Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my humble opinion, what board-gamers are lacking right now, more than anything, is a reliable method of finding other gamers who like the same kind of games they do. This post reminded me of this.

BGG is an excellent resource, arguably the best resource gamers have. In every user's collection is an option to mark each game as "Owned" and/or "Want to Play". What's missing is a good way to get that information. It would be awesome if I could search for players of a specific game within an area, based upon what they have marked as "Owned" or "Want to Play". (Even better would be if BGG could recommend other users to me, based upon proximity and the games they like!)

This would, of course, be best for players of niche games. I find it hard to find players for some of Fantasy Flight's LCGs, like Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game and Warhammer: Invasion, as well as CCGs like The Spoils and BattleTech CCG. This would also be great for those people who want to play games that their regular gaming group doesn't enjoy. I have a friend who loves games like Space Empires: 4X, but has a hard time finding anybody to play them with. Similarly, I don't get to play Thunderstone or Quarriors! very often, because it has fallen out of favor in my gaming groups. I could go on and on.

Anyway, I wanted to suggest this because the data is already there, but there's no good way to get at it right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank god for that, I thought you were going to susgest some awful Geek dating app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
You can start a thread based on your local area,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Leppo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To find other gamers with similar interests (ratings) use the tool below.

http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/bgg/correlation.php

It will match your ratings against all others (or a specific user) and show a correlation (0-1) between users. Then you can click on the users to go to their profiles and see where they live.

Personally, I use the list to find like minded users. Then I put them in a buddy list and use the buddy list features to find games they like that I don't already own/know about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
The big problem with that tool is that its "the data is fairly meaningless with small sample sets" considers huge number of ratings like 50 as still a "small sample set".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:
You can start a thread based on your local area,

A database query would have several advantages over posting a thread.

For one, you don't have to worry about whether or not somebody's seen the thread. For some of the games I'm thinking of, the message boards are practically dead, so if I did post something there I'm likely to get few, if any, replies. A lot of people have these games collecting dust in their closets. So, while they might not see a thread, they might respond to a GeekMail.

For two, it's unwieldy to have to start a new thread for every game. Or periodically reposting to the thread, to keep it fresh. ("Hey, still looking for somebody, here!" Yuck.)

Like I said, the data is already there; there just needs to be a way to access it. I've seen a couple of sites attempt this kind of thing in the past, such as NearbyGamers.com. Unfortunately, these sites weren't very successful, because nobody has the user base BGG does. BGG is in the unique position of making something like this work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be sure, you are familiar with the zipcode-based "Find User" function at http://boardgamegeek.com/users.php ?

It doesn't try to match game preferences, but it's a start. Just for U.S. addresses, unfortunately.

At your BGG profile, under "Geekstuff", you can specify if you want other gamers to be able to find you in the database.

Edit: I see that this is mentioned (in a pretty big font) in the linked article. Oh well, maybe this post is still useful for people who didn't folow that link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
PaleHorseRider wrote:
To find other gamers with similar interests (ratings) use the tool below.

http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/bgg/correlation.php

It will match your ratings against all others (or a specific user) and show a correlation (0-1) between users. Then you can click on the users to go to their profiles and see where they live.

Personally, I use the list to find like minded users. Then I put them in a buddy list and use the buddy list features to find games they like that I don't already own/know about.

"These users don't have enough common games to calculate the correlation." Hmmm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pijll wrote:
Just to be sure, you are familiar with the zipcode-based "Find User" function at http://boardgamegeek.com/users.php ?

It doesn't try to match game preferences, but it's a start. Just for U.S. addresses, unfortunately.

At your BGG profile, under "Geekstuff", you can specify if you want other gamers to be able to find you in the database.

You still have to click through each user's collection, which can be pretty time-consuming if there are a lot of geeks nearby. As I said, NearbyGamers.com would be perfect, if only more people used it. There's a slim chance I could program something. Doesn't BGG have a public API?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pirate_chef wrote:
There's a slim chance I could program something. Doesn't BGG have a public API?

Don't know anything about it, but I can provide a geekurl: /xmlapi?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Related suggestions:

Finding gamers:
02/01 11-12-07 Improve "Find Users" feature...search by last login (by justnord)
Find Gamers search distance (by lj1983) (status: workaround available)
Extending Find Gamers page to other countries (by Welshmilla)
Gamers nearby (by anomander64) (status: workaround available)
Combine Username search with local area search... (by DKahnt) (status: noted)
02/04 29-03-12 Find Users - Filter by last online date (by oriecat)
02/02 08-05-12 Bring back a function of the user search (by Eeeville)
07/09 25-09-12 Find Users who "Want to Play" (by pirate_chef)
04/03 28-12-13 Filter "Find Gamers" by last login date (by Morganza)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.