Popular Tags: [View All]
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all
I was recently lucky enough to purchase a copy of this game which I have been after for some time.
Being a fan of battletech and having battleforce I had heard this was better in many ways.
Just a short review IMHO.

This comprises two games in one but I will be commenting on the battleforce 2 portion as I have not played the other yet.

Having played battleforce yes this is far more streamlined and fun to play.
In the book there is only one scenario and a creator etc so you will pretty much be building your own unless you can find scenarios elsewhere? Any ideas?

Thr maps are probably the prettiest clearest most functional I have seen.
Shame they are duplicates and printed on thick paper rather than card stock.

Bottom line the game does allow you to pick units form a huge list and create you lances ,units etc with ease giving a feeling of scale.

For example each lance your create has a very simple stat sheet but details each individual mech in the lance.
The same is true of infantry,air units, armor etc.
Now while BF was unique units design and plays ok you never got the feeling of individual mech in it.
This solves the problem in that you can fire and target individual units and there damage all best simple is tracked seperatly.
If you have played battletech you will pick this up very quickly also as a lot of the rules are similar to battletech classic.
There is enough detail to make each unit feel uniques.
Even things like jumping,heat,ECM etc are featured.

While playing in no way did this feel cheap or wrong.
Game sequence is dice for initiative.
Winner chooses to act first or second.
On your turn you pass orders down through chain of command.
Move all units.
Attack with all units then you opponent plays the same sequence.

I thought winning initiative would give a player the edge since this does not have the simultaneous combat that BT has but that's not so. acting second gives you the chance to get behind a lance for a better shot etc so thing even out quite nicely.

Combat is a simple affair of the usual,check range line of site take a basic to hit number and ad,remove a few modifiers.
Each unit shows you how much damage a hit at your range does so you just apply it.
When you overcome the units armor the critical hits start.
That's the fun bit where heads blow up etc.

On appear this sounded like it would take forever but in play that is not the case since in the games we have played you tend to keep hitting one mech until he is gone so many of the attack roll stats are the same as each of your lance takes shots at said mech until they are dust.

The way orders are used is quite innovative.
They are represented by chits which are physically placed on command units and moved turn by turn down the chain of command.
So getting orders to the units at the bottom of the chain can take few turns.

Battleforce 2 improves over battleforce in many ways.
They have swapped gimmicky little standup figures for boring counters and functional stat sheets but its what a game of this scale needs to works.

Overall the game feels right bottom line.
The depth of the game and possibilities are huge.

My only gripe is it would have been nice to have a few more scenarios out of the box instead of the huge amount of fluff.
I think the game would also benefit from modded epic,1/100 minis.

Overall love this game and it still feels fresh today allowing you to create huge battles in the battletech universe.

At this scale yes we have lost the micromanagement of battletech but have gained large scale interesting encounters playable in a few hours with far more tactics and strategic consideration.

On a final thought I was so happy to finally get this great gem.

Components 7
Rules 8
Gameplay. 9
Overall. 8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hart
United States
DPO
AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review. I haven't played in ...well a while, but will look at getting back into it.
Jokerman wrote:
Hi all
In the book there is only one scenario and a creator etc so you will pretty much be building your own unless you can find scenarios elsewhere? Any ideas?

The 4th Succession War Atlas gives you quite a few scenarios that fit almost perfectly.

Jokerman wrote:

The maps are probably the prettiest clearest most functional I have seen. Shame they are duplicates and printed on thick paper rather than card stock. Just some ideas for some of your comments.

There are several online map makers for BT that you can use to make them and then repint them out and paste them onto card stock.

Jokerman wrote:

Bottom line the game does allow you to pick units form a huge list and create you lances ,units etc with ease giving a feeling of scale. For example each lance your create has a very simple stat sheet but details each individual mech in the lance. The same is true of infantry,air units, armor etc. Now while BF was unique units design and plays ok you never got the feeling of individual mech in it.

Heavy Metal, the mech builder program series, has a great Battleforce function where you can turn any combination of mechs into Battleforce stats. You can make units of mechs, vehicles and troops customized to the individual mech or platoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx for the tips buddy
I will check these out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the first edition a long time ago. I seem to recall that there was no advantage to the light or medium lance units. You always wanted the heavies.

Do they address that in any way in the 2nd edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow longest delay in replying ever?.
The fact that each lance is now made up of individual mechs with there own stats solves that problem.
The medium lances will now have a better mix of mechs amongst them ergo they will be more combat effective.
And of course we now have the option of tweaking your own lances to tast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.