7 Posts

Tide of Iron: Stalingrad» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hand to hand combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dennis maclaren

Oregon
msg tools
The rule book only says that the defenders hit on 5's and 6's. It says nothing about the attackers except that they get an extra attack die. I'm guessing that they now only score hits on 5's and 6's also (instead of the normal 4-6 in a normal assault)?

Also, since its hand to hand, why would cover and armor dice be rolled? there should be no defense dice rolled, just the attacking and defending squads attack dice (+1 for the attacker). Is this how its handled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, since its hand to hand, why would cover and armor dice be rolled?

Because this is still an assault action so yes

there should be no defense dice rolled, just the attacking and defending squads attack dice (+1 for the attacker). Is this how its handled?
defense dice are still rolled.The Attacker also still succeeds on a 4,5,6
also to clarify the Attacker must declare that they are doing to hand to hand

these answers are official
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so cover and armor dice ARE rolled for Hand-to-Hand combat (I repeated that because the text in Bill's reply was run-together).

Can you use stuff like flamethrowers and submachineguns in Hand-to-Hand combat?

I must admit I don't like this rule because it seems like a no-brainer for the attacker to declare Hand-to-Hand all the time, as for some reason it reduces his casualties. And the basic Assault is already supposed to represent bloody Close Combat. A base with one figure on gets to attack at double strength.

Of course it IS optional, however Unarmed units may only attack this way, so it isn't entirely optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis maclaren

Oregon
msg tools
So, let me get this clear in my mind:
Normal assault:
Attacker gets to roll his attack dice Plus 1/2 dice of up to 2 assisting squads (hits on 4-6).
Defending squads get to roll any cover dice to reduce hits then get to roll their attack dice to score against attacking squad (hits on 4-6)

Hand to hand assault:
Attacker gets to roll his attack dice +1, no assisting squads allowed (hits on 4-6).
Defending squads get to roll any cover dice to reduce hits, then get to roll their attack dice to score against attacking squad (hits on 5 and 6 only).

is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eggsaladsandwich wrote:
So, let me get this clear in my mind:
Normal assault:
Attacker gets to roll his attack dice Plus 1/2 dice of up to 2 assisting squads (hits on 4-6).
Defending squads get to roll any cover dice to reduce hits then get to roll their attack dice to score against attacking squad (hits on 4-6)

Hand to hand assault:
Attacker gets to roll his attack dice +1, no assisting squads allowed (hits on 4-6).
Defending squads get to roll any cover dice to reduce hits, then get to roll their attack dice to score against attacking squad (hits on 5 and 6 only).

is this correct?

That's how I read it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hss Hss
Norway
flag msg tools
But why is hand-to-hand more powerful? Isn't there an extra risk to hand-to-hand combat? I think hand-to-hand should be more deadly but that should apply for the attacker also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis maclaren

Oregon
msg tools
Grand Stone wrote:
But why is hand-to-hand more powerful? Isn't there an extra risk to hand-to-hand combat? I think hand-to-hand should be more deadly but that should apply for the attacker also.

If you are assaulting with a single squad then the hand to hand is a bit more powerful, however if you are able to assault normally w/supporting units then the normal assault becomes a bit more powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.