Popular Tags: [View All]
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started playing role playing games as a teenager and played voraciously through college. Sadly my career choice cut out any semblance of schedule out of my life and therefore pen and paper RPGS. My friends and I still get together to play board games. But I miss that epic feeling of a RPG campaign. My wife and I are spending the holidays with a one of my old college buddy's, so I got this idea that we could play a board game with some serious strategy. Then  I read about Descent Second Edition. It's a board game/role playing game. Oh boy the best of both worlds. The campaign mode consists of nine quests. We played the first quest last night. 

Me: The Evil Overload (mwahahaha!)
Melisa: Grisbane the Thirsty - Beserker & Ashrian - Spiritseeker
Peter: Leoric of the Book - Runemaster & Jain Fairwood - Wildlander

The campaign: Journeys in the Dark

Session 1: First Blood
This quest is the shortest one in the campaign designed to help the players learn the basics of the game. I, the Evil Overlord, have ambushed a caravan and my minions are taking a short cut to the fair city of Arhynn (say that three time fast). The heroes moved right in and Leoric hit my badly placed ettin Mauler. My first mistake was placing him in the firing line. I thought I'd get away with it by retreating. The goblins quickly scampered toward the exit and victory was in sight. Sadly I didn't read my overlord cards carefully and finished my turn before playing Dark Charm. Needless to say the meddlesome heroes made short work of my ettins with Grisbane chopping poor Mauler to pieces. Drat it!!! The only saving grace is the heroes didn't manage to get any treasure. 

The heroes have chosen "The Fat Goblin" as the next quest in the campaign. I have some surprises for them next time we meet in "Journeys in the Dark". devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
The only saving grace is the heroes didn't manage to get any treasure.

This really is the best outcome you can expect from First Blood as the Overlord, unless your heroes play extremely poorly or have terrible luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Budapest wrote:
The only saving grace is the heroes didn't manage to get any treasure.

This really is the best outcome you can expect from First Blood as the Overlord, unless your heroes play extremely poorly or have terrible luck.

Or you have amazing luck yourself.

In my case, the heroes went for the Ettin straight away, and with all 5 Goblins on the board, and only one of them out of range of the staircase, I drew Dash and won the encounter on turn 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.