Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick McDonald
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Here is what I've come up with so far...

I'm really new to the game, so I would love all the advice I can get.

=Independent Flagship (Rom Card)=
Gor Portas
-Khan Singh
-Captured Intelligence
-Joachin
-Energy Dissipator
-Photon Torpedoes
-Doreal Weapons Array

Breen Battle Cruiser
-Gul Dukat
-Boheeka
-Energy Dissipator
-Photon Torpedoes

Admiral's Orders
-Strike Force
-United Force
(For the sake of the tournament that I'll be playing in, when using the independent flagship card, the ship becomes dual faction and independent cards work with United.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that you're using two Breen ships- not many people will expect that, and it should give you some more maneuverability than the Dominion tends to see.

The flagship you're using gives a free action battle stations, correct? That should synergize well with the boost to attack overall that the Gor Portas sees here. Your torpedoes shouldn't be used at close range because your primary weapon can produce the same amount of damage due to range bonuses. Dorsal Weapons Array is decent for out-of-arc attacks, and the use of Joachim is nice with Khan. If you'd like a bit of a cheaper alternative, you could put a Breen Aide on the Gor Portas instead and take a scan with your ship action after acquiring target lock. Combined with battle stations, this produces a very effective way to hit reliably with most of your dice, while de-buffing your opponent's defense. This is even better when you consider that a lot of ships only get one defense die from a torpedo because no bonuses apply like with primary weapons, which with scan means they have no way to mitigate damage with defense dice at all.

It also frees up two more points, which I'd recommend putting into upgrading the second battle cruiser to a Koranak. The thing won't fly in formation as well but hits like a truck with Dukat and Boheeka on board. You could drop the Dissipator and the torpedoes to run that with any number of myriad upgrades- Tetryon Emissions, Cloaking Device, a Dorsal Weapons Array, all of which you will have the action economy with Dukat to reasonably maintain. Only gets better when you add in Martok, and he's out of faction and thus ineligible for this list. Also, Dukat doesn't quite fix the action economy involved with the Photon Torpedoes and Energy Dissipator both wanting to be re-enabled, AND a new target lock once the torpedoes are gone too.

With all the free action economy, it's tough psychologically to take red maneuvers, but sometimes they'll be necessary. If you're like me, you don't need more incentive to botch your maneuvering. Don't fly quite as aggressive as Klingons- try and force them to over extend coming to you, and hit them out of arc with a Dissipator for lots of dice. You can then follow up with Dukat, walloping them for 5 super accurate battle stations attack dice.

Most importantly, feel free to disregard me entirely if you feel like you anticipated the things I've outlined above, and have reason to go with your list as is. You may find that I lack the perspective for your local meta-game, as well as insight into your personal play style. As an interesting aside, it's fascinating how these pockets of players form around local gaming stores and how the meta-game can swing wildly between them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Zilla
msg tools
Gor Portas doesn't have battle stations on it's action bar, so if that flagship card grants battle stations it won't be free, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kitchin
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This won't work for United Force, but two Keldons with Engage and Cloaking Device (for the Sensor Echo more than for the defense dice) could do a lot of mischief by maneuvering very rapidly and abusing their 180 degree firing arc to move parallel to the enemy.

Or you could skip Engage to meet the United Force requirements in January. Operating without Engage is riskier, but 4 Banks plus Sensor Echos could still get you parallel to the enemy pretty quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.