Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B. Marsh
United States
Ammon
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the itch to play a carrier game. I have Flat Top and really enjoy this game and this would be the basis for a comparison. I also have "Scratch One Flat Top!" but I have never played this before. Can anyone suggest another carrier themed game, preferably with a VASSAL module? Before I invest my time in learning a new game system I would like to review the options.

Merry Christmas to all!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Quinn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Carrier. Awesome solitaire carrier game.

Todd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This Memorial Day weekend, do not thank a veteran. Say a prayer of thanks for those in our military who gave their last full measure of devotion, and all their tomorrows, so that we could enjoy today and all OUR tomorrows.
mbmbmbmbmb
Artymorty wrote:

Carrier. Awesome solitaire carrier game.

Todd

thumbsup

What he said!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Because you wanted Flat Top for Comparison as mentioned in your post.

It's an evolution of Flat Top by the same (S. Craig Taylor) designer.

Hard to get now though.

And you just missed it on ebay. Went for $33+ shipping, mint.

It looks like there are a couple (for more money) available in the BGG marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge

Carrier for solo play, Victory at Midway for FtF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
citizen k wrote:

Great game, but not a lot of replayability (just one scenario). If you like the system -- which I definitely do -- then Solomon Sea is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear the shout outs for Carrier as I acquired this earlier this year and have yet to play it but want to soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have CV on the table right now and love it. You'll find, in the file section, an essay I wrote on reconciling the slight differences between FT and CV and the various charts I made to go along with that so you can play both games using the identical system.

FT benefits by having more scenarios, and typically land based air for both sides, so you can more interesting situations. CV benefits, for me, in that I played it first and it's fun to make up "what if" scenarios around Midway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually find that these two are still my favorites:
Midway and Guadalcanal
On the lighter side but still legitimate wargames that are easy to get into. Two of the better Avalon Hill "Smithsonian" titles.

Note that these are both S. Craig Taylor designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
SPI's The Fast Carriers had a very interesting search system. The searchee drew a counter which would say how accurate his report had to be; anything from the absolute truth to pure fiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Ironically, the Smithsonian games and Fast Carriers both have combat problems, but at the opposite end of the spectrum. The Smithsonian games are much too bloody and it's also very easy to find something on the map. I've always wondered if this was because AH was trying get back into the kids market and Craig Taylor was asked to make it quick and exciting.

Fast Carriers had an interesting search system, but the odds-based combat system made it far too difficult for small strikes to sink carriers. It was as if they thought that a ship was sunk by requiring multiple torpedoes to hit the same spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never heard of Fast Carriers. How many scenarios are solo? (And how many scenarios total?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
The best WW2 Pacific carrier game you've never heard of. Designed and developed by M Stumptner, who posted here on this thread.

More details can be found here on the designer's page for this game:

http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/user/mst/games/sol/sol.html

and you can read a review I wrote here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/405152/markus-website-fe...

This game has been out of print for some time, but the designer has continued developing this game, adding scenarios (Wake Island hypothetical, Indian Ocean raids, Midway, and a campaign game to link scenarios) and improving the game for the new edition.

The discussion forum for Solomon Sea can be found at Consimworld.com:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.ee6de2f/0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Favorite of mine.
The Fires of Midway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
gatorskin wrote:
I've never heard of Fast Carriers. How many scenarios are solo? (And how many scenarios total?)

None are solo, like most of these games it is double blind.

I'm pretty sure the only of the games listed that had (optional) solo rules was Victory at Midway (and of course they do take away from the character of the battle).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't resist saying CV!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
M St wrote:
None are solo, like most of these games it is double blind.

Actually, I believe there is one 'Fast Carriers' scenario that is solitaire. It's about the attack on Pearl Harbor and seems to have been intended to teach players the game's tactical combat resolution system. The scenario has no "operational" aspects to it (no searching, no maneuvering TFs, etc), it deals strictly with Japanese air units attacking the immobile USN ships -- I don't even think there are any US aircraft in the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
I think you're right... it's more of a learning scenario than a full one IIRC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe mcgrath
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
DocStryder wrote:
Glad to hear the shout outs for Carrier as I acquired this earlier this year and have yet to play it but want to soon.

Ditto. Taking the plunge over the holiday...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
It is interesting that every carrier game (Midway, Flat Top, CV, Scratch One Flat Top, Incredible Victory, Solomon Sea, AH Guadalcanal & Midway, Carrier Battles, Carrier Strike, Indian Ocean Adventure, White Ensign-Rising Sun, Carrier, Ark Royal, Victory at Midway, some odd Japanese language carrier games) are all out of print, in some cases long out of print.

Flat Top is still relatively easy to find (it was popular, was published by 2 companies and stayed in print for about 15 years); the other games less so.

Fires of Midway is still in print, but doesn't have the tactical level details that Flat Top has. Coral Sea: Campaign Commander Volume II is also recent and still available - I own but have not played this one yet.

All of this is unfortunate, because carrier warfare in the Pacific is a fascinating topic and one that presents a challenge to gamers; they are a nice break from Panzers, ACW and D-Day games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game Second World War at Sea: Midway is an excellent game. Look at the whole Second World War at Sea Series. In my opinion it is the best.

Avalon Hill'sMidway is also another great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Maciw
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WLMIV wrote:
The game Second World War at Sea: Midway is an excellent game. Look at the whole Second World War at Sea Series. In my opinion it is the best.

You could try my solo A.I. For Midway for a quick fix when you have no opponents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
WLMIV wrote:
The game Second World War at Sea: Midway is an excellent game.

I'd say it's not even a realy carrier game - design-wise it's a WWI surface battle game with air operations stuck on top and does the worst job in fog of war among any of its competition. It omits the key question of the carrier admiral - "where do I search".

Quote:

It's the granddaddy of all carrier games. But after almost 50 years, it is really, seriously, out of date, and while it is fascinating to behold the wealth of articles that were written in the GENERAL about it, once I got older and started reading about the history, I also realised that the tactics in the game, while more intricate than any other game on the topic, have no relationship whatsoever to historical air strikes. A classic example where more is less.

Essentially, Victory at Midway does everything that Midway does with the same amount of rules, the same playing time, the same tension, better chrome and much more history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M St wrote:
I think you're right... it's more of a learning scenario than a full one IIRC.

Correct, and the thing you learn is that the combat system can't reproduce history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not agree with that assessment. First of all it is a World War II game, not a World War I surface battle game. Second, there is indeed a search aspect to the game. It is necessary to send out scout planes to find enemy forces. Moreover, just like in the actual battle, one must decide when to send out a squadron in a certain direction and what type of squadron whether dive bombers or torpedo. Moreover, there is the issue of having to recall planes and re-arm them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.