Subject: What I didn't like about X-wing. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
X-wing was my first game of this type I ever played.

As much as I enjoyed the overall concept, there were many things I did not like.

////////////////////////////////

It took too long to setup.

The game tends to play at a slow pace.

The miniature were very fragile, or at least they felt that way.

The constant need to measure for distance when moving, and the overlapping problems when other units were in the way.

The need to buy individual units.

The space needed to play.

////////////////////////////////

I'm hoping Diskwars resolves many of the issue I had with x-wing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:

It took too long to setup.

If you don't count army building then the game can be setup in about 5 minutes.

Mike1977 wrote:

The game tends to play at a slow pace.

I think it plays alittle faster than xwing simply because you roll less dice and measure less.
Mike1977 wrote:

The miniature were very fragile, or at least they felt that way.

No minis, just disks so there is nothing to break, although I'm sure that eventually the disks will show some play wear unless there is some way to protect them. It should take a while as they are very high quality.
Mike1977 wrote:

The constant need to measure for distance when moving, and the overlapping problems when other units were in the way.

Overlapping is the whole point
Mike1977 wrote:

The need to buy individual units.

all in one box at least for this initial release
Mike1977 wrote:

The space needed to play.

Space will be similar to X-wing

It is a very fun game I'd recommend picking it up as it seems to improve on many of your issues, but it isn't anything at all like x-wing though so don't expect anything similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le-Roy Karunaratne
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would argue that this likely won't be your thing.

If space was an issue, space will continue to be so.
This initial box seems to have plenty of game in it, but they are going to bring out expansions for each race and more races on top of that. These won't be necessary purchases, but is how the game was designed.

I am assuming x-wing took a long time to setup because you didn't have lists ready to go. Therefore, I assume you will do the same for this game, so it will take equally long. Both games are faster with pre-generated lists ready to go. Luckily FFG have inserted a few examples at the back of the book, using these will speed up setup times.

Play time wise, I can't really say. As mentioned above, you roll and measure less. But because movements aren't constricted there may be more time spent thinking about maneuvers on each turn.

Personally, I'm massively looking forward to it. But in your case I suggest you keep a wary eye on it. At least wait for reviews and maybe see if FFG post some news in January about the future expansions of the product.

Note, there is already a forum thread asking whether we need to buy 1 or 2 core sets. Although I don't have an opinion on that yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I had similar issues with XWING and sold my stuff. I think disk wars will solve most of our issues and be a great game!

Nothing to break, no measuring, no overlapping issues, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
no overlapping issues

I'll repeat what Darksbane said above, overlapping is the whole point in Diskwars!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Ender Wiggin wrote:
jgortner wrote:
no overlapping issues

I'll repeat what Darksbane said above, overlapping is the whole point in Diskwars!

I probably explain this wrong. I wsa referring to all the overlaping problems during movement. From what I see here, disks just lie on disks, no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.