1 , 2  Next »   | 

Super Dungeon Explore» Forums » General

Subject: So many female heroes in SDE rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lion Noir
msg tools
mb
Why? Is it a chibi thing? I'd love to see more male heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's way more male and ambiguous minions, denizens, and mini-bosses, and there isn't a female boss yet, so it really doesn't bother me at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lion Noir
msg tools
mb
Male heroes characters

BASE SET
-Royal Paladin
-Deeproot Druid(Angry Bear)
-Heartsworn Fighter

CAVERN OF ROXOR
-Deeproot Scout
-Star Guild Sapper

VON DRAKK MANOR
-Von Wilding/Von Wilder

RELIC KNIGHTS KICKSTARTER
-Sebastian Cross

FOGOTTEN KING
-Lancer Knight(name unknown)

Female Heroes Characters

BASE SET
-Glimmerdusk Ranger
-Ember Mage
-Hexcast Sorceress
-Riftling Rogue
-Claw Tribe Barbarian

CAVERN OF ROXOR
-Princess Ruby

VON DRAKK MANOR
-Celestial Herald
-Sister of Light

LIMITED EDITION
-Candy and Cola
-Nyan Nyan

RELIC KNIGHTS KICKSTARTER
-Calico Kate
-Princess Malya
-One Shot
-Conifier Kisa

FOGOTTEN KING
-Centaur Girl(name unknown)
-Sniper Girl(name unknow)

TOTAL COUNT Male:8 Female:16

So, yeah, I dislike playing female characters. I love buying new heroes. No big deal but still, I'd love to see more male heroes for SDE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Hmm, never realised. Guess I just don't care about this stuff (ditto when it's the reverse.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Svengaard wrote:
There's way more male and ambiguous minions, denizens, and mini-bosses, and there isn't a female boss yet, so it really doesn't bother me at all.

Succubus Vandella is a female (mini) boss.

Personally it doesn't bother me though. Nice to see some female representation to be honest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Noel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
They're probably using the "sex sells" method and putting lots of buxom, cute girls on the front line.

As for the male baddies, a lot of them are rather ambiguous, (how do you tell the difference between male and female reptiles, skeletons, and fire?) but it is more socially "okay" to kill guys than girls.

That being said, I still say the "Sister" of Light is actually a cross-dressing dude a la Bridget
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it a refreshing change of pace from the usual boys-club approach to Fantasy. Could well be influenced by anime which does tend to have much stronger female representation than American media.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Jensen
msg tools
My girlfriend hates when she has to play male characters. She is very pleased with the many female heroes in this game, and I can't imagine she is the only one with this approach.

I'm personally not bothered either way.

As for the "why"? Maybe to reel in some of the female audience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Thornton
Australia
Edgeworth
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malefacus wrote:
TOTAL COUNT Male:8 Female:16

So for the majority of people out there that have this game (plus the currently available retail expansions) without the limited edition figures, kickstarter figures and the unreleased expansion the total count is:
Male:6 Female:8

or with the upcoming Forgotten King expansion

Male:7 Female: 10

I don't see this as a major issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bennett
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Anyone notice there are NO female characters in everyone's favorite Hero Quest? Geez, I can't believe this is a thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lovesquid wrote:
They're probably using the "sex sells" method and putting lots of buxom, cute girls on the front line.

That's a bit disturbing considering how cutesy the game is, IMO.

I do like the fact that there's a lot of female characters, though. My gaming group is predominantly female, so it's nice to see some representation. I'd like to see more female monsters, though. The only ones we have right now are Vandella and the Curse Coven Witches, right? I'm not sure if the Dust Coven Necromancer is supposed to be female, though. And it does look like there will be more female monsters in the Forgotten King.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
would be cool if they made male and female counter parts for all the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philbuni wrote:
Anyone notice there are NO female characters in everyone's favorite Hero Quest? Geez, I can't believe this is a thread.

