3 Liberated Account

Icebreaker (10)
2 Corroder
3 Darwin
3 Knight
2 Mimic

Program (2)
2 Bishop

Darwin is a really fun card to me. Before the plugged in tour, I was running a standard darwin list to decent success. During the plugged in tour, however, we got the spoilers for Swordsman and Wraparound. "RIP DARWIN" was the general consensus. It was already pretty difficult, having to include a lot of cards to facilitate your breaker, but having cards that shutdown your breaker specifically seemed to be the final straw.

I liked the card a little too much to just give up on it.

This deck is sort of based on zoning out the corp, like in this article http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1053419/zoning-in-netrunner/....

Initially, the deck is all about Reina. Facechecking early can net you some free accesses, while draining the early game economy of the corp just a little bit more each time. Once you've forced the corp to limit your access to RnD and HQ, it's time to start putting on the pressure.

Darwin and Knight are your key breakers. Darwin will eventually net you free turns, and Knight can keep the corp from rezzing particularly nasty ice. Mimic is useful when you think Swordsman is a card you will encounter. Corroder is primarily in the deck to counteract Wraparound when it gets printed but can also get through some of darwin's problem ice like TMI, Hadrian's Wall, and Wotan. If i had one more influence i would definitely include a Femme for emergencies. maybe switch out a QT?

Darwin and Knight are made incredibly efficient with E3 Feedback Implants. E3 also helps you get around another problem ice for Darwin, Janus 1.0.

This deck is about preparing for the future. The nature of Darwin will lead the corp to virus purge often. It is important to note what strength/what time the corp has decided to purge viruses. Usually, it is because the corp wants a window to score an agenda.

The econ in the deck is really quite basic. Liberated Accounts is amazingly fast. I tend to build up my kati until a virus purge, and use LA and AC for my run/install economy.

With 2-3 bonus turns over the course of a game, it's easy to amass a good heap of credits to Vamp the corp down to zero, and make some really inexpensive runs on RnD or HQ.

I don't use medium, nerve agent, or datasucker in this deck specifically because of how frequently i will see a virus purge. I feel like unfortunately even though I am playing surge which is great for flash medium digs, Darwin is the worst virus to play alongside other viruses.

A seasoned corp player will time their virus purges very specifically to try and make an agenda play against you. Your surges in hand are trumps, allowing you to make it into a server that the corp isn't ready for you to get into yet. An EXTRA seasoned corp will know what you have to invest to run that server, and might try to make an Ambush play instead. with no room for expose, this deck can be susceptible for bluffs. One way to counteract this is to vamp the corps bankrupt, then check. Otherwise, you'll just have to evaluate the corp, and what they're playing.

Darwin interacts with the current ICE pool in a very interesting way. There are several problem ICE and cards that augment ICE that you have to be aware of.

The number one problem, of course, is the Corporate Troubleshooter. easy rez, and because you are playing darwin, it can be quite easy to pump a piece of ice out of range of your icebreakers. From my experience, Troubleshooter is far more frequent in decks that run Archer specifically. If an archer is rezzed, or you see one in a central server access, you should be ready for these cards to be paired together. Now that Jinteki has Clone Retirement and a deck archetype that revolves around little agendas, This is a combo you will see in Jin, NBN, and Weyland the most. be prepared.

After Archer/Troubleshooter, Grim is the second worst ice to deal with. When you get to a certain point in the game, it's always optimal to have a Knight hosted on an unrezzed piece of ice when you're making a run and your darwin strength is less than 5. It's ok to lose the Knight if they delete it unrezzed to install something else.

If anyone has any questions/comments, please let me know! This deck has gone through a lot of iteration, and right now i'm trying to weigh Deep Red vs Spinal Modem. I am also potentially interested in Keyhole, as one of the big drawbacks of this deck is that it has no archives pressure.

I hope that this deck at least warrants you take a second look at the fish, because it's a interesting way to play runner~ Sorry if i rambled a little too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
I can see the base synergy here. Darwin and Knight require similar support structures, and they complement each other to some extent - you can Knight early game while Darwin pumps up, and Knight is your clutch go-to card when they reset Darwin.

