Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We have some print and play stuff up if you want to check out the game for yourself.
Enter the Simulacrum

Update 1/12/2014: Happy New Year everyone! I have some art to show you. Most of it is in the rough still, but I'm really excited about what I'm seeing. I've also been working on the card design/layout some, so scroll down to see the latest on that and let me know what you think.

This piece is from Rob Stilwell. The card is called Power Surge, which enables the player to take damage to gain resources and draw cards. The faction associated with this card is all about some lightning.

This piece is by Andrew Blackburn as are the rest in this update. It's still in the sketch phase, but I like the way it's shaping up. She's a bad ass Avatar ready to dodge bullets and lay the fist to some oversized gladiator looking dudes. Speaking of which...

Yeah, typical fantasy battle fare, but with weapons for arms. Because that's just how Avatars roll.

This guy is definitely a Code Mage, and possibly a Scot. He looks Scottish to me. I bet he's rocking a Kilt. I really like his facial features.

Update 12/30/2013: I've commissioned another artist to do the art for the website. His name is Andrew Blackburn and his art can be found at Blackburn Art. Both artists are extremely talented and I'm looking forward to working them. Can't wait to show everyone what they're working on.

Update 12/29/2013: I have found a very talented artist to collaborate on this project with me. His name is Odysseas Stamoglou and you can visit his website to see some of his current work at Odysseus Art. I hope to have some of his work up in the near future.

Currently all I have in the way of art are the card design elements. I'm in the process of licensing two images and commissioning a third and have been in contact with several artists I hope to work with on the project. I will update this thread when I get new artwork.

Please leave feedback. The design and art elements are in their infancy so I really welcome your opinions.

Thanks,
Gary Boyd
Tidal Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
OK Art Studio - www.okartstudio.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Code Mage: Source and Sorcery Art Thread
An honest critique:

Image 1:
-Change the typo! Papyrus, or any font who comes free with Windows is a wrong wrong idea. Check some real typos, or try with dafont.com, something a little less ordinary.
-The color for the logo should be lighter than the decoration behind it, try to make the logo in withe/yellow and the decorations darker.

Image 2:
- Work on the colours a lot! It doen't read well at all. A pro tip: when you finish your color selection, make a layer overall changin the saturation until all is in grayscale. If you can read it there, you colour choice it's OK, otherwise work it again.

Hope this works and merry christmas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebastian,

Thanks so much for the advice,

Papyrus is definitely out! I will be changing the typography in my next iteration.

I will get to work, and bring back the results!

Happy Holidays to all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Not sure if you're aware of this resource, but it has a collection of 100% Free for Commercial use fonts:

http://www.fontsquirrel.com/

It's my go to place for everything I design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taken some of the advice I've received for the card face and reworked it. I've removed the glowing effect from the text and changed the background to keep it from looking so busy and to make it match the aesthetic of the card back. I really do want to keep the left column and I like the juxtaposition of colors in this iteration.

I'm toying with the idea of having a border, I've looked at grays but I think this burgundy is quite nice. I am afraid it might wash out when printed and just appear black. Mostly, I prefer cards not to have a border and just have a full bleed background. It's still a work in progress, but let me know what you guys think.

The art has nothing to do with the card text, sorry for that. I'm using this art as a placeholder for right now just to get an idea of what it will look like with art. I am licensing this piece from the artist for the game though. His name is Rob Stilwell and you can find him on deviantart at http://robther0b0t.deviantart.com

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Definite improvement. I like the border a lot. I know you like full bleed, but that border helps tie the border around the image and the text box in with the whole design. You might want to toss some other images in there to see what it looks like with an image with a different color palette. I noticed the artwork you have is a lot of blue/burgundy so it might be why it looks so awesome all together with the face design.

Something seems off with the word "Upkeep" there since everything else is denoted by icons. Maybe a smaller circle that matches the circle you're using for the cost that's off set with it? Something similar to your original design.

Also, I'm not sure if it would be beneficial, but maybe moving the cost/upkeep circle to the left side, and having the title begin in line with the blue half of the card. This way, with cards fanned in hand (for the majority of players), you can see the numbers. Also, it would help with the title, as it could still be a tad difficult to read on that darker background.

Really like the whole design and think it fits the game well. Good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ron,

It's entirely because of the feedback that I've gotten that I've been pushed to make improvements in the design. I think you're completely right about the upkeep, although I'm not entirely sold on the idea of moving the title over. I'll play with it some more tomorrow.

I'm going to alter the initial post to ask for artists as well, as I've not gotten as many responses on deviantart as I'd like. I know it's the holiday season and people are really busy, but I'm really wanting to get some art for this game. It will be a lot easier to sell people on the game with some incredible art, and I know there are some fantastic artists here at the geek. I do want people to enjoy the mechanics as well, but it's hard to play pure mechanics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Code Mage: Source and Sorcery Art Thread - Now Seeking Artists!
It's been several days and I've been talking to a lot of very talented artists. I believe I have an artist who will do some really great work. His name is Odysseas Stamoglou. You can view some of his work at Odysseus Art. I look forward to working with him on this project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Website Art
I've commissioned another artist to do some of the art for the website. His name is Andrew Blackburn and his art can be found at Blackburn Art. Both are extremely talented and I'm looking forward to working them. Can't wait to show everyone what they're working on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the latest in the card layout and design. Am I making head way? What do you think of the art so far? I know it's rough still, but I'm really like the way things are shaping up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These are sample cards from the current iteration of the card design. There is still a lot of work to be done, but I definitely feel like progress is being made.

I was experimenting with landscape for the Mods. I don't think it will make the final cut though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.