Subject: Eclipse Holiday Special 2013 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again, we'd like to express our gratitude for your continuing support for Eclipse. Thank you all for your enthusiasm and contributions!

It's been a long and demanding year, even for the Elders of the Solstice. As mighty and powerful they are, they still occasionally need assistance from their helpers -- the Minions of the Solstice.

The Minions are available for download here:
- Rules and components PDF

Good gaming for the upcoming year!
Touko & Sampo

-----
Eclipse Holiday Special 2013:
Minions of the Solstice

When the galaxy grows cold and the stars seem dim, the Elders of the Solstice are rumored to return from the deep void. But there are also those who roam the worlds before them – the Minions of the Solstice. Suddenly omnipresent in the depths of space, the Minions watch over the galaxy and its inhabitants. Only the humblest are deemed worthy of their help...

Player materials:
4 Minion Ambassador Tiles

Preparations:
Place the Minion Ambassador Tiles in the Supply.

Rules:
During Action Phase, before you take an action, you may take one Minion Ambassador Tile, pay its cost and place it on an empty Ambassador slot on your Reputation Track. The tiles are paid by returning Reputation Tiles from your Reputation Track back to the bag. You may return one or more Reputation Tiles, whose total VP value must be at least equal to the Minion Ambassador Tile cost. The Minion Ambassador Tiles cannot be removed from the Reputation Track.

Colony Leader:
You must immediately place 1 Population cube on the tile. Worth 2VP at the end of the game.

Logistics Overseer:
You must immediately place 2 Population cubes on the tile.

Scientific Advisor:
You have a -1 Science discount for every subsequent Technology research (minimum value still applies). Worth 1VP at the end of the game.

Senior Ambassador:
You must immediately place one Influence Disc on the tile. The disc stays on the tile until the end of the game. Worth 5VP at the end of the game.
  • [+] Dice rolls
COAT Christophe
France
Plouvorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st !

And it's really time for me to print and play these Elders of the Solstice...

Thanks, and have a nice holidays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!! This is very nice, particularly for those of us who play 3p often and would like to make use of the Ambassador Slots on the board!!

But you are three days late for the solstice, it was on the 21st!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Immonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
"Ain't nothing to it / microbadge made me do it"
badge
"Move the Pawn, Luke"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the new Holiday Special!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lacey
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This addition is clever enough I'm almost tempted to print out the Elders themselves.

Question, I assume these ambassadors only work for the Elders race?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
TGCRequiem wrote:

For everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lacey
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilgore wrote:
TGCRequiem wrote:

For everyone.

So these 4 are all available to compete over? Each race doesn't get their own set of 4?

I'm hoping its the first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
TGCRequiem wrote:
[q="kilgore"]So these 4 are all available to compete over?

Yes, just these four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm ... you spend reputation tiles to get the minions, which you only get through fighting, and for some you might spend more than one tile, which only encourages more fighting to replace the lost tiles. These Minions really must like warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gem Abed
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these are a neat little expansion. I'm curious if you all play tested these first. The pay one VP reputation tile to get five VP for a action marker is a great deal. Much better than the ones you pay more for. It's like a free sector that can't be taken away from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kraasn wrote:
I'm curious if you all play tested these first. The pay one VP reputation tile to get five VP for a action marker is a great deal. Much better than the ones you pay more for. It's like a free sector that can't be taken away from you.

Yes, but the question is: when is it a great deal to buy it?

It is an excellent deal on turn 9 before battles, when you still have a 1VP Reputation Tile, which you are sure to replace anyway --- but it is a bad deal on turn 3, because you will have sacrificed 7 actions at endgame. Take it too early, you will lose on it. Wait too long, someone else will snatch it from you.

It seems like something that doesn't need that much playtesting, because it is self-regulating ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roeland
Belgium
Gent
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
flying_neko wrote:
kraasn wrote:
I'm curious if you all play tested these first. The pay one VP reputation tile to get five VP for a action marker is a great deal. Much better than the ones you pay more for. It's like a free sector that can't be taken away from you.

It is an excellent deal on turn 9 before battles, when you still have a 1VP Reputation Tile, which you are sure to replace anyway --- but it is a bad deal on turn 3, because you will have sacrificed 7 actions at endgame. Take it too early, you will lose on it. Wait too long, someone else will snatch it from you.

