blood tearer
msg tools
I think the game I'm looking for is something like Warhammer Quest or perhaps Blood Bowl/Necromunda/Mordheim

I play with a group of 3 friends every sunday, so we'd really like a game where your character (or team) levels up from session to session. Co-op or competetive is not as important.

We've played (and enjoyed) Blood Bowl, Necromunda and Arkham Horror. Blood Bowl and Necromunda can be a bit on the heavy side to "operate" over extended playing sessions because team balance becomes an issue, where one team quickly dominates the others without extensive house ruling or "policing". Additionally Necromunda can be a bit clunky with all the terrain needed (especially for 2x 2-player games). Arkham Horror lacks progression from playthrough to playthrough.

Is it really only Warhammer Quest that will meet our need for progression and a "game that plays you" or where we play eachother? It seems hard and/or pricey to come by.

All your suggestions will be very welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You might want to check out shadows of brimstone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
blood tearer
msg tools
ch82 wrote:
You might want to check out shadows of brimstone

Sounds like a great suggestion! I don't know if we'll be hooked on the western theme, but the mechanincs sound just right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Mice and Mystics. It fits pretty well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
blood tearer
msg tools
epilepticemu wrote:
Try Mice and Mystics. It fits pretty well!

Also a great suggestion! I've read about this and I'm getting it as soon as my gaming store has it back in stock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, while not a board game, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set might fill the same itch. The theme is the same--group of adventurers having adventures and leveling up over multiple sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Two other games that are similar (also Kickstarters, so you'll be waiting again) are galaxy defenders and myth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring your towel.
United States
Morrilton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Kill Ball. Fun sci-fi football-of-death game (can you say, behead an opponent and use their head as a ball to score with? ) with player leveling. Only 4 characters per team required. The base game comes with everything you need, although it should be relatively easy to find minis to substitute in for the chits. I personally used HeroClix figures, popped off the bases and glued to mdf squares that fit the grid on the board, and repainted them in team colors. Same could be done for MageKnight minis or any clix minis, since they tend to be just about the perfect size in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set, it is the first one that came to mind.
Just know that it is more an "experience" than a "game".
If you can approach it with the right min it is really fun (I did not and I hated it at first.)

Also I wonder if something that has team progression during the game (not retained between sessions) may interest you nevertheless.
Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game can let you play a season in an hour, since you mention BB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
blood tearer
msg tools
K____ wrote:
Another vote for Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set, it is the first one that came to mind.
Just know that it is more an "experience" than a "game".
If you can approach it with the right min it is really fun (I did not and I hated it at first.)

Also I wonder if something that has team progression during the game (not retained between sessions) may interest you nevertheless.
Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game can let you play a season in an hour, since you mention BB.

Mostly it would have to be "permanent" progression, we tend to get attached to our characters (or team when we played Blood Bowl). I may have to look into Pathfinder, haven't tried card games before

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I believe there are variants for DungeonQuest (third edition) that allow for campaign play.

The Pathfinder card game that others have mentioned definitely has a level-up campaign thing going on, but you should check reviews before you determine whether it's the game you want.

They are very much not roleplaying games, but Risk Legacy and the upcoming SeaFall might be up your alley as there is definitely an emphasis on permanent progression from game to game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
blood tearer
msg tools
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
I believe there are variants for DungeonQuest (third edition) that allow for campaign play.

The Pathfinder card game that others have mentioned definitely has a level-up campaign thing going on, but you should check reviews before you determine whether it's the game you want.

They are very much not roleplaying games, but Risk Legacy and the upcoming SeaFall might be up your alley as there is definitely an emphasis on permanent progression from game to game.

DungeonQuest sounds like a good bet, I'll check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom dietl
Germany
regensburg
bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Alert: The New Frontier and Countdown: Special Ops maybe!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.