Subject: In Search of... Card Storage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still looking for a decent, organized method for storing my LCG cards.

Currently, I'm doing the 9-pocket binder thing for aGoT, and long deckboxes for ANR. Both are...adequate, I guess, but not quite what I'm looking for. It may just be my perception of the problem, but it just feels 'messy'- core boxes here, a binder there, some long boxes over there, deluxe sets in yet another box.

That's why I was really excited when I heard about the go7gaming kickstarter, especially the LCG inserts. I could keep all the cards together in one coreset box, and have a few deck boxes in which to keep my current decks for ease of transport.

Then I read http://go7gaming.com/sleeving-cards-our-inserts/, and found that the FFG sleeves I use (and I have a LOT of them) won't quite fit. With heavy heart, I canceled my pledge and continue to look.

I've found some other good threads about the topic:
How do you organize your card storage?
Best Way to Organize and Store Android Netrunner

Which have given me some good ideas, and I think for now I'll just stick to my long deckboxes, maybe finding some that fit within the core at my FLGS.

I did find a link to the http://www.thebrokentoken.com/, and they have an insert that will work with sleeved cards. I'll keep my eye on that, but for now, the search continues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ringworm wrote:
It may just be my perception of the problem, but it just feels 'messy'- core boxes here, a binder there, some long boxes over there, deluxe sets in yet another box.

Have you tried flipping the Core Set insert upside down? You double the storage space in it. If you have multiple Core Sets, you can cut the inserts to create 3 rows of storage in one box. You can then use the empty Core Set box for storing extra tokens, Deluxe Expansion boxes, sleeves, Proofs-of-Purchase, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Magic Holiday gift boxes are freaking amazing. 3 rows of vertical card storage. They fit FFG sleeves (which are oversized compared to most other brands) just fine.

To give you an idea of how much they can hold, I store my Commander decks in one of these boxes; each row comfortably holds 4 hundred-card decks sleeved in Ultra Pro pro matte sleeves. They fit just about perfectly; snug but not tight and it's easy to remove them.

The boxes are also a perfect size for sticking in a backpack.

I've actually purchased three of these sets at $20 a piece just for the boxes, and every time I see one at Target I'm sorely tempted to buy more. I wish someone sold boxes like these!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Auken
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted this awhile back, but might be worth mentioning that after a year of using these Stanley toolboxes, I am as happy as ever. I have expanded into two separate boxes one for Corp and one for Runner. This allows me to separate card types within each faction for even easier deck construction.
I carry decks for play in small deck boxes so these are really only used for storage (and easy transport if I will be constructing on the fly at various get together)

Note: I sleeve with FFG sleeves so the bins should accommodate any sleeping option you choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
There's really only one option - binder(s). It's nice, easy and comfortable. But above everything else it has two major features:

A) it's forever extendable (and you need this for lcg)
B) it gives you the power of visual comprehension of your cards

Other solutions are just storage solutions. Binder is not only a storage but also a good enabler. You can rediscover certain cards or build synergies better this way. The quality of my decks skyrocketed once I moved to binders. Now the core ideas are always born when fiddling with binder and online deckbuilders are there to finish the job properly.

If you want to answer the call of board gamer, you will attempt to fit everything into the core box as neatly as possible, but it always be clunky in terms of actual practicality. If you want to answer the call of card player, lose the box and go for binders (and deckboxes with token compartments - for outside games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Binders are a huge hassle putting and taking cards out, and if you sleeve everything then you'll end up with squished sleeves too. But to each their own... I just stick them all in a box, with factional dividers. Currently thunder stone advance expansion box, perfectly sized, not too big.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palpster
Netherlands
Nunspeet
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the go7 storage solutions, but I also sleeve FFG which limits options and international shipping is ....just...wow. The storage solutions will be more costly than the game probably, which isn't what I'm looking for.