Unfortunately everything else in the deck seems somewhat misplaced. I think you've been sucked too far into Caissa, and that Deep Red/Bishop is a lot worse than Grimoire/Parasite/Datasucker, and Medium/Nerve Agent is surely better than using influence for singleton Interfaces.

I see some logic in avoiding lots of Viruses, but if you hit a critical mass of them then the Corp is unable to purge often enough to keep you down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Norman
msg tools
Seems like Deep Red is kind of a waste. You have 5 Caissas and no recursion. One of it's biggest strengths in a Knight deck is being able to insta-install knight during a run and get it where it needs to go. Spinal Modem will save you a lot more than the couple of clicks from Deep Red (unless you are playing against lots of tracer ice) and you're not program heavy so how much memory do you need?

Is Personal Touch too influence heavy? Darwin is popular here and knowing Darwin can be strength 3 or so immediately after every purge is terrifying.
Like the general idea. Darwin, Knight, Mimic is a scary combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Perry
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
also spinal modem can be used to power darwin.

i think that's the first switch i will make.

I used to have djinn and MO instead of armitage. I might try going back to djinn tutors instead of special order, and trying more viruses. I just found from my orignial experience with the deck that mediums, nerve agents, and datasuckers just didn't accrue enough virus counters to make them worthwhile. interfaces were an investment, but they couldn't be purged.

so i just shopped something on break~

Darwin-Knight (49 cards)

Reina Roja: Freedom Fighter

Darwin-Knight (49 cards)

Event (8)
3 Sure Gamble
3 Surge
2 Vamp

Hardware (11)
3 Cyberfeeder
2 E3 Feedback Implants
2 Plascrete Carapace
2 Spinal Modem
2 The Personal Touch

Resource (12)
2 Armitage Codebusting
2 Ice Carver
2 Kati Jones
3 Liberated Account
2 Professional Contacts
1 The Source

Icebreaker (10)
2 Corroder
3 Darwin
1 Femme Fatale
2 Knight
2 Mimic

Program (8)
3 Datasucker
2 Djinn
2 Medium
1 Nerve Agent

i go back to djinn and viruses. datasucker gives me a little archives pressure. having more viruses synergizes a little more with cyberfeeder and surge, just in case i need to make a surge hail mary play with nerve agent or medium instead of darwin. the thing i lose in this iteration is being able to tutor for corroder and mimic.

thanks for some feedback, it's appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darwin and Knight indeed feel like they go well together. But all my tries at a Darwin deck ended up switching to Shaper - my current build using influence on Darwin, Femme, Knight, Mimic, E3, 3 Cyberfeeders and 3 Surges.

In your deck, I feel you don't need tutors (and especially out of faction tutors) so much - you have multiples of breakers and if you really want Darwin more reliably you can use Djinn. I tried a quick take on your idea - without Corroder as Wraparound is not printed yet, using influence mainly on things supplementing Darwin strategy.

Event (10)
2 Easy Mark ••
2 Quality Time ••
3 Sure Gamble
3 Surge

Hardware (12)
3 Cyberfeeder
2 E3 Feedback Implants ••••
2 Plascrete Carapace
2 Spinal Modem
3 The Personal Touch ••••• •

Resource (7)
3 Armitage Codebusting
2 Kati Jones
2 Liberated Account

Icebreaker (10)
3 Darwin
1 Femme Fatale
3 Knight
3 Mimic

Program (6)
2 Bishop
2 Djinn
1 Medium
1 Nerve Agent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Trundle
msg tools
mb
I've never put together a Darwin deck, but I've always been curious why more folks doing this weren't running Ice Carver. I know it's unique, but it seems like it's, in effect, another Personal Touch for the whale, while it also helps trim down Data Ravens/Ichis for your Mimic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
strundle wrote:
I've never put together a Darwin deck, but I've always been curious why more folks doing this weren't running Ice Carver. I know it's unique, but it seems like it's, in effect, another Personal Touch for the whale, while it also helps trim down Data Ravens/Ichis for your Mimic.

Ice Carver is in almost all of my non-tagme decks. With the advent of Swordsman and Wraparound, it's on my to-do list for Mahamacatman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.