Subject: Variant Rules submitted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Trowbridge
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just submitted two files containing Variant rules (House rules, that is) for Jackson’s Shenandoah Valley Campaign. Too wordy for a direct post, I submitted them in the "Files" area. Both are motivated by what I regard as serious (but fixable) problems with the game. Briefly they are:

1. Variant Victory Conditions for the Cross Keys scenario: Unless there is a major undisclosed typo, the official victory conditions motivate the CSA to conduct an immediate withdrawal from the map, conducting a rearguard action as cheaply and efficiently as possible. The USA is motivated to attack all out regardless of losses (Burnside? Grant?). The trouble is that these are not the historical motivations of the leaders. Consequently if a player plays to the victory conditions, the game will not come out at all like history. Yet with this game system, it can generate a reasonable approximation of history (if you don't look too closely at the details - but that's not at issue right here). The Variant victory conditions (a little too elaborate, maybe) try to roughly reproduce the motivations of the two leaders in this battle.

2. Variant Leader Rules. The official leader rules, at least as literally interpreted (if possibly not as intended) allow some very unhistorical delaying tactics using lone leaders. These rules are an attempt to eliminate that effect. It also fills in some apparent minor gaps in the official rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
E_T_Lee wrote:
Both are motivated by what I regard as serious (but fixable) problems with the game.

Appreciate your efforts Lee, but I have to say that I no longer attempt to play any DG magazine game because they are almost always half-baked (and in some cases, outright disasters).

I'm letting my subscriptions lapse because I am so fatigued with having to pay to - in essence - be a playtester/developer for DG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monty Jasper
United States
Sandusky
Ohio
flag msg tools
Dash Ptolemy Dog
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks. I will try the rules out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.