Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Matusiak
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
You know what my days used to be like? I just tested. Nobody murdered me. Or put me in a potato. Or fed me to birds. I had a pretty good life. And then you showed up. You dangerous, mute lunatic. So you know what? You win. Just go. Don't come back.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious if anyone has taken a worker each round of the game instead of resources and thus depleted all 8 worker slots by the end of the game.

How did it work out? How many players? Did you find any cards especially beneficial for this tactic?

Edited for sillyness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that even possible? I think the only way you're getting all of your men deployed is if you pick up Abraham Lincoln or some other similar card later in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Matusiak
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
You know what my days used to be like? I just tested. Nobody murdered me. Or put me in a potato. Or fed me to birds. I had a pretty good life. And then you showed up. You dangerous, mute lunatic. So you know what? You win. Just go. Don't come back.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure! I guess a better question could be wondering what the most workers you've taken in a game was, how you accomplished it, and was it worth the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to think it's almost always worth it. A worker brings you more stuff and is probably worth 1 or 2 VP at the end of the game. I would choose to add a worker every single turn I could pull it off. For ME, that's been a max of 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taken five every game so far. I skip the first two rounds, then end up skipping another in round five or six.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, four or five per game seems to be the norm so far.

I think it would be difficult to take all four from the stability side. Compensating for negative stability is often a Herculean task, especially early in the game. In the first couple of ages, the best buildings only give 2 stability, and a couple of wonders/leaders give one or two more. If you can get Tibet, that's 3 more, but that's about it (and it doesn't come until Round 3-4). Also, so many events reward high stability and punish low stability that I wouldn't voluntarily lower it unless I had a ton to spare.

Food is much more abundant. You can get it from raiding, and many leaders/wonders/buildings give it in fairly large quantities (more so than stability anyway). Finally, the buildings that give food also tend to give coins and rocks, which are crucial to your overall infrastructure. Stability buildings produce fewer resources in general.

I think it would be hard to survive without the extra resources from skipping growth at least a few times, especially in the first few turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Is that even possible? I think the only way you're getting all of your men deployed is if you pick up Abraham Lincoln or some other similar card later in the game.

Indeed. You won't ever "grow" a new worker each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Wu
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I took 7 workers in tonight's game. I'm actually surprised that it was very manageable and didn't hurt my economy! Came in 2nd place (losing by 2 points), would have been first but I bought the wrong card.

Took a worker as my starting bonus from round 3 onwards. There was also an event that gave an additional worker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Perry
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
I took all eight tonight in a 5-player game (side A), played at speed... I made a few crucial mistakes, throwing away 5 points. One in the first round, and 4 in the last round :-/ I came third, three points behind the winner, and one behind second place, both of whom mostly collected their points from books.

I started with 5 books, and finished with 3.

I took workers through "growth" in rounds 4 to 7, then used my leaders ability to gain the rest.

I was risk averse going into the final round, as I had 0 food in stock, and was producing and consuming 12 food, and was worried about famine, so took food, then used my leader to produce the final worker, but spent 2 rock I=to increase my military, scoring 0 points as I didn't use his ability earlier enough in the round and was over taken as the leader in military. I then lost out on a colony worth 2 VP's. :-( I was distracted in ensuring I had enough architects to build a wonder for 1.7 VP's.

Caution cost me the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Hannula
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
The probabilistic nature of being
badge
Truthful speech, proper understanding, unselfish action
mbmbmbmbmb
I took all of my workers yesterday. I took new workers on turns 3-8 and 2 workers on seventh turn with suleiman. I got 0 vp from books but I had very strong economy on turns 6-8.

4p game/42 points (I won) /emperor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Perry
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
rayffis wrote:
I took all of my workers yesterday. I took new workers on turns 3-8 and 2 workers on seventh turn with suleiman. I got 0 vp from books but I had very strong economy on turns 6-8.

4p game/42 points (I won) /emperor

42 VP's would have got you 3rd place in my game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
IanGB wrote:

42 VP's would have got you 3rd place in my game.

You can not usefully compare scores between games, even with the same group. So much depends on how the game develops, if you are competing heavily or developing your engine, if black death appears etc. The winner in one game can very well have less than a person trailing by far in another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Perry
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
It's the British sense of humour...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Star
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:

I did it with ol' Abe the other day =) Like Rafael, 0 points from books but a really strong economy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.