Subject: Full Sail Scoring Timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Full Sail Special: Before a base scores move any of your minions to any other bases (paraphrased)

My question is really hard to describe, but I will do my best.

At two points in the rulebook it states that you "Check to see if any bases can be scored." The first instance is the beginning of Step 3 (after the current player finishes playing any cards). The second instance is after any players have played any "after effects" following scoring any base(s). Since these are the only two times you START scoring a base my confusion on the timing with Full Sail is this...

A base (Base 1) is about to be scored. A player plays Full Sail and moves enough minions to another base (Base 2) that cause the power of minions on that base to exceed its break point. Since we have already passed the first instance of "Check to see if any bases can be scored", do we, in the interim, ignore Base 2 or should we score it in the same phase that Base 1 is scored? The other possibility is that we DO NOT score Base 2 in addition to Base 1 (at this time) and after Base 1 is scored players have the opportunity to "Play any after effects". After these after effects have been played, you then "Check to see if any bases can be scored" At this point, assuming there are still enough minions on Base 2 to exceed the break point, it would also score.

Sorry in advance if my question is confusing, but the timing of these events can certainly affect the outcome of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The order of a base score is...

- Choose a base that is eligible for scoring.
- (OPTIONAL) Play cards that are permitted at this time, usually denoted by the word "Special."
- Give VP to players.
- Resolve abilities that happen when a base scores.
- Discard scored base, then replace with new base.
- If another base is still eligible for scoring, do so now.

This would be the last option in your paragraph.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon MacDonald

Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
As a Simon replying to a Simon: If there are more than one base that is able to score during a turn, the player who's turn it is determines the order in which the bases are scored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is, ordinarily, correct. But with the Full Sail example, there is initially only one base eligible for scoring. The current player can only choose that base initially so you score that first. Full Sail happens after you've chosen a base to score which is why I asked the question. I was wondering if the current player could choose to have the second base scored first after Full Sail has been played, but based on the following and what the other Simon indicated it would seem you have to score base 1 first since you've already chosen it.

Directly from the Rulebook:

"After you are done playing cards, check to see
whether any bases are ready to score (see page 6).
If any are ready, you must start scoring.

When a base has been chosen to score, each
player first gets to use any Special abilities that
happen 'before' the base scores. If the total
power on a base drops below its breakpoint,
you still finish scoring the base.

After scoring, players can use Special abilities that
happen 'after' a base scores.

Check to see if another base is ready to be scored.
Score it too, the same way."

This last part is where you would start scoring the second base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
msg tools
Does "you still finish scoring the base" mean you still distribute the VP's as if the pirates contributed towards that base?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
chandrew wrote:
Does "you still finish scoring the base" mean you still distribute the VP's as if the pirates contributed towards that base?

No, it means that even if the abilities you use as the base is breaking causes the power to fall below the necessary breaking point the base will still break and VP given out based on player's standings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chandrew wrote:

No. You award the VPs using the new power totals. Any minions that were moved out or destroyed don't count, any minions newly moved or played there do count.

(Same thing as what J said, but in different words.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.