Jens Thernström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont remeber the exact name but I think the monster is called Shade and needs an inclusion of the magic trait in the test to be considered beaten.

I played as the Rogue with twó light crossbows and had closed all but the last two locations, in one of them the shade resided and in the other the villian, since I lacked a card usable in a combat check with the magic trait I could not defeat the Shade and close the location, failed the previous check the Henchman provided.

So am I just stuck in this situation or did I miss something?

Regards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joan Prats
Spain
Palma de Mallorca
Illes Balears
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You could go to the other location,and beat the villain, closing it, and sending him to the location with the shade. Keep evading the shade if you encounter it, until you encounter the villain.

Sorry about my english
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wordlyweko wrote:
Dont remeber the exact name but I think the monster is called Shade and needs an inclusion of the magic trait in the test to be considered beaten.

I played as the Rogue with twó light crossbows and had closed all but the last two locations, in one of them the shade resided and in the other the villian, since I lacked a card usable in a combat check with the magic trait I could not defeat the Shade and close the location, failed the previous check the Henchman provided.

So am I just stuck in this situation or did I miss something?

Regards.


You can defeat the henchman in the other location, let the villain escape to the other location, then encounter the villain in that location. It is possible that you may encounter the Shade before it, in which case you just try to survive it then hope the reshuffle lets you encounter the villain sooner than later.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your only hope in that situation is to go find and defeat the villain in his location. You will automatically close it and he will escape to the open location with the shade.

Then you have to go explore the last location and hope to defeat the villain only final time. If you encounter the shade, you'll have to defeat or evade him and keep exploring until you get the villain.

A tough situation at lower levels. Get a magic weapon ASAP!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Thernström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, seems obvious after you all pointed it out but guess it slipped my mind after getting beaten to the ground by the shade a couple of times now^^
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing solo with a single character, some encounters and scenarios become more difficult. This is one of the reasons why the rules recommend playing with at least two characters when you play solo.

The rules also say that when you do end up playing solo, that there are certain cards that can cause greater difficulty, and talk about how to remedy that:

Rules wrote:
Some cards are particularly difficult in solo play. If your
character can’t ever get out of the Treacherous Cave, your scenario
will grind to a halt. When you encounter such a card, remove it
from the game and replace it with another card of the same type
that roughly matches its power level but isn’t quite so impossible
to overcome.


So keep that in mind for the future. Even if a card is 'beatable' such as the Shade, but having to run, find the villain, defeat it to make it run to the shade, then defeat it there to get rid of the shade, that's a bit over the top to take care of a single card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Thernström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, if I do not see another shade I will be very happy so might just replace it if I keep playing solo, have tried beating the opening scenario 4 times now and failed each attempt mainly becouse of the shade.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
wordlyweko wrote:
Thanks, seems obvious after you all pointed it out but guess it slipped my mind after getting beaten to the ground by the shade a couple of times now^^


Didn't you say you were playing as the rogue? There's absolutely no reason to get "beaten to the ground" by something you can't defeat. The rogue can evade any card she encounters...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
wordlyweko wrote:
Thanks, seems obvious after you all pointed it out but guess it slipped my mind after getting beaten to the ground by the shade a couple of times now^^


Didn't you say you were playing as the rogue? There's absolutely no reason to get "beaten to the ground" by something you can't defeat. The rogue can evade any card she encounters...
The issue is that even if you evade a card, it still ends up in the location, so you can't close the location without dealing with a henchman or the villain. You never get a chance to close the location because it's empty, because it never gets empty.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
firedale2002 wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
wordlyweko wrote:
Thanks, seems obvious after you all pointed it out but guess it slipped my mind after getting beaten to the ground by the shade a couple of times now^^


Didn't you say you were playing as the rogue? There's absolutely no reason to get "beaten to the ground" by something you can't defeat. The rogue can evade any card she encounters...
The issue is that even if you evade a card, it still ends up in the location, so you can't close the location without dealing with a henchman or the villain. You never get a chance to close the location because it's empty, because it never gets empty.


I get that. He just made it sound like he was losing fights to it with his choice of words.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Thernström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah sorry about my incorrect use of english idioms, firedale hits the nail on the head and what I meant with my previosu statement was just that the Shade made it seem impossible to win a scenario, thus beating me into the ground, but thats off topic.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.