Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin E
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between the third and fourth edition of this game. As i have both sealed sitting on my table right now lol.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the 3rd, and bought and played the 4th for/with my nieces. I recommend the 3rd, actually. It comes with the "dive" dice and dolphins, which you can add in to make the game slightly more complex, if you like. After that (and correct me if I am wrong), the main differences are art, and the tiles in the 4th are color coded to type.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The basic game is the same.

3rd edition, which is the first reprint, includes some extra stuffs like dolphins and two "dive dice" because it's tries to include the original "Survive!" game and the Europe version "Escape from the Atlantis" game.

4th edition, which is the 30th anniversary reprint, does not includes the bits mentioned above, but it has better art design and better meeple (which is plastic as opposed to wood). You can purchase the dolphins and dive dice as small expansion.

Both version comes with small expansions like the Squid expansion (no essential) and 5-6 players expansion (essential if you have a bigger group)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Villars
Switzerland
Eschlikon
flag msg tools
mb
eunoia wrote:
4th edition, which is the 30th anniversary reprint, does not includes the bits mentioned above, but it has better art design and better meeple (which is plastic as opposed to wood).

hmmm, generally, I prefer wood to plastic... by far! I have the 3rd edition and I love the quality of the components.

Can't tell you about 4th because I don't have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Phantom07 wrote:
eunoia wrote:
4th edition, which is the 30th anniversary reprint, does not includes the bits mentioned above, but it has better art design and better meeple (which is plastic as opposed to wood).

hmmm, generally, I prefer wood to plastic... by far! I have the 3rd edition and I love the quality of the components.

Can't tell you about 4th because I don't have it.

Well, I prefer wood to plastic myself, but the wooden meeple came with some problem like miscut, smudges...etc, which could affect gameplay. And the 3rd edition's whales have really thin tails which broke off for some of the copies.

The good news is, the 5-6 player expansion actually came with 6 full sets of plastic meeples to replace the wooden ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
I have the 3rd, and bought and played the 4th for/with my nieces. I recommend the 3rd, actually. It comes with the "dive" dice and dolphins, which you can add in to make the game slightly more complex, if you like. After that (and correct me if I am wrong), the main differences are art, and the tiles in the 4th are color coded to type.

Hope that helps.

"3rd edition" (Stronghold Games 'blue box') had an MSRP of $49.95.

"4th edition" (Stronghold Games 'yellow/30th Anniversary Edition) has an MSRP of $39.95. This edition removes the Dolphins and the Dive Dice, adds a components tray, and greatly refreshes all the artwork in the game. Meeples were changed to plastic, so that they would be indistinguishable from each other (as wood is natural, and you may see wood grain on some meeples in the '3rd edition').

For MSRP 9.95, you can add the "Survive: Dolphins & Dive Dice" mini-expansion, which adds back the Dolphins and Blue Dive Dice, and also in fact provides an engraved red Creature Die for use in the game (that was our little gift to the fans of the game).

And of course, as stated by others you can also add:
- "Survive: The Giant Squid" (adds Giant Squids into the game): MSRP = $5.95
- "Survive: 5-6 Player mini-expansion) (adds two more sets of Meeples to play with up to 6 players): MSRP $9.95

And I am sure there will be more to come for the great game of "Survive: Escape From Atlantis!"...

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin E
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Pres!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have the rules been revised/rewritten for the 4th edition? I have the 3rd edition, and for such a simple game I found the rules kind of hard to read through and reference the first play through. EDIT: never mind, I see the rules are in the files section...and yes, they are a big improvement over the ones in 3rd edition!

Also...can the 6 player expansion and the giant squid expansion be used with the 3rd edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone knows if the Stronghold 3rd edition is OOP now as it has been replaced with the new 4th edition?

Cheers

EDIT: Ok, it's OOP, as confirmed by Stephen himself through e-mail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.