Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Bakke
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it has been ruled that Orbital Weapons Platforms and Planetary Defense Tokens are "ships", could the Energy Dissipator be used to shut them down for a turn and prevent them from firing on friendly ships? The idea here is a for a Dominion fleet to open up a clear lane of fire vs Star Fleet HQ in OP4 events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine you could use the Energy Dissipator to hit them, yes. There's no reason they can't be targeted by any other attack, either Primary Weapon or secondaries such as Forward Weapons Grid.

I don't have the text of the Dissipator in front of me, but I believe it allows you to make an additional attack, but you have to target the platform. So no following up with an attack that's directed at SFHQ only, although Forward Weapons Grid and the Koranak ability would allow you to fire at the same platform and another as one attack. Other possible exceptions include the Ferengi Missile Launchers, and the use of Once More Unto the Breach in order to make two attacks- I don't see any restriction on following up a Dissipator with that, and picking a second target, although it would be expensive and unwieldy.

EDIT: Probably a good idea to bring this up in the FAQ. It's a very interesting nut to crack in terms of the repercussions. EDT is one of those rarely seen effects, at least around here, so I imagine my interpretation could be fuzzy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bakke
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Energy Dissipator allows you to make another attack against the same ship if the initial shot hits. But, since the OWP/PDT rules in the OP events normally say that they can't be destroyed, that secondary attack is meaningless. What I'm looking to do is to get the effect of the EDT in shutting down the target for a turn and not letting it fire at my other ships that would be attacking Star Fleet HQ. In the OP4 rules, the OWP/PDT only fires at ships that have attacked SFHQ that turn. They won't fire back purely in their own self-defense. So, one could theoretically mosey in to Range 1 safely, disable the OWP/PDT, and blast away at SFHQ for one turn with no retribution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the ED can disable the PDT. As per the FAQ, the PDT would remove the EDT during the following Activation Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
Yes, the ED can disable the PDT. As per the FAQ, the PDT would remove the EDT during the following Activation Phase.

I'd be curious about a technical explanation for this - There's 4 PDTs, which make one aggregate attack. (Which doesn't specify which PDT it actually comes from.) Does shutting down one PDT with an ED shut down the entire network, or just remove those particular dice from the retaliation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
It shuts down that particular PDT, so it is no longer contributing to the network. If that was the only PDT within range, then you don't get attacked at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
It shuts down that particular PDT, so it is no longer contributing to the network. If that was the only PDT within range, then you don't get attacked at all.

What if it's the nearest PDT in range? Does the attack come from the next closest PDT, possibly at range 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
Andrew Parks wrote:

What if it's the nearest PDT in range? Does the attack come from the next closest PDT, possibly at range 3?

The attacks come from ALL PDT's in range 2. If there was no active PDT within range 2, then you wouldn't get counter attacked. If more than one are in range, they will all attack simultaneously (pooling their dice together).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
Andrew Parks wrote:

The PDT's only fire at range 1-2, your question is invalid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bakke
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:

As usual, thanks for the quick response. I can smell some Dominion jank coming in my OP4 fleet build... lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:
davedujour wrote:
Andrew Parks wrote:

The PDT's only fire at range 1-2, your question is invalid

Derp. gulp

And since the PDTs are considered secondary weapons the range 1 modifiers wouldn't matter either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.