Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we know (obviously) that Voyager will come with Captain Janeway and that she has some kind of scan token based ability.

What else would it come with, hypothetically? My thoughts are:

Crew:

Almost definites:
As Tuvok wasn't in Excelsior, he is a near guarantee. Possibly mimicking the Romulan Tac officer ability.
Tom Paris. Possibly with a Romulan pilot-like ability.
Chakotay as the second, lower skill captain.
B'Elanna Torres. Some kind of warp core ejecting/engine boosting one-time ability or a disable to repair ability.
Seven of Nine. No real idea what she would do. Possibly some ability referencing her nanoprobes (as they were a deus ex machina in a LOT of episodes).
The Doctor: Not sure what he could do different than McCoy, but, the wildcard for him is the mobile emitter and the fact he is a hologram. Maybe something where he can be discarded instead of a discard-to-use crewman.

Not so sure they'll be in:

Harry Kim. No clue what he would provide in the constraints of the game.
Neelix. Ugh. He makes a sludge coffee that disables a captain? lolz.
Kes. Unlikely, but better than Neelix. She might get a prediction of opponent's move dial or something referencing her psychic abilities.

Upgrades:

Weapons:
Transphasic Torpedoes. As Voyager releases just before the start of the Collective OP Event series, anti-Borg measures are almost mandatory.
Photon Torps. Obviously.

Tech:
Ablative armor. see the transphasic torpedoes above.
Bio-neural circuitry. If not worked into Voyager's ship ability, this could be something that allows an extra free action, or possibly treats a red move as a white.
Variable Geometry Warp Nacelles: Not sure how this could be represented as anything other than a built in ability on Voyager, but, if an upgrade, would obviously affect movement.

Voyager herself, as a warp 9.975 capable vessel, the 6 straight would seem to be an obvious addition to her move dial. I wouldn't put base weapons any higher than 3. I would almost consider the possibility of an Evade 2, with a lower shield or hull than Fed average.

Voyager's ship ability, if not from anything mentioned above, would more than likely involve re-rolls of attacks or damage, representing her luckiness and hardiness of surviving 7 years in the Delta Quadrant with no support. Maybe even an ability of "If Voyager is the only Federation vessel in your fleet..." etc... to represent her being on her own.

Anyway. Just speculation. Your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew's also dropped hints about Paris and Tuvok. Paris has been implied to share some similarity with Sulu (not a huge surprise there). Tuvok is supposed to help significantly with secondary weapons. That could be something like the Gor Portas effect (not having to discard Target Lock), or maybe something like a more powerful version of Lojur? Personally, my money is on a Gor Portas-type effect, which would make him a treasure for the Feds in particular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew SPQR
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Harry Kim: Discard Harry Kim to prevent one of your upgrades from being disabled. -He's essentially the ship's Charlie brown and one step up from the redshirts.

The Emergency Command Hologram: A unique or generic captain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spqrappelt wrote:
Harry Kim: Discard Harry Kim to prevent one of your upgrades from being disabled. -He's essentially the ship's Charlie brown and one step up from the redshirts.

That's exactly where I went with it:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
Voyager herself, as a warp 9.975 capable vessel, the 6 straight would seem to be an obvious addition to her move dial.

I *believe* that was confirmed.

Andrew mentioned, in context of the upcoming Federation ships (so - at that time - Excelsior, Equinox, and Voyager) that the Federation would get a '6' maneuver as an upgrade, as well as a '6' native.

Obviously, Excelsior gave us the '6' upgrade, so I'd expect Voyager, indeed, to have the '6' native.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting to go back to this now, 4 months later and after Voyager's release, and see how I did...

Tuvok: Close. Weapons related, but, different than I predicted.
Chakotay: Right, but, my suggestion was so vague, it doesn't count.
B'Elanna Torres: Got that one totally wrong.
Seven of Nine: Pretty much nailed it, yet, it was vague too so, I'll put this in the same category as Chakotay.
Doctor: Not really.

Harry Kim: right that he was in. and pretty much as useless as he was on the show.

Neelix and Kes: Not included. Yay!! (although, Kes could have been interesting).

Transphasic Torpedoes: nailed it.
Photon Torpedoes: No brainer.

Ablative Armor: nailed it
Bio-Neural Circuitry: nailed that it would be included. Got the ability wrong.
Variable Geometry Warp Nacelles: Missed it.

Voyager's stats:
Speed 6: nailed it
Weapons: wrong
Evade: Nailed it
Hull: wrong
Shields: Wrong

Ship ability: Wrong.

I WISH Tuvok had had the same effect as Gor Portas' ship ability, as suggested by Illyth... He would have been a mandatory include in every Fed build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:

I WISH Tuvok had had the same effect as Gor Portas' ship ability, as suggested by Illyth... He would have been a mandatory include in every Fed build.

Probably good that he was wrong then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.