Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a circumstance where I would like to clarify what is meant by "As evenly as possible".

I'm getting better at using Government troops to my advantage as the Coalition player...but this leaves a lot of police sitting at Kabul. If the Government then trains at Kabul, which in my particular instance had 5 police and no troops (and the Taliban capability to train only 4 cubes max is in play), training "as evenly as possible" could mean placing 4 troops to make it closer to being balanced, or it could mean 2 troops and 2 police, meaning the space will have 2 troops and 7 police and be pretty lopsided.

I have historically played that it would be 2-2 regardless of situation, as long as there were enough police/troop cubes available (or 3-3 if the Taliban "Train 4" capability is not in play)...but with the asymmetry I am seeing in the space, I am starting to second-guess that. Should I be taking into account the balance between troops and police in the space in the "as evenly as possible" clause?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always played it 2-2 like yourself - those cops can be redeployed at the prop card to keep control of areas taken by their troops. Also, from a sweep /assault point of view, there is no difference in Kabul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Nathan,

Ditto. I've always interpreted "evenly" for the Non-Player Government Train Op to refer to the newly added Police/Troops, not those already there. Sure, it may create some odd situation in the Train space, but that's what happens with the Non-Player Government bot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks; I thought that was right, but just wanted a sanity check to make sure I wasn't the only one who interpreted it that way I appreciate it!

(BTW, I lost that Solo game...I think the "Main" scenario is quite tough for the Coalition, or at least you can't use the same tactics as with the Long scenario...the Taliban starts in a much stronger position than the Long scenario. I will need to adjust my play accordingly...

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Sam. As stated above, you are doing "Place or remove friendly Police and Troops evenly, Police first" right: you draw them from available and place them evenly, regardless of the mix already there.

Note by the way that, as also noted above, this placement is different than the "spread" instruction of 8.6.7 Redeploy, when what pieces are already in a space does matter:

Quote:
Ensure COIN Control of Kabul (without losing other Control, 8.1.2), then keep Government Troops spread evenly (6.5.2). Redeploy Police (6.5.3) to maintain Control (such as where Troops left), then to have 2 Police on each 3- and 4- Econ LoC, spread as evenly as possible among Provinces and Kabul.

Thanks for the readout!

Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laufle
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
designer
I enjoy games about Stalingrad
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this hold true for 8.1.2 second bullet as well?
"Police then Troops evenly"
Example: if a space has 1 police and 3 troops during desertion, the police will always be removed by a non-player govt. rather than try to maintain parity and remove a troop?

I've noticed this tends to leave the board with far more troops than police in a solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Can be a pain for a solo Coalition player, to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.