Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michał Juszczak
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

I've been playing Nations last weekend and while playing question emerged in my mind.

While playing B-sides both Rome and Greece you have Antiquity Soldiers printed on players boards and your starting buildings in both cases look like they have been choosen with keeping support of this soldiers in mind ( Rome Legionary consumes food and they have aqueduct which provides 2 food, Greece Hoplite consume ore and all their buildings provide ore). Shouldn't Persia have Immortals especially since they have Ziggurat providing 2 stability and no food producing buildings ? Also Persia bonus is 3 colonies and its very hard for them to compete for colonies early in the game (first turn especially) because of their Axeman which only provides 2 military as opposed to Rome and Greece 3.

[ all this means that you got building which is usable only in certain situations (when you need stability for event and/or war,) and you need 3 workers on military to achieve 6 (which lets you colonize most of 1st era colonies) or you need to buy military unit and then use 2 workers both cases means that you can start colonizing after at least 2 actions (for simple 4 and less defense colonies) or after 3 actions (for harder ones) in which case they're probably long gone. Sure you can build up military in first turn to be able to colonize from the beginning in 2nd and on later turns but you're less flexible in first turn and this hinders Persia a little in my opinion especially since their bonus is being able to colonize more) and yes you can take worker in first growth from stability thanks to ziggurat which is nice but my group found out that taking workers from stability is usually worse idea than taking them from food, some situations can make it better option though so i have nothing against Persia ziggurat don't get me wrong its great building you just need to play it smart]

Because of this i found Persia most of all nations susceptible to random part of this game - what will come in card row cause if they want to utilize their bonus they need both military units and colonies and most probably building which will help them support military units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am not familiar with all the B sides, and I've only played once, I will say that after playing with the Persia B side, I share your assessment. I tried to capitalize on the extra colony spot, but by the time I was strong enough to colonize, they were already taken by other players. It seems that a lot of the success (or failure) of Persia could hinge on the Event cards. If they reward a strong military, then those extra military units might not be eating up food (from extra population) and resources for no gain. But the colonies only get stronger and stronger. But, getting a better military tech probably means replacing the Axemen, so those resources (and actions) are now wasted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rousselle
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
How did you draft the nations? If players draft nations in sequence, then Persia might be a poor choice if drafting first as Rome and Greece might subsequently be drafted. However, if I'm 4th to draft in a 4 player game, I might draft Persia. Drafting 4th means I go 1st in round 1. Going 1st in round 1 might go a long way in addressing your situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
Persia b-side is harder to use fully than for example Rome which is a strong early colonizing power, and definitely not something you should play in your first game. You will never be able to fill up all 3 colony slots in the first round, and most probably not in the second round either (more likely round 3-5). While the power of Rome declines over time the power of Persia increases over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Persia would be overpowered with Immortals. They already get the 3rd colony slot, which is a huge advantage over the course of the game. Having to pay for a military upgrade seems fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Hannula
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
The probabilistic nature of being
badge
Truthful speech, proper understanding, unselfish action
mbmbmbmbmb
montu wrote:
I think Persia would be overpowered with Immortals. They already get the 3rd colony slot, which is a huge advantage over the course of the game. Having to pay for a military upgrade seems fair.

I wholeheartedly agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Juszczak
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer

In my post i wasnt trying to imply that persia is broken just wanted to clarify how i got the impression which lead to my question about immortals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.