Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Kingsley
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried this as a two-player game? I know it says it plays two on the box, but I know that can be misleading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've only played 2 player, and I found it ok. I do have the strong feeling that it'll be much better with 3 though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Pérez
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also only played it with two and I find it a lot of fun! But, then, I really like Love Letter with two, which bucks that trend, so what do I know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Bennett-Daggett
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, we've tried with 2, 3, and 4. It's a good two player game, but I'd say it's a little better with three and four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played with two, but the game obviously changes with two players. For example, in a multiplayer game people might actively be divided over how to divide up the council or the exiled characters. You almost have to be willing to place bids on characters other people placed.

In two player, there is a strong binary desire to place all of your characters on the Council or in Exile (generally the opposite of what your opponent is doing).

If you play with the poison expansion in two player, Romeo and Juliet are VERY hard to score. It's super easy to drop poison on just one of the pair to prevent both from scoring. My wife and I played a two round game. She went for the pair the first hand and lost. I went for the pair the second hand and lost. I think you can place, at most, one three on one of them and then place the rest of your counters elsewhere. You have to use A LOT of bluffing and conniving to score the pair in two player play with poison. I haven't tried 4 or 5-player games, but I suspect it will be easier to score them. more than one player will want them to score, and it may be easier to find a partner in crime to put an antidote on one while you put an antidote on the other.

The game is fun with two players, but it might wear on me with repeated plays, at least with the poison expansion. The game will undoubtedly be better with more players trying to guess secret alliances.

In multi-player play you will want to poison the characters of the lead scorer, and you may leave the last place guy alone except as collateral damage. In certain multi-player conditions, however, you may find yourself with strange bedfellows because you happen to both be placing counters on the same characters. In two-player play, you usually want to undermine your opponent whether he is in the lead or way behind, so the choices are not quite as varied.

Just as an FYI, you REALLY want to play one hand with every player in last position to play a card. The last position player has a HUGE and powerful advantage in some situations, particularly with the poison expansion. So playing a single hand, quick, two-player, pub game may not be realistic.

I would definitely player two-player Council of Verona again, but I'd much prefer to play it with more players or to try two-players without the poison expansion.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.