The dwarf is a female
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael leers
Germany
dortmund
flag msg tools
mbmb
the female babarian in bq is also female.

but most guy like the paladin " i took the guy with the sword"
oer i like "the sword with the boy"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RIK FONTANA
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like most, I don't have a problem, per se.
In fact, my gaming group has more women than men (altho as expected they are not into the Fantasy or Fighting stuff as much). But just picked up the game and plan to run an all-gals night to let them play together as the Heros.

Still, I have to laugh at this game's use of the Feminine within the rules. I notice more and more game companys doing this. As the Consul sets up, the rules refer to "She does this" and "She does that". It's laughable to me, and seems like they are pandering to political correctness, or at least an attempt to pretend their game is so Cool that girls want to play the Dungeon-Master!

Yeah. Right.
Take a close look at the play-testers involved with SDE.
Every one of them was a Guy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here's an idea, why don't they just take the Diablo 3 approach and come out with male and female versions of the already made "classes" in some type of optional expansion sets. Sure it would be more sculpts and molds to make, but it would then please everyone who wants to see each version.

The Board game Shadows of Brimstone took this approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth is also releasing male and female versions of their heroes (or female and animal in some cases!). I think it's a really cool idea. It's probably a bit late for SDE to do this mind, I can't see there being much interest in additional sculpts of the same heroes at this point, so from a financial point of view it's probably not worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I find the concept of male and female versions of each hero to be an amazing waste of resources. I'd much rather use the moulding cost to get new content.
I can accept it in games where heroes are "generic" and you can have more than one of that class (such as Shadows over brimstone) but doing it for a game where a hero is an actual character I find nuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't care a whit what gender my playing piece is as long as it's not just the females that are sexed up (if any are at all). And of course, they are in SDE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carolina Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
Our group of friends discussed this too the other day and the guys said: - "Well its very simple, guys has nothing against playing a female character while women never wants to play male characters."
- "Thats doesnt sound really true", I answered
- "Really?! How many male characters do you have on any of your game accounts for example world of warcraft?"
- "None..."
- "And I have like half if not more"

So one theory is that to lure in the females they give us female characters.

One of my theories is also what above said that there are many females in anime so as that is one of their inspirations they have made many females.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lion Noir
msg tools
mb
Ok with FK it's still going heavily in favor of Female heroes. Come on SPM, give us some cool male heroes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Catchpole
Australia
Ashfield
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malefacus wrote:
Ok with FK it's still going heavily in favor of Female heroes. Come on SPM, give us some cool male heroes!

I definitely agree with you. At least the latest heroes they're adding as stretch goals are guys. The imbalance was getting a little extreme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rikolus wrote:

Still, I have to laugh at this game's use of the Feminine within the rules. I notice more and more game companys doing this. As the Consul sets up, the rules refer to "She does this" and "She does that". It's laughable to me, and seems like they are pandering to political correctness, or at least an attempt to pretend their game is so Cool that girls want to play the Dungeon-Master!

Yeah. Right.
Take a close look at the play-testers involved with SDE.
Every one of them was a Guy!

Sounds more like you're really threatened by it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
KindredSprites wrote:
Malefacus wrote:

I definitely agree with you. At least the latest heroes they're adding as stretch goals are guys. The imbalance was getting a little extreme.

Seriously? Show me some posts of yours complaining about how every other game ever made is imbalanced the other way and I'll take this concern seriously.

Otherwise you're just complaining that you suddenly aren't the majority in your plastic fantasy game and it makes you feel uncomfortable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Catchpole
Australia
Ashfield
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
KindredSprites wrote:
Malefacus wrote:

Seriously? Show me some posts of yours complaining about how every other game ever made is imbalanced the other way and I'll take this concern seriously.

Otherwise you're just complaining that you suddenly aren't the majority in your plastic fantasy game and it makes you feel uncomfortable.

I'm not interested in you taking me seriously. There's no way we'd agree on this subject nor that we'd consider the other sides point of view in any sort of discussion on the topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.