Hide
8 Posts

Terror in Meeple City» Forums » Rules

Subject: Climbing ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Curtis
msg tools
What is the proper way to use the climbing power? Do you place your paws on top of a building and then flick them off? Can you use this to knock meeples off the roof?
Can you do anything else while on top of the building?
This is the one special power that seems ambiguous to me, so any clarification anyone can provide would be much appreciated.
As a side note, this is a great game, surprisingly tactical!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haydukelivesaz wrote:
What is the proper way to use the climbing power? Do you place your paws on top of a building and then flick them off? Can you use this to knock meeples off the roof?
Can you do anything else while on top of the building?
This is the one special power that seems ambiguous to me, so any clarification anyone can provide would be much appreciated.
As a side note, this is a great game, surprisingly tactical!

heh, I was just reading through the rules again and reading the various powers to post here about any of them and thought the same thing about the "climber" power :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Saucier
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
http://kastorskorner.com
badge
Pop Culture Renaissance
mbmbmbmbmb
The power itself is straightforward in that you'd take your paws, put them on the topmost level of a building bordering your neighborhood, and flick it off to move. I would play it that game elements knocked over while flicking for this move (so if you accidentally collapse the building or push meeples off) would result in a lost tooth. It may have been purposely left a bit ambiguous so people can play it however it makes the most sense to their group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dettmar
United States
Ontario
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules say that you can knock over buildings/monsters/meeples during your move. as long as it was the paws that hit the meeples and buildings, and not your hand. I used climber to push all the meeples off the stadium once. seems legit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Curtis
msg tools
I tend to agree with Patrick, you should be allowed to hit meepels, buildings and other monsters with your movement. In fact, I played with this ability for the first time after posting this question and found it to be more useful than I anticipated, as I could attack fellow monsters and scatter some meepeles in the course of my movement. It seemed to work quite well, not overpowered but not as strange and useless as I thought it would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bowlwoman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
InfectionAgenda wrote:
The power itself is straightforward in that you'd take your paws, put them on the topmost level of a building bordering your neighborhood, and flick it off to move.

However, the illustration with the power doesn't show you putting the paws on top of the building, it clearly shows you removing your monster from the top of your paws and placing the monster on top of the building.

If you place your monster on top of a building before you do a move action, the weight of the monster being placed on top might cause the floors to fall/meeples to scatter. If you place the monster on the edge or corner of the building, it can act like a fulcrum and pivot a floor or two off the stack. Plus, you can always squeeze a few meeples out the sides if you place the monster on the right spot along the edge. A lot of it, though, depends on if it's a partially demolished bulding or not, as whole buildings tend to stay up when the monster piece is placed on top, even on an edge or corner.

I think the house rules aspect would come into play on deciding if you're "placing" or "dropping" the monster on top. You get completely different reactions from the floors/meeples if you gently put the monster on top vs if you kinda fling it up on top of the building.

ETA: I talked to the owner of my local gaming/hobby shop about this question tonight, and he said that when the distributors/creators/whomever did a demo of Rampage at Gen Con this year, they said it is supposed to be the monster piece on top of the building, not the paws disk. They also said that they made the rules for it deliberately ambigous so that people have to come up with house rules/variants on how they want to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Fanto
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the contrary ... the illustration shows ur monster WITH the pawn underneath and that flicking hand indicates movement. So we also play it like Patrick has mentioned before. However, I think that just putting the monster on top of a building could be a funny variation too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From another flick through the rules and powers

The glossary of Terms,

Monster: refers to both body and paws.

and Climber states you put your monster on a building before moving.

so you do put you whole monster on the building before removing the body to flick the paws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.