Travis Eberle
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this a few times to get the various ideas and systems--one main thing is that if one player tries to throw too many wrenches in the works of other players he will do more to ruin his own game than to help it. That said I don't seem to win too often, and the player who comes right before me seems to win a lot.

Last time out my friend to the right is making aggressive plays, so I make counter plays (he puts down a four, I bend the water away.) Since I've fallen on the sword the other two players get to take their turn as normal which puts me behind. My friend says snidely "I do notice that I seem to win more than my fair share of games" and I point out that there's other reasons besides his own great strategy.

In a multiplayer game should sabotage be kept to a minimum? Should I let players who put down a four development have unimpeded access to the water with no challenge? Do I let someone else realize that the same guy is going to romp to victory again if no one stops him?

One suggestion I've put out is to play in partnerships with the player across from you, but barring that what is it I'm missing here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The times I have played this game, and someone has tried to stop water from getting to my houses, instead of spending my turns putting down more irrigation routes, I spent my turns putting down houses.

This forces more focus on stopping me, and that prevents people from building their own houses.

In the same vein I never find myself trying to stop another person, I just try to out build them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll only twist the canal in another direction as a defensive measure... for example, if he places a 2nd canal and it goes towards his 4-tile, it'd be very difficult to get it back into the direction of my 4-tile. Instead, I'll place the 2nd canal first to ensure I won't have to make a huge loop, or find alternative measures. Either way, whatever saves me several turns.

Otherwise, the problem with twisting away from someone else is that they'll just retaliate and then do it to you too. Now, the 3rd or 4th player will come out ahead.

EDIT: clarifications

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cardshark28800 wrote:
In a multiplayer game should sabotage be kept to a minimum?

In virtually every multiplayer game, I find the answer to this question to be an emphatic YES.

Now, it's been a while since I've played Aquadukt. I doubt it's any different, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cardshark28800 wrote:
Should I let players who put down a four development have unimpeded access to the water with no challenge?
You need some help from the die, but an alternate tactic is to be watchful for ways to place your own houses near to "his" water.

cardshark28800 wrote:
My friend says snidely "I do notice that I seem to win more than my fair share of games" and I point out that there's other reasons besides his own great strategy.
I don't have to say it snidely, or even at all; my friends say it for me. I teach new players and they already announce up front that I win more often than they think common.

Philosophical Confrontation: "Hey, he makes everyone else do all the work."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cardshark28800 wrote:
In a multiplayer game should sabotage be kept to a minimum?

Yes. Unless the whole group plays that way, you generally should only try to harm another player if you are helping yourself at the same time. In this game, it would mean diverting the water from an opponent's houses to supply your own houses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.