Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Pearsons
United States
Western Massachusetts
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty obsessed with sleeving any and all cards, especially because I run a middle school board games club. So this is a little over the top but someone might appreciate it. First I sleeved the five cards in standard fantasy flight card sleeves, then I put the sleeved cards in Ultra Pro 3x4 Premium Top loader hard plastic sleeves. I've done this with Love Letter, Coup, The Resistace and Werewolf. A little overkill but it keeps the cards mint even when children use them a lot.

Anyways you still have the problem others have mentioned about seeing the direction of the card... My solution was to put colored card sleeves (red) in another hard plastic sleeve. Using two per hard plastic shell to cover the top and bottom of the hard plastic card sleeve. Now you really cannot discern the direction of the card, especially if you also put your hand over your played card which is now covered by A LOT of card sleeves...

Since the kickstarter only allowed the purchase of one set of cards I figure others might want to go all out to protect their one and only set.

Side Note: My copy arrived on Monday. Now that is fast! Somebody, somewhere, deserves a medal for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy VanSchalkwyk
United States
Raynham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lasers!
badge
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of sleeving this too (as you said, it is my "one and only copy"!)... but I hadn't even considered the fact that the direction of the card matters, and you can see what end of the card is which, via the sleeve.

So, I think I like your idea, but I am not certain I understand it right: you put the card into a standard (soft) sleeve, then put that into a hard sleeve... then put TWO red-backed sleeves OVER the hard sleeve, one at each end (to cover up which end of the hard-sleeve is open)... do I have that right?

That sounds like... well, an awful lot of sleeves, but perhaps it would be worth it (plus, it is only 5 cards!)! (then again, perhaps I should play this at least once before I worry about sleeving it! )

Now I just need a rules write-up that is card-sized, so I don't need the bag it came in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Pearsons
United States
Western Massachusetts
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two red backed soft sleeves go in the hard plastic sleeve you will use to lay over your "played" card. The hard plastic sleeve will hold them in place, thus you can cover the whole of the clear plastic (why you need two...), not just the "standard card size" which gives away the direction. I suppose you could alternatively cut a slip of paper and just put that over the cards, or you could cut a slip of paper to totally fill the hard plastic sleeve. That would produce the same effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
You should start carrying one of the cards in your shirt pocket, in case someone makes an assassination attempt on your life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Pearsons
United States
Western Massachusetts
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would bet it could stop a bullet, but an excited middle school kid could still smash through it no problem...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chao
msg tools
Also trying to figure out how to protect the Where Art Thou Romeo? cards. Don't the toploaders have an open top? I would imagine players would be able to tell the potential orientation from that.

Maybe screwdowns would be an option? http://www.ultrapro.com/product_info.php?products_id=811

Sacrificing portability, but with 3x4 toploaders it's not quite portable anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Pearsons
United States
Western Massachusetts
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The hard plastic sleeves do have an identifiable top, but when you put another one over your played card that is totally covered you cannot tell what the bottom one is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kosongz Toh
Malaysia
Borneo Island
Sarawak
flag msg tools
You have to learn the rules of the game.
badge
And then you have to play better than anyone else.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you given thoughts to scanning and printing them out, then laminating them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.