Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't have anything to add, I just thought I'd be the first to mention it here

FX: Lights blue touch paper, stands well back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
If only all the weapons he designed could disappear from the world with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:

This Swedish guy's invention has killed more people -

But to be fair, Mount Rushmore couldn't have been created without his stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:

But he did feel guilt over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope for a day when weapons are not needed but frankly they still are. Whether weapons are used for attack or defense depends on the person and the circumstances. Unfortunately in today's world, "peace through superior fire-power" is all too real.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
whac3 wrote:
I hope for a day when weapons are not needed but frankly they still are. Whether weapons are used for attack or defense depends on the person and the circumstances. Unfortunately in today's world, "peace through superior fire-power" is all too real.

I still recall that Strategic Air Command's motto, while flying B-52s loaded with multiple megaton-nuclear Warhead bombs, was "Peace is Our Profession"

Awesome. Truly Ironically Awesome.

Edward Teller. Whattaguy.

Really it wasn't ironic at all; it was a positive reinforcement of the priorities. Militaries do make war when they have to but I for one prefer the perspective that having to do so means that a failure to effectively maintain peace has occurred.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
utoption2 wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:

Simon: Along with all the weapons Eugene Stoner designed?

I was referring to the AK-47 specifically and the purposes it is/was used for around the world.

But it's a moot point of course. If I remember correctly, the second deadliest assault rifle in Africa is the H&K G3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:

To be honest, he only continued what the Nazi's started with the Stg 44. If he didn't invent the AK, some other international arms dealer would have. If his guns disappeared, the market would be flooded with something else. The demand is what should be addressed. Stamping out supply is always going to fail, much like the War On Drugs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19870688

Quote:
"My aim was to create armaments to protect the borders of my motherland," he said.

"It is not my fault that the Kalashnikov was used in many troubled places. I think the policies of these countries are to blame, not the designers."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19870688

Quote:
"My aim was to create armaments to protect the borders of my motherland," he said.

"It is not my fault that the Kalashnikov was used in many troubled places. I think the policies of these countries are to blame, not the designers."

Ahh yes, the pulp mad inventor defense.

"This is my peace loving gentle father Prof VonNaiveavich, the inventor of the "killeverythingeverinstanltyotron" that he invented just to make the tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:

Yeah, but he thought (mistakenly) his invention was going to end war. I'm pretty sure Kalashnikov had no such delusions. Heck, he probably wasn't even going for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is they're too damn reliable and rugged. Something that is able to kill so well should require maintinence and all the discipline/organization that goes with it. AKs turn 12 guys in the back of a pickup into a mobile village-killer, with almost zero upkeep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
whac3 wrote:

I still recall that Strategic Air Command's motto, while flying B-52s loaded with multiple megaton-nuclear Warhead bombs, was "Peace is Our Profession"

Awesome. Truly Ironically Awesome.

Edward Teller. Whattaguy.

As someone who served for several years in SAC, I can tell you that the corollary to that, most often found as graffiti in various locals was "War is our Hobby"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a really really cool SAC museum in Ashland, NE. You aren't roped off from anything and are able walk up to and under the aircraft and stand inside the open bomb bays. Pretty impressive to see a B-52 in person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:

Yeah, but he thought (mistakenly) his invention was going to end war. I'm pretty sure Kalashnikov had no such delusions. Heck, he probably wasn't even going for that.

I very much doubt if dynamite has killed more people than AK47s. If you count all high explosives then obviously not. Also what is the non-violent use of AK47s? they are machines for killing people, nothing more nothing less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:

I very much doubt if dynamite has killed more people than AK47s. If you count all high explosives then obviously not. Also what is the non-violent use of AK47s? they are machines for killing people, nothing more nothing less.

Not sure why you posted this as a response to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.