7 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hard Time with Bypass rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre Modt
msg tools
mb
So, I was reading the FAQs about Kit's ability and I saw that if I use an Inside Job I encounter the ICE and transform the bypassed ICE into a code gate, which is no use. But then another question came up. If I use an Inside Job against a Data Raven/Toolbooth/Pop-up Window I have to trigger the "When the runner encounters..." ability even if I use an Inside Job?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More specifically, there are two "when you encounter.." effects being set up. Inside Job isn't exactly worded this way, but could be worded "When you encounter a piece of ice, if it's the first piece of ice you've encountered this run, bypass it."

Since Data Raven also has a "when you encounter.." effect, the two cards have a timing conflict. Since it's the Runner's turn during a run, and Inside Job is the Runner's card, Inside Job's effect resolves first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Breuch
Germany
Kettig
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
Since Data Raven also has a "when you encounter.." effect, the two cards have a timing conflict. Since it's the Runner's turn during a run, and Inside Job is the Runner's card, Inside Job's effect resolves first.
and
FAQ, page 2 wrote:
Bypassing prevents any unresolved conditional abilities that met their trigger condition when the ice was encountered from resolving.
So Data Raven won't be resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zyankalium wrote:
manydills wrote:
and
FAQ, page 2 wrote:
Bypassing prevents any unresolved conditional abilities that met their trigger condition when the ice was encountered from resolving.
So Data Raven won't be resolved.

But to expand on all of this with Kit in the mix

Quote:
The first piece of ice you encounter each turn gains code gate until the end of the run

So while you may not resolve Kit's ability because you are instead using an Inside job, the next piece of ice you encounter is now NOT the first piece of ice you've encountered on the turn. So even if you didn't make it a codegate, her trigger is no longer valid on the second piece of ice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Larner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
manydills wrote:
More specifically, there are two "when you encounter.." effects being set up. Inside Job isn't exactly worded this way, but could be worded "When you encounter a piece of ice, if it's the first piece of ice you've encountered this run, bypass it."

I don't think this is true. Both Inside Job and Kit's ability are constant effects, not triggered abilities, which is why they can't be used together. If they were triggered abilities, you could choose to trigger Inside Job first, and Kits ability wouldn't resolve (although it probably couldn't be used against the second in any case). However, he FAQ states (IIRC) that both effects take place simultaneously.

I'm not sure this distinction is necessary in the current card pool, but if a card which triggers on ice encounter is ever printed (e.g. When you encounter a barrier, gain a credit), then it will become more important. (If inside job is a constant effect, you can't gain a credit, but if it's triggered, you can choose to resolve the gain a credit effect first).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you consider them as triggered abilities it still wouldn't work simply because Kit's condition is no longer valid on the second piece of ice. So constant or triggered it doesn't matter one you bypass the first piece of ice you encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.