Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Mathis
United States
Russellville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this for Christmas and I'm really excited to get into it. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a 2 character run through with a good balance of skills and stats. I'm thinking one high health character and one with high Intellect. but other then that I don't really know if some of the skills are more important then others. Also any common pitfall or gotchas from your early games as far as rules and game play goes?

I never played AH so any references to that game will be lost to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had good success with Trish and Jacqueline.

Don't lose focus on what you are trying to do: solve mysteries.

For the first few games, it was far too easy for me to get caught up in putting out fires that wouldn't cause a game loss. However, you will need experience to know which fires become a game loss when ignored.

As for pitfalls and surprises, there are tons and that's the fun part! You can't be prepared for all of them. Making sure each character has at least one clue at all times can help, though.

One thing I was doing wrong in my first game happened during the Monster Surge. The back of the reference guide is not clear, but inside the guide is. During a Monster Surge, you spawn a new gate (with monster) any time there is not a gate on the board that matches the current omen, not if no gates are on the board.

Enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our downfall has not been focusing 110% on game-ending rumors when they come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've been running Charlie Kane and Lily recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Rex
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthewabair wrote:
Our downfall has not been focusing 110% on game-ending rumors when they come up.

Listen to this man, he is wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Reference Guild there is a little section on "Skills" that will tell you what skills are most often used in which encounters. I would suggest picking two investigators that have different skills sets to cover most of those bases.

Other than that: READ TO COMPLETION THE RULE BOOK. Before starting your first game. You can read the Reference Guild later but a lot of recent questions are clearly covered in the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lily is a good investigator for 2 players, as she can quickly improve her skills and become very strong and very balanced.

There are quite a few partners for her, which can do well; Trish is pretty strong, and always has a clue token; Silas has excellent movement ability, which can be one of the challenges of a 2-investigator game; Leo is balanced, with the ability to grab allies to augment himself wherever he is located.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Davis
msg tools
mbmb
I'll throw in a vote for Silas as well. He's solid in 4 of 5 skills, has excellent mobility, and even gets a situational bump on sea spaces. I also found Akachi is also surprisingly good since she can make sure gates don't spawn half the map away and can hop around the map from hotspot to hotspot while closing gates. Her starting spell is also fantastic for quickly closing gates or resolving important encounters, and unless the monster has a nasty reckoning or you're against the GOO that punishes you for high monster counts, most monsters really can be safely ignored.

My first game was those two against Azathoth and they worked together really well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.