Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

I've come up with a variant that I've just started testing out that I thought I'd share here for anyone that might be interested (I looked though a couple of pages of threads and didn't see this variant suggested, but forgive me if it has and I just missed it).

It's the Universal Threat Meter, and for a six-player game currently looks like this:

I love the basic premise that the more zombies you kill, the more you level up and the more dangerous the game becomes, but I've never really enjoyed the whole "try-not-to-kill-too-many-zombies-with-the-same-survivor-for-fear-of-pushing-the-danger-level-up" thing, and trying to spread the kills out evenly between survivors just doesn't feel very fun or thematic to me.

So I've created a universal threat meter that all kills (and other XP gains) contribute towards. Each individual survivor still levels up their skills as usual of course, but it's the universal threat meter that determines the danger level for zombie spawns.

Now this could at times make the game easier, as a single survivor could enter the yellow zone say, and - if no-one else has any kills - the danger level would still remain on blue. However, if several survivors have a handful of kills, but no-one has yet entered yellow, the overall danger level may well rise to blue regardless, so things kind of balance out. I guess on reflection this actually discourages even levelling of survivors, and favours a more erratic approach (which seems to be the case whenever I play anyway!).

One could of course tinker or adjust the threat zones to ones liking, making the game as hard or easy as one wishes. Here's a blank threat meter for anyone who fancies having a play around with different zone boundaries to come up with you own variants:

Finally, here's a version designed with 4-player games in mind:

I printed mine out on A3 paper and used a zombie as a counter, but I imagine they will print quite nicely on A4, and a dice or whatever could serve as the counter.

I played a game using the 6-player version the other day, and found it quite liberating; I was just able to enjoy the action a bit more and the game just felt that bit more immersive.

Feel free to ignore/bash/embrace/experiment with the idea, and if anyone would like me to prepare some specific variants I'd be happy to oblige.

Happy hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I like the idea.

I bet more than a few people would end up "gaming" this system though. Hiding a few survivors off in the background away from danger while the heavy hitters rack up the points...or worse missions with operable cars...simply drive around playing Zombie smash till everyone is in orange... and have the skills where they become more useful.

Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting idea, especially easy, as you've done all the work with your chart. As for me, I like to give the more squeamish members of my team a chance to get some experience early on. I let them take out some of the Zs when there are just a few, even though I could more easily put them down, because I just know that things are going to get worse before they get better, so everyone had better be able to carry their fair share of the load when all hell breaks loose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Floydski wrote:
.simply drive around playing Zombie smash till everyone is in orange... and have the skills where they become more useful.

I believe the chart is for determining zombie spawning only. You still need to individually track each survivor for the individual's skills to level up. Don't see how driving around would affect this system differently than the present one in terms of an individual's skill level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
Floydski wrote:
.simply drive around playing Zombie smash till everyone is in orange... and have the skills where they become more useful.

I believe the chart is for determining zombie spawning only. You still need to individually track each survivor for the individual's skills to level up. Don't see how driving around would affect this system differently than the present one in terms of an individual's skill level.

Correct sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Machado
Brazil
flag msg tools
Quote:
Here's a blank threat meter

I can´t see it. Browser issue maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
DrPrO wrote:
Quote:
Here's a blank threat meter

I can´t see it. Browser issue maybe?

Can you see the colour 4 and 6-player ones? The blank one is the same (it has numbers on like the others so isn't technically "blank") except I haven't added the colour overlays to indicate the danger levels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the OP idea but just wait for season 3 wich will add squads to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Cepero
Belgium
Deurne
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tested it out like 2 times the way you designed it. It was ok, but not sure if I would use it like this all the time.

I do like the idea of having that universal threat meter for spawning purposes only but I might even add something to its rules:

You only advance the XP when you kill with non-silent weapons!

or maybe even further (and alot more difficult!)
You advance the threat meter every time you produce a noise (not counting the survivors basic 1 noise/turn)
This representing the fact that you draw more attention the more noise you make in general. The zombies come from the whole town!

cheers
José

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.