Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory Daignault
United States
minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that there is a fixed starting personal deck, like Dominon. But how do you construct the trade deck? Is it just random? How many of each card can be in the trade deck?

Also what happens if the deck runs out before a player is elimated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Austin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The trade deck is just all 80 trade deck cards shuffled together.

As for what to do when the trade deck runs out before the end of the game, I am not sure as it doesn't appear to be addressed in the rule book. My guess is that you would reshuffle the scrap deck, but I don't know what that would mean for Scouts and Vipers that were scrapped (they don't have a cost do they?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The trade deck is all 80 cards. It works similar to games like Ascension with a 5-6 card buy row that replaces cards as they get bought.

The rules say someone wins when the opponent's Authority gets reduced to zero. It shouldn't take all 80 cards to get there unless things have gone horribly wrong. I would just assume you continue until someone is at zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy VanSchalkwyk
United States
Raynham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lasers!
badge
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
houjix1138 wrote:
I would just assume you continue until someone is at zero.

I would assume this as well; specifically, since the rules make no mention of shuffling the "Scrap Heap", I would NOT do so (it contains cards that were explicitly "removed from the game", so I don't think they belong back in the game).

If you manage to empty the Trade Deck without the game ending, I would think players would have to continue using whatever is in their personal decks, until someone's Authority reaches zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vito Gesualdi
msg tools
mbmb
Hey guys, Star Realms community manager Vito Gesualdi here!

Yes, it is extremely unlikely that the trade deck would run out before a match finishes (especially as we add expansions to the game!). However, if this does somehow happen, continue playing with your decks but ignoring the now empty trade row until a winner is determined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Daignault
United States
minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for the answer.

How about deck construction? How do you decide on which cards to have in the game? I kickstarted the game with a bunch of boosters, so I have a lot of cards. Do I just use them randomly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doctorb wrote:
Great, thanks for the answer.

How about deck construction? How do you decide on which cards to have in the game? I kickstarted the game with a bunch of boosters, so I have a lot of cards. Do I just use them randomly?

There are no boosters. Each box is a self-contained 2 player deck builder. You shuffle up the the 80 card main deck which excludes the 20 starter cards and the 10 explorers. You can add the promo set of 12 cards and the Kickstarter exclusive cards to the main deck if you have them.

To expand the game beyond two players, you add another whole deck. For each deck you add, it adds slots for up to two players to the game.

Gambit cards and the boss cards are never part of the main deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connelly
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Okay, I must be *very* confused. I have the Kickstarter version. I understand a basic 2 player game can be played using this, each with their own predetermined starting cards and sharing the deck for the game. If any additional cards are included, they are likewise shared in the play deck.

What confuses me is why this is called a Deck Building Game. While it is true you "build" your deck by buying cards from the trade row, that doesn't feel like deck building to me, and is too dependent on luck. It's not like Magic, where I build a deck BEFORE the game and know what cards I'll be drawing. In Star Realms I'm SHARING a common deck and counting on buying what I need as I go, every time. Right? If so, the whole strategy is on buying what happens to show up in the trade row, which really doesn't appeal to me. Also it's too abstract, doesn't feel spacey at all.

I also notice people talk about working with specific factions - but since we can't build our own custom decks ahead of time (boo), I assume this means you would just buy cards of your preferred faction as they become available in the trade row? Or am I missing something?

Thanks for any replies. I know this game is popular (I have it but haven't played it), but I feel like I'm missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Ryan
Australia
Richlands
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In short, yes, you're missing something.

Think of Magic The Gathering, Android Netrunner and other CCGs and LCGs are "deck construction" games. You construct/build your decks before the game starts. For those people into such things, constructing one's deck is often regarded as a large part of the fun of the game as a whole. Once you start playing the game proper, your deck is more-or-less fixed in content to whatever you brought into it.

Dominion, Thunderstone, Nightfall, Ascension etc and Star Realms are (commonly known as) "deck building" games. Magic was commonly known as a deck building game back in the day, but the term has rather shifted since Dominion appeared on the scene and other games have built on what Dominion popularised. In these games, all players (tend to) start with a small deck of less-useful cards (usually the same decks as each other player), and then during the course of the game they build their custom decks up by purchasing cards that become available from (usually) a central pool of common cards. As the game progresses and their decks grow, they apply the effects of their purchased cards in order to improve their position (gaining victory points, crushing the opposition etc).

Star Realms (based on the above) is a deck building game, not a deck construction game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connelly
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Ahh, thank you very much Leigh! That does clear up my confusion; my terminology was outdated, as well as not keeping up with the other games you mentioned. I'll give this a try

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Ryan
Australia
Richlands
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wish as a hobby we could sort out a 'proper' use of terminologies for games like these, because using "deck building" to (correctly) describe two very different types of games can obviously get quite confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never heard of Magic (or any CCG/LCG) referred to as a deck building game, and I started playing CCGs with Magic 20 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.