Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Eaton
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Previous Sessions.

1: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1084512/will-this-be-the...

2: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1090672/fat-goblin-2-gan...

Rules mistake from last session: I should not have used the Giant as my open group because his trait symbol didn’t match the scenario pre-requisites.

Rules question from last session: A hero carrying the health potion (which restores all health) was adjacent to a downed hero. I allowed the hero to administer the potion as a combined revive hero action – allowing the downed hero to stand up with full health (but maxed out stamina). I suspect I got this wrong, but I was feeling generous.

Session 3: Gold Digger

With the threat of another performance of the Wobbly Goblin Dance looming large should I win again, the heroes were hell bent on finding a victory from somewhere. Leoric was poring over a set of condition cards to work out the best use for his new Runic sorcery skill, Fairwood was looking forward to shooting arrows through a defensive wall of allies and Ashrian was checking out places on the map that might prove comfortable for a lie down.

This seems an interesting encounter, and one that appears to favour me considering the ease with which I had been knocking the heroes down so far. In structure it is similar to the previous encounter in A Fat Goblin: stop the enemy from carrying out something that’s going to take a bit of time to uncover. In this instance a prize relic rather than a west country shadow binder (well, that’s what they sound like in this house, anyway). But this time there is a bigger map with more ground to cover, more tactical options, Overlord reinforcements and a proper dragon.

Basically, my job seems to be to get the hurt on quickly so I can either tie the heroes up (literally), or get the relic off the map with little to stop me. I also need to hold the party up for long enough for Valyndra to smoke the miners and reveal the relic while in her invulnerable shadow form before she gets challenged and thus open to damage. For the heroes it is simply a matter of getting to the stream as quickly as possible to summon Valyndra so that the assault on the dragon can get started.

I went for a proxied beastmen group to hold the crossroads, hoping to get them back into the action quickly when reinforcing, and a merriod to act both as wingman for the dragon and a creature of substance to carry the relic once discovered. This way the party will not be able to concentrate on Valyndra as they would if she tries to carry the thing out herself.

At first it all seemed to be going my way to the point that I started practising a few new dance moves. My beastmen worked well, chipping away at the heroes who seemed to have difficulty in coordinating their attack to take down more than one beastman in a turn. My job was made simpler by the fact that I only had to defend one of the two approaches to Valyndra’s position, as the heroes had written off the idea of moving boulders aside with their less than stellar might ratings.

Respawning beastmen, burning heroes in the scorched fields, 3 dead miners and already a downed Leoric and a downed and tied up Ashrian - I was halfway to the stereo to get my backing track sorted out – unfortunately this proved the highwater mark of my fortunes.

Fairwood untied Ashrian’s knots to allow the revived healer to skip past the defenders and run to the stream, where she summoned Valyndra just as the dragon was about to deconstruct the last miner. Leoric started putting annoying conditions on my merriod, immobilising him and keeping him from offering close support to the fiery lieutenant. Meanwhile Fairwood raced along in support, dodging tripwires and pit traps with ease.

I still felt I had the game in hand: Valyndra knocked down Ashrian, who is getting so used to spending half the game unconscious she brings her own pillow, and I had a massive hand of Overlord cards with which to pound the heroes. With Ashrian down and Fairwood only one health away from being the same it was only Leoric who remained relatively healthy.

I thought I would take care of this with a battering from the merriod. I played every card I could, including a frenzied attack (he had only one health left so I thought he should go out with a bang). He had four attacks against Leoric . . . and hardly scratched him. Leoric's ability to reduce damage and his new leather armour kept him completely insulated. To add insult to injury Fairwood too managed to avoid being downed by an insipid attack from Valyndra and all of a sudden, from looking like I’d have all three of them down at once with the beastmen dashing up with the rope, I had the dragon facing two heroes on her own.

Fairwood took the first bite, leaving the Wyrm Queen with four health, and so it was Leoric again, as in the last encounter, who had the chance to end the game before I could regroup. This time there was no mistake as his arcane bolts plunged through the dragon’s weakest point and grounded her.

And so I was faced by an attack from my daughter, aware that presents were already bought, performing her new Happy Goblin Dance, in my face, for what seemed like an eternity.

The heroes haul away from the scene 50 gold richer, and, more to the point, arguing over who is going to wear the ridiculously sturdy piece of armour. It will make whoever wears it pretty much impossible to knock down, by adding a black die to the hero’s grey defence die and a once per turn brown die as well.

They’re still singing now.

Ouch!

This definitely feels like a turning point in the campaign as the heroes gain relative power faster than the Overlord, and that armour is huge. A big psychological boost as well, as the encounter proved that no matter how bad it looks for the heroes, they can really bounce back quickly. Bodes well for the family’s continuing enthusiasm to play, which is no bad thing.

Mind you, I did not play as well as I could. I should have done more to block the heroes’ advance, but I overestimated Valyndra’s strength and also the strength of my position. Really interesting encounter though, and would love to play it again, and nice to play on a big map.

Next time (Boxing Day I suspect) we’re back in the main campaign and Death on the Wing. I think I’ll need to stay off the sherry for that one.

next session: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1092938/death-on-the-win...

(edited for links, grammar and syntax)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You played the Health Potion correctly. In fact, that is probably one of the most common uses for the Health Potion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eaton
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks Darren - it certainly felt the right thing to do - like most things where there might be room in the rules for misinterpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.