normal in war games, and I have basically no experience with those. So, my input probably isn't very helpful.

But, if you want perspective for more of a Euro-game type of designer, I would ask if maybe you could dramatically simplify your game. All these stats on a single card seems insanely over-complicated.

If this is normal for a war game, though, then carry on.

Most tactical wargame counters (units) have several stats which include movement, combat, defence and morale. There may be others such as range and leadership etc, at first this may seem overbearing but after learning where these stats are on a counter it becomes intuitive. Also a lot of mechanics in wargames are similar so learning games for an experienced player becomes easier. Quite often it is remembering the differences that causes more problems

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a chart like this on each card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Heres an edit from your suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.