Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Grace
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that different loans ( belonging to the same Player) must be kept separate – meaning that *two* tokens of interest should be paid, (which would be very expensive !)

The rules also state that a loan can be paid off at any time.

Recently, one of our regular Players wanted to pay off his (small) loan by taking out a significantly larger one !

While this doesn’t seem to contradict the letter of the rules, I wonder if it against the spirit of the game, given the “separate piles” rule ?

( I previously posted this in the wrong section, apologies ...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see it as a problem as he will still have to pay off the larger loan to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Capn Hook wrote:
While this doesn’t seem to contradict the letter of the rules, I wonder if it against the spirit of the game, given the “separate piles” rule ?

No - it's not against the spirit of the rules at all and loan consolidation is a standard financial manoeuvre even today. Of course, to take out the much larger loan you refer to, the player had to pay to reach a certain level on the economy track, and this is one of the benefits he gains for that cost.

(Only our modern rapacious, bloodsucking banking system would disapprove of this rule, and look at the mess they've got us into!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Pont
Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaha the dude abides.. I mean... it's a wise and funny answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
Capn Hook wrote:

No - it's not against the spirit of the rules at all and loan consolidation is a standard financial manoeuvre even today. Of course, to take out the much larger loan you refer to, the player had to pay to reach a certain level on the economy track, and this is one of the benefits he gains for that cost.

(Only our modern rapacious, bloodsucking banking system would disapprove of this rule, and look at the mess they've got us into!)

This would allow you to take out a 4 point loan and spend that on a 4 point economy, then take out an 8 point loan and spend that on a 6 point economy, then take out a 12 point loan and spend that on a 10 point economy, then take out a 20 point loan, buy a booming city - probably in West Africa[*] - and pay off the 4 (now 7) and 6 (now 8) point loans, all at the cost of only 1 point from your "real" economy.

How could a game that allows such "ecconomics of the madhouse" be considered realistic in the modern world?

[* forcing all of the players to trade in slaves and thus being unpopular because you introduced emancipation and stopping them declaring war. You could try for China, but only if you want to see widespread uprisings and a united Europe against you.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.