Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Serpent's Tongue» Forums » General

Subject: I don't understand how the Glyphs and keys work going by the Walkthrough rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The glyph for Pillar of Earth, going by the inside cover key, is Pdz which is unpronounceable. But that card back says it's Par Dal Zo.

Fireball is the same way; the key says Kta but the back says Ki Ta Av.

Where the hell are we supposed to be pulling these extra letters from? The key they use in the walkthrough isn't anything like the one the walkthrough tells you to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: I don't understand how the Glyphs and keys work
Go to page 46 of the rulebook.....

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: I don't understand how the Glyphs and keys work
Teamski wrote:
Go to page 46 of the rulebook.....

-Ski

That's the point. The walkthrough tells you to use the one inside the front cover. I'm thinking they need to correct it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Fluency Level 1 spells, you're not pronouncing the whole word. You're just saying the names of key letters from it. You'll notice in the name above the glyph, that the letters you're expected to say are colored red and the letters you're not saying are in black. Sort of like the easy difficulty levels in Guitar Hero or Rock Band where they remove notes to make it easier for you. You don't start sounding out the whole word until Fluency Level 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyssa Eiraku
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For an in-codex reference, since the embossed key on the inside cover was changed, turn to page 27.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a bit intimidated by the thought of learning the language at first, but I found a quick way to get up and running with the easy spells in under an hour was to commit those letter names to memory using the melody of the ABC song. Now I just need to learn the Sehimu Thinara for "Now I know my ABCs, soon I will destroy you all."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wawrzonek
United States
Amsterdam
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Do you want board games?...because that's how you get board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
TroelsR wrote:
""For an in-codex reference, since the embossed key on the inside cover was changed, turn to page 27."

Say what? Omg! is there no disapointment left in this game?

oh wait, I am sure there is! Christopher and his team will deliver - disapointments if noting else. It is almost as if the game was rushed. No wait, it can't be, because it is 1.5 year over due.

I mean, they will be late in delivering disapointments too.

...Troels

There is nothing wrong with the component. The glyph on the inside cover is made for level 2 spells or higher. The glyph for lvl 1 spells in on the codex pages (pg 27 I believe), as it has been since the project was created. Most people will completely move over to the inside cover glyph after playing the game for a little while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christopher gabrielson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Yep we realized we could improve the cool embossed leather Serpent's Key by making it the Advanced Key you will grow into.

Within a week you will evolve past the Level 1 'Starter' spells and key. (Note some of those level 1's will still be useful though, but you will have them memorized so soon, you will no longer need a key for them.)

So we thought, why make the awesome Key the one they only use for a week or so. Make it the one they will reference for months.

Also for beginners I think its helpful to be able to pull out your level 1 Serpent's Key and lay it flat on the table, pass around between your allies etc... So the level 1 Key was made into a Codex Page which you can pull out, move around in your codex etc.. And then we put a level 2 Serpent's Key on the back of that.

I think the current walkthrough ACT 1 uploaded to the site is still a version old? I will check on it and upload the latest version if thats the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the component.

Word! I own a LOT of games and the ST Codex is one of the best looking, most unique, and most perfectly themed game components I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
The glyph for Pillar of Earth, going by the inside cover key, is Pdz which is unpronounceable. But that card back says it's Par Dal Zo.

Fireball is the same way; the key says Kta but the back says Ki Ta Av.

Where the hell are we supposed to be pulling these extra letters from? The key they use in the walkthrough isn't anything like the one the walkthrough tells you to use.

Check my video guide to the walkthrough and all will/should become clear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Wells
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DJGryph wrote:
I was a bit intimidated by the thought of learning the language at first, but I found a quick way to get up and running with the easy spells in under an hour was to commit those letter names to memory using the melody of the ABC song. Now I just need to learn the Sehimu Thinara for "Now I know my ABCs, soon I will destroy you all."

Everything about this post is awesome. +GG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Ryan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there is a greater learning curve to ST than many other games partly because of the language. It comes to you quicker as you use it, and learning glpyhs and awatum (serpent's tongue's alphabet) at the same time will help reinforce it (you might forget a character but seeing the position will help you in the first three levels).

Just in case it helps other folks, too:
Level 1 spells = say the first and last letters of the word (aka, name the letters) and make the hand gesture (but no motion).
* Alphabet/pronunciation, rulebook pages 47-48
* Hand gestures, rulebook page 43

Level 2 spells = spell the entire word and make hand gesture and motion.
* Motion, rulebook page 44

Level 3 spells = pronounce one word, with hand gesture and motion
* Pay attention to pages 45-46 to help read the glyph (especially the symbols like circle for beginning and triangle for elongated sound)

Level 4 spells = pronounce phrase, with hand gesture and motion
* You need to know the characters (awatum), again pages 47-48

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Ryan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, a quick visual to the difference between the levels of spells (would have been helpful in the walkthrough, too):
http://www.becomemagi.com/learn/

"Now I know my ABCs
Soon I will destroy you all"

My guess:
"Av Bez Dal nisba thina
an'esa saukh va'thini khed'nisba"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.