Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably over thinking this:

The idea behind the Midtown Bank Robbery Scheme Twists is that the villains in the Bank are taking hostages. Therefore, when a scheme Twist occurs, those villains currently in the bank capture two bystanders and you then play the top card of the villain deck.

When playing solo, I frequently have NO ONE in the bank. So, when playing a scheme twist, do the bystanders then slide to the next villain closest to the villain deck or get captured by the mastermind, as if you pulled them from the villain deck, or do you just ignore that any bystanders get captured, since no one's in the bank to take them hostage?

(However, you DO still play the next card of the villain deck, following through with the twist directions, right? I think I've been playing this wrong.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're overthinking it bro! the rules are very clear. Any villain in the bank means any villain in the bank. Period. No villain there? No bystanders.

Under normal game rules you never see bystanders by themselves in the city, so that is out. Then the Scheme doesn't say anything about putting bystanders anywhere else if no one is in the bank, so that's out too.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Edit: forgot to add, yes you still play the extra villain card. Devin has said many times that you do everything in order on the cards, if you can't do one thing you move on and do the next and so on until you've gone through the list of effects a card does and completed all that you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If no villains in the bank then skip the "Capture Bystander" part of the scheme twist and just draw another card from the villain deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, figured I was overthinking it.

Thanks, guys and Merry Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
Yeah, figured I was overthinking it.

Thanks, guys and Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you as well! I hope you get some gaming in! I'm going to try to pry my son away from the play station for a board game, but we will see how that goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done what you suggested: I've started using the Legendary Wheel of Fate to randomize the game with A normal solo mode with base game without any fiddling, then write that scheme/set-up down and play it a bunch of times with random heroes. I have a notebook where I've been writing them all down with VP points.

I've gotten in about a dozen solo games in the last few days. (And I'm hoping my wife will be delivering the expansion sets for Christmas.) Still pretty easy to beat, but there have been some close calls. (And I keep forgetting some basic rules sometimes - KOing heroes for scheme twists, etc.

I'll get it down yet. (if I don't second-guess the stuff I already know.)

Highest VP so far: 59
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep a notebook of my games played for all my games. I have gotten quite bad about keeping track this last year because I've been playing so much legendary that I often just forgot to write my stuff down, except my challenges, which I often don't record on here because of their raw state while I'm testing them.

You'd be surprised how even just adding +1 or 2 to a mastermind strength can make them a lot tougher to beat, by the way, if you'd like to try a Simple addition to the difficulty until you get the expansions going. And after that, of course, the weekly challenges provide some home brewed situations to dig into.

The important thing is to have fun, of course. Though my opinion of that is often getting my butt kicked by the Masterminds. I'm a bit strange in that I don't mind losing 50 times to win once, so we all have our gaming quirks, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.