Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Tewell
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a copy for my gaming group a couple weeks ago and we finally cracked it open last night...however since we have never played any form of Risk we didnt really know where to start as far as where do we set our initial troops and HG...i am assuming the rule book was written for people who have played Risk before, but where is all the info for people who have never touched Risk?? Any help would be appreciated thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be able to Google or YouTube a video instruction on how to set up the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an unopened Risk Legacy on my shelf...are there really NO instructions for how to set up and play? That doesn't make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
I have an unopened Risk Legacy on my shelf...are there really NO instructions for how to set up and play? That doesn't make sense.

Included in Risk Legacy is a very clear rulebook that details everything you would need to know, including setting the game up.

If you go to the Risk Legacy page here on bgg, and scroll down to the web links section, you can even download a copy of the rulebook from the Hasbro web site.

On page 7 of this rulebook, it states the following. I underlined the passage that answers the OP's question.

Risk Legacy Rules wrote:
BEFORE THE FIRST TURN

Before selecting your Faction, it’s important to note where you can start on the board. A legal starting territory is either:
• An unoccupied territory that has no marks (no scars or cities) OR
• An unoccupied territory that contains a Major City that you founded in an earlier game, (even if it has a scar on it).
Note: At the start of the game, you cannot place your HQ adjacent to another faction’s HQ.

Lay out the Faction cards, face up on the table and roll dice to determine who will get to choose first.

The player with the highest roll goes first, choosing a faction card and taking the troops and HQ of that faction. Place your faction’s troops in front of you. At the start of the game, you get your full starting troop total, which is 8. Take 8 troops from your faction’s color along with your HQ and place them in a legal starting territory.

The rulebook continues from there, stating to go clockwise and repeat.

Good luck conquering the your world!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you'll want to print off that rulebook, because it will change, just like the game
have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
teweller wrote:
however since we have never played any form of Risk

This baffles me, how have none of you played before? RISK was my first REAL board game. I first saw it played in the School Library on rainy day when no one was on the playground at lunch. That must have been 4th or 5th grade.

I hope you get your questioned answered and enjoy the game. Legacy is the best version of RISK to date IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
klurejr wrote:
teweller wrote:
however since we have never played any form of Risk

This baffles me, how have none of you played before? RISK was my first REAL board game. I first saw it played in the School Library on rainy day when no one was on the playground at lunch. That must have been 4th or 5th grade.

I hope you get your questioned answered and enjoy the game. Legacy is the best version of RISK to date IMO.

Risk Legacy was my first game of Risk ever. My friends played it in high school before I met them (College friends) so by the time I started playing board games the entire group had already moved on to different war games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
Sparticuse wrote:
Risk Legacy was my first game of Risk ever. My friends played it in high school before I met them (College friends) so by the time I started playing board games the entire group had already moved on to different war games.

wow. Well you have to play original World Domination Risk as least once in your life then to truly understand how the game has changed.

I think I romanticize it a bit, but I still think it is one of the best war games ever made and is perfect for PvP with friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you romanticize it a LOT. I never liked Risk until I played Risk 2210. now THAT is an AWESOME game. It hard to say whether it or Legacy is better.

I've been playing various sorts of boardgames my entire life. So long that I have no idea which was first.... might be Candyland though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.