+ Engage (3+1)
+ Advanced Weapons System (5+1)
+ Synon (5+1)
* Romulan Flagship (10)
+ Additional Weapons Array (4)
+ Attack Pattern Delta (3+1)
====

End up with a ship that has...
Attack: 2 (obviously it will be mostly attacking using its "additional weapons array" - attack of '4' without needing a target lock)
Agility: 4 (8 when cloaked)
Hull: 2
Shields: 3

It obviously relies on its cloak far more than comparable Romulan ships, but the Advanced Weapons System should help it stay under, and it rolls a PILE of evade dice (8 base, 9 at range 3). If you get a terrible roll, you can always trigger 'Attack Pattern Delta' to re-roll it.

Not QUITE Kirk-with-three-'cheat-deaths'...but going to be a pretty tough nut to crack. It will take a couple turns between shots to reset the various systems (re-enable 'advanced weapon system', re-enable 'additional weapons array'), so on those turns the Romulan player uses the Vo's special ability to get a free 'evade' token, and Picard runs 'battle stations' to help convert those results to evades, while the ship action resets the combat systems.

Given the relatively ridiculous amount of green on the ship's dial, and the ability to even K-turn without taking stress, and free sensor echo to 3-straight distances...

This seems like it'd be a very, very frustrating ship to fight against! And it'd still leave you 43 points for his wingman...

Maybe...

IRW Valdore (30)
+ Dukat (5+1)
+ Engage (3+1)
+ Boheeka (2+1)
====

Dukat obviously taking 'battlestations' whenever he can, because it's always an awesome choice, and the re-roll from the nearby flagship helps with the blanks. At least one blank remaining AFTER the re-roll can then be further modified to a 'hit' via Boheeka, so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Vulcan
msg tools
mbmb
I like the vo, great ramming ship, and can be an ok flagship due to defence/etc.

I do have a couple issues with your build:
1) with sooo little hull, and no interphase Gen or cheat death, you are risking A Ton of points on a very high risk. Assume you need to mitigate a 9 dice BOF with drex, or a galaxy Scotty flagship rolling 9 at close range and your reliance on defence die alone may not be enough to justify over half your fleet total. Just my thoughts =)
2) over half your fleet points being spent on a 4 attack one action ship, sure its defence is ok, but a large rom ship with interphase is more dmg, same number of actions (since u need to re-enable weapon each turn) and close to same defence but has a lot more life.

Are you thinking if using this to tank the planet with in op4, that's one of the only options I see for it, but remember you can't cloak and re-enable the weapon same turn so that won't be too effective there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
docvulcan wrote:
Are you thinking if using this to tank the planet with in op4, that's one of the only options I see for it, but remember you can't cloak and re-enable the weapon same turn so that won't be too effective there?

Once I cloak, I'm not ever coming OUT of cloak. That's the point of the 'advanced weapons system'.

So the ship can, on any turn, get:
- One Picard action (battle stations, target lock, scan, or evade)
- One free 'flagship' action (free sensor echo, since the ship is perpetually under cloak, even on turns it attacks)
- One free 'ship ability' action (free 'evade' on turns I'm NOT attacking)
- One ship action (generally, this will be re-enabling the secondary weapon or re-enabling AWS - but might be 'engage' if I need to get out of a sticky situation)

Since Picard is skill 9, in a Romulan list built to 100 points, I'll generally be moving last - always last vs Klingons and Federation ships, anyway - so will have a pretty good sense of the situation on the map to figure out where the ship needs to go to get out of lines of fire.

The general point of the thing is to simply not be in weapons arc of anything shooting at me. I've got a ton of evade dice to try to shrug off attacks that do come through, but the goal of the build is to just never be in front of the enemy. It's a bit of a different goal than a ship built around interphase generator (or the like) to actually take an attack and shrug it off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The point of the vo is an action based support ship. Its big point is to be uncloaked at close range, take an evade token to not attack, and then drop shields to throw stuff at the opponent. (Bochra or parem to kill an annoying crew, or ultrinuim explosives to do damage without attacking.)

After that, it's just a support ship for those people how put donatra on the science vessel and leave it cloak for that +1 attack, which now can free action cloak and then evade if they feel they lined up a shot, or generic for that extra agility to survive longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
docvulcan wrote:

Once I cloak, I'm not ever coming OUT of cloak. That's the point of the 'advanced weapons system'.

So the ship can, on any turn, get:
- One Picard action (battle stations, target lock, scan, or evade)
- One free 'flagship' action (free sensor echo, since the ship is perpetually under cloak, even on turns it attacks)
- One free 'ship ability' action (free 'evade' on turns I'm NOT attacking)
- One ship action (generally, this will be re-enabling the secondary weapon or re-enabling AWS - but might be 'engage' if I need to get out of a sticky situation)

Since Picard is skill 9, in a Romulan list built to 100 points, I'll generally be moving last - always last vs Klingons and Federation ships, anyway - so will have a pretty good sense of the situation on the map to figure out where the ship needs to go to get out of lines of fire.

The general point of the thing is to simply not be in weapons arc of anything shooting at me. I've got a ton of evade dice to try to shrug off attacks that do come through, but the goal of the build is to just never be in front of the enemy. It's a bit of a different goal than a ship built around interphase generator (or the like) to actually take an attack and shrug it off.

Sounds like the great basis for a sort of "catch me if you can" type of custom scenario! Really like the originality of this ship build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I think about it, the more I think that having Picard able to do a free Synon-enhanced sensor echo every turn, with no red maneuvers on your dial, could almost render 8 defense dice redundant in a lot of cases.

(You still want them, of course, particularly with Cardassians or Feds lurking about).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did something similar but used the Defiant as a base and utilizing Strike Force. You get pretty much the same action economy for decent damage. Cloaked mines shouldn't be a problem for you except in absurd numbers pinning you in, but be careful of Antimatter Mines. The Vo wasn't built to handle those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan kipps-bolton
United Kingdom
watford
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thats a whole lot of points for 2 hull.

even with 9 defense dice your still only looking at 3-4 evades.

Against a full klingon alpha strike getting 2 hits through isnt going to be a problem and with a BOF thats half your fleet gone in one puff of smoke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
jiffk wrote:
thats a whole lot of points for 2 hull.

even with 9 defense dice your still only looking at 3-4 evades.

Against a full klingon alpha strike getting 2 hits through isnt going to be a problem and with a BOF thats half your fleet gone in one puff of smoke

I think the point of the build is to avoid being in two arcs for BOF in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you might find a little bit of success. Ultimately this will be a failed experiment. The set up on the Valdore is sweet. The Vo just doesn't pose enough of a threat. It can attack for 4 every other round. That is the best case scenario. It only gets less threatening from there. The logical counter is to remove your only threat, the Valdore. Once that is accomplished the rest of the game can be spent pursuing the Vo. Maybe you get it, maybe you don't. I don't think the Vo will be able to reliably take out 2 ships to make up for the 43 points you lost. Then there will be the times your defense dice fail you and you lose the Vo too. You are spending 57 points to make the Vo playable. For 57 points you should get a monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.