It seems like something that doesn't need that much playtesting, because it is self-regulating

What he said
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stoked to try this out! Thanks for putting together another holiday PnP - love these!

I actually wondered if the cheaper science is not a little overpowered especially if Hydran can snag it... the rest look good. I guess we'll see after playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gem Abed
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:
kraasn wrote:

It seems like something that doesn't need that much playtesting, because it is self-regulating

What do you mean sacrificed 7 actions? No one can snatch it from you. They can't be removed from any reputation track. Did you mean someone will buy it before you do? If so, that's no different than purchasing technology. Reading your comments I fail to see the points you're trying to make. I still think a 1 VP swap for 5 VP is huge. It is literally a planet more valuable than the galactic center in VP. It just lacks resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gem Abed
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong, I think this is a cool micro expansion. However, I don't see how it's balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kraasn wrote:
What do you mean sacrificed 7 actions?

You have to put an action disk there. The action disk stays there until the end of the game, and you have to pay for it each turn. So, on each turn, you will be doing one action less (or you will have to bankrupt one of your hexes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Tychy
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kraasn wrote:
flying_neko wrote:
kraasn wrote:

What do you mean sacrificed 7 actions? No one can snatch it from you. They can't be removed from any reputation track. Did you mean someone will buy it before you do? If so, that's no different than purchasing technology. Reading your comments I fail to see the points you're trying to make. I still think a 1 VP swap for 5 VP is huge. It is literally a planet more valuable than the galactic center in VP. It just lacks resources.

Just lacks resources? It's not just.
Disc not only can give you points at the end of the game for controlling a hex, but it also gives you an action every round and that is what you sacrifice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radziol wrote:

Just lacks resources? It's not just.
Disc not only can give you points at the end of the game for controlling a hex, but it also gives you an action every round and that is what you sacrifice.

Plus, you use up one slot on your reputation track. All in all, it is probably worth around 3VP, maybe 4VP in games with many players. I would probably take it around Turn 7 or 8, I guess.

The other ones I'd try to get ASAP. The one where you can put two cubes looks particularly appealing if you can get your hands on it on turn 2 or 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the simplicity of this mechanic that has so many layers underneath.

Think those Hydrans are going to get that science discount? Well you better get it first. Wait, how do I get it? By discarding reputation. So I need reputation. So I need ships and somewhere to fight! Wait, I think he's about to buy it and I only have a 3 VP tile in hand. Do I give it up to stop him? How do I make sure I can get it first?

So simple, but so DEEP. Love it. Now I need to have a big game using ALL the holiday expansions together!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jannis Christus
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nice expnsion but i think that the eridani will get a huge benefit in round one, due to having reputation tiles from the very beginning.they get for sure the science minion and probablly the 2 cubes minion and thus have an even better start.

maybe add a specific rule for the eridani. i think to only allow them to pay reputation cards got in combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe. But you really think Eridani couldn't use a little boost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Tychy
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
assur wrote:
nice expnsion but i think that the eridani will get a huge benefit in round one, due to having reputation tiles from the very beginning.they get for sure the science minion and probablly the 2 cubes minion and thus have an even better start.

maybe add a specific rule for the eridani. i think to only allow them to pay reputation cards got in combat.

You know, I've seen many people here considering Eridani to be one of the weakest races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Locke Balenska
msg tools
Radziol wrote:
assur wrote:

You know, I've seen many people here considering Eridani to be one of the weakest races.

There are indeed a lot of people who consider Eridani weaker, but there's also been a lot of session reports of RotA games where the Eridani used mining fleet to build two plasma-cannon dreadnaughts and take the GC in 1 turn, or where they used research fleet to get quantum grid immediately. So opinions are varied.

In any case, even if an Eridani player takes quantum grid and the logistics elf at the start, it's all the more reason to gang up on them in true holiday fashion, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eridani are relatively weak race in the base game, at least in the hands of a player who is not very expert. In the hands of a good player they may be comparable in strength to Terrans at best.

They do get a boost from RotA if the right Developments are drawn, and would get yet another advantage from this holiday expansion. Using both they may become as strong as Hydran, Orion or Magellan, but I don't think they'd be stronger than those. We'll have to try it! Sadly, my next game will likely be about two months from now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Got these printed out and ready to go for tonight! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.