Popular Tags: [View All]
Gilles Daquin
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I will need to stay at the office on the 30th and 31st for work (mainly to be there in case of emergency, we don't expect much to happen besides okaying some operations).

The super positive aspect is that we will have (a)rooms with big tables and (b)nobody to really disturb us. So it will be wargame time!...

We have GMT's Normandy '44 and Ardennes '44. Which one would you recommend to play over these two days?

We don't want too much hard work with the rules and just have a good time. Any recommendation for one or the other?

thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the description, Normandy has simplified the Ardennes ruleset
It is also a 1-mapper to save table space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nukeu666 wrote:
According to the description, Normandy has simplified the Ardennes ruleset
It is also a 1-mapper to save table space

Not necessarily...

I say play Normandy '44!
(I'm thoroughly enjoying this solo. It's slow going for my first game and going to have to tuck it in the Game Keeper for a week because buddies are coming over to play Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday and we'll play other games on top of the table - but the game is really fun and immersive.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normandy'44 has a 7 turn scenario that is playable in one long sitting. It is also easily divided into 4 player sides. However N'44 is a summer game.

Ardennes'44 is also easily divided into 4 players. It is a larger game and takes longer to play. However it is a winter game....

Playability says Normandy'44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get snow outside, I would say go with Ardennes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ardennes, purely because of theme but I insist on adding some additional rules to represent the confusion, surprise and uncertainty that the American forces faced. It includes several bottles of falling down juice, hey it is New Years Eve after all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ardennes certainly feels more thematic for the holiday, but you are more likely to get through a full game of Normandy '44 than Ardennes '44, which is a substantially bigger game. Both fabulous games, of course, and I am jealous of your chance to play at work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
But you will miss the "Red and White Song Battle" by playing wargames. Or is that the real reason to wargame? Go with the wintery Bulge game!
Enjoy Oshougatsu!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Daquin
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah ah, ok thanks for the feedback. It seems we are heading for the Bulge then.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play Ardennes '44, partly because I havent played it, and partly because I enjoy Normandy '44 more solo than Face to Face.

Normandy '44 a slugfest of sorts, and one that forces you to play the historical strategy without a whole lot of room for your own machinations. It is most definitely a game of attrition, with both sides loosing a lot of troops. This makes the game bog down into an almost trench warfare like feeling, especially at the beginning of the game at the beachheads and during the middle of the game in the marshy areas of Cherbourg and at the city of Caen. It can break wide open at the end of the game, but if that happens, its game over for the Germans. The German strategy
Spoiler (click to reveal)
is essentially to delay the breakthrough for as long as possible, and hopefully indefinitely.
This works great and is quite fun when playing solo, but I found it to be a little dreary for FtF. I personally like a good amount of room for creative, and perhaps ahistorical, maneuvering.

That makes me think I would really like a North Africa game. I need to play one.

Anyway, Normandy '44 is still a fantastic game and I highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.