So in the meantime, my core boxes with self-inserted lanes of cardboard will have to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is simpler than it looks. Simply do not sleeve your cards. then the go7pro boxes (and similar alternatives) are perfect. It hurts a bit first to unsleeve all your cards...but if you think of it a bit coldly, cards do not get damaged in the box, they take waaay less space, and the box is perfect fit. Also, think of all the money you save in sleeves. You only need 1-2 packs to store your decks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
The answer is simpler than it looks. Simply do not sleeve your cards. then the go7pro boxes (and similar alternatives) are perfect. It hurts a bit first to unsleeve all your cards...but if you think of it a bit coldly, cards do not get damaged in the box, they take waaay less space, and the box is perfect fit. Also, think of all the money you save in sleeves. You only need 1-2 packs to store your decks!

People sleeving all their cards is what you get when board gamers start playing CCGs LCGs. No Magic player sleeves all their cards...

It's completely irrational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:

People sleeving all their cards is what you get when board gamers start playing CCGs LCGs. No Magic player sleeves all their cards...

It's completely irrational.

The only reason for sleeving all my cards is that it is more comfortable to do and undo your decks. However, for Netrunner they ask you to use opaque sleeves (specially with alternate art cards), so not even this reasoning holds.

It took a while, but I think that removing all sleeves was the correct choice. As a bonus, I am now sitting in 2000+ spare sleeves for the next 20 games or so that I buy!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
The only reason for sleeving all my cards is that it is more comfortable to do and undo your decks.

I disagree with this reasoning, for two reasons.

1. It doesn't take that long to sleeve or unsleeve ~50 cards, and it's very fast if you're only swapping out a couple of cards.

2. If every card is always in its own sleeve, then the more frequently used cards are going to have more worn sleeves, and your deck will be marked. It's better to have the same sleeves always be part of the same deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Espinosa
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So the first 10 or so packs of sleeves I bought were the FFG clear sleeves. I like the back design so I thought clear sleeves would be better. After playing a cube with someone else's cards at a local game shop I started to see why people use sleeves like the Ultra Pro Matte. They feel better in hand and also weave together better for shuffling. Plus sleeves like that are required if you want to use any alternate art cards in tournament format. Since I have 3 alt. art Scorched Earth's and an Adonis Campaign I've started buying the Ultra Pros. I figure by the time the Go7Gaming storage ships in March I will be all caught up with replacing my sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynk Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe you should look again at the go7 boxes, the ABS001 actually. The Hobbyland cases are cheap and easy, and really nice. My buddy uses a hobbyland case for another game (Sentinels of the Multiverse) that he has sleeved in FFG sleeves - he has 4 custom rows in that box and it fits just fine. The ABS001 Case has 4 rows, so I would hazard a guess it will be fairly similar.

Alternatively, you can just sleeve your deck and not your /entire/ collection. But thats your choice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Explosive 6
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
For those who like the go7 storage, Mr Craft in the UK has been selling some very similar products here on BGG since Jan 2013. Postage is far more reasonable than the $50 international charge go7 are asking for.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/152772/uk-based-card-s...

The standard series 5 insert is suitable for Netrunner, or the series 6 if you use slightly longer sleeves. (like the FFG ones or Dragonshields for example)

He also donates 3% a month to BGG too. Please note I've not used either of their products, just passing on other options people may not be aware of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies- I'm getting some ideas.

I'm one of those who plays "board game style"- i'm providing the decks to those i can get to play. So, at any given time, I have all the core set cards sleeved, and a smattering of the expansions (I currently have them all).

I have no plans to sleeve EVERYTHING- just those I've been using. I like the idea of swapping sleeves (equal wear, save on buying sleeves), and I've basically been doing that without really thinking about it.

So, my storage would have to store both sleeved and unsleeved, the majority being unsleeved.

I have looked at the ASB01 boxes by go7gaming, and am still considering them. Of course, then I'd have to get another Hobby Lobby box (I have one for X-wing). Being rather pragmantic, at that cost I may as well just buy another game or two instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question for those of you that use the Hobby Lobby boxes…

I'm wavering between the LCG insert or the Hobby Lobby Insert. The HL one looks nice but it's such a large jump up in price. Is it really worth it?

I can see that it's somewhat bigger (also heavier) and has a handle. Does that justify paying nearly triple the price though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS has a 10 slot white cardboard card box that I use for LCGs. They sit down in a stack, and the box comes with holes in the bottom so you can push them out.

I tried looking for a picture but I'm having a hard time. I'll post one when I get